Profile for Mr. James West > Reviews

Content by Mr. James West

Mr. James West "Nebulous" (Aberdeen, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
U380 OBD 2 II EOBD Car Diagnose Tester Diagnostic Scanner U380
U380 OBD 2 II EOBD Car Diagnose Tester Diagnostic Scanner U380
Offered by YES MY GADGET

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me, 18 May 2014
I bought a cheap car, which showed an engine error code and oredered this diagnostic scanner. I paid extra for next day delivery because I wanted to get it resolved - and it didn't work! I got the dreaded 'linking error.'

It is claimed to work for every European market car from 2004, but my car is a late 2004 Kia Rio and it doesn't work on it.

On a slightly different note, lots of people such as a big car parts chain and a big catalogue chain used to sell scanners and they have all stopped. I'm not sure why, but they seem to have gone out of fashion. I don't think the technology has kept up and a lot of scanners being sold are pretty old models.

So it's hard for me to judge this piece of equipment. It may work for some people, but it certainly doesn't cover the range of cars it claims to and my one is now going to be sold off on Gumtree.

[USB3.0 with 5V/2A Charge Port] Inateck® 5-Port USB 3.0 Hub (4-Port USB 3.0 + One 5V 2A Charging Port) for Samsung Tablet Computers, Apple iPad and Smartphone, With 5V 4A Power Adapter & 1M USB 3.0 Cable
Offered by Inateck

5.0 out of 5 stars Works effortlessly!, 11 May 2014
My desktop computer has two usb ports on the front and four at the back. However the two ports on the front are a bit dodgy and with printer, mouse, keyboard, mobile phone,external hard disk, camera and mp3 player all being plugged out and in I'm pretty short of slots. So when I was offered the opportunity to review this I jumped at it.

The hub arrived quickly, it was securely packaged and my first thought was how neat it was. It has a mains powered transformer and a switch with a blue light on top. I plugged the devices in, switched on and I was up and running with no drama. Everything I've tried so far has worked. Sometimes the computer will give a message it is installing my device but that doesn't cause any problems.

One thing I didn't expect to use much but which has proved very useful is the powered slot on the side. I often plug my mobile phone into a usb slot and charging that way can be quite slow. That means I often end up taking it out partially charged which I don't like. The powered slot however is really quick. Plugging it in there charges it quicker than the charger that came with it does. With a work and a personal mobile I find I'm using that slot every day.

So all-in-all its been great. I've had it about six weeks now and it just sits there working away and doing everything I ask of it without complaint. A pretty solid five stars in my book.

MetroFlash Danger Zone Tail Light
MetroFlash Danger Zone Tail Light
Offered by GsportsUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright and cheerful, 5 May 2013
I'm a very keen cyclist and so accepted readily when I was offered the opportunity to review this light.

I've had it for a few weeks now, with limited opportunities to really try it out, mainly because of the weather. I've finally given it a good test and feel I can give a reasonable picture of how it has been.

First of all the light. This one is bright, seriously bright. Two LEDs are better than one and if people don't see you with this then they're not going to see you at all. Being picky I would have preferred a mode with one LED on solid and one on flash. A flashing light helps people see you, but a solid one is better for motorists judging distance so I usually have one of each on the back.

Secondly a bright light is very little use if it fails elsewhere. I have found there are two main causes of failure for cycle lights. Sometimes they shake themselves out of the mount and get run over or break and secondly water gets in the seals and destroys the electrics. This one is doing well on both counts so far. I haven't tested it on a long wet ride, but it has been out in a couple of showers and is holding up well.

So all-in-all a very good light. A very solid 4 stars.

Safe House
Safe House

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-paced thriller, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Safe House (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book because it had been selling well and it was a good price, without expecting very much. I found a thriller with a lot of twists and a steady well-paced tale. I've never been to the Isle of Man, but the descriptions and layout were very believable and it appeared as though the writer knew it well.

I wanted to find out what would happen next and read it relatively quickly. Too few good guys for me, with no-one really coming out well, but a pretty solid 4 stars none the less.

PowerGen 8400mAh Dual USB Port External Battery Pack Power Bank Backup Charger with Built-In Flashlight for Smart phones, Android Phones, iPad mini, iPhone 5 (Lightning adapters not included), iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, HTC One X / V / S, Sensation, EVO, Nokia Lumia 920 N9, Motorola Razr, Blackberry Z10, Sony Xperia Z, Google Nexus 4 and More

5.0 out of 5 stars An answer to a growing problem, 17 Jun 2012
Smartphones now do things that we never even dreamed of 10 years ago. Who would have imagined that a phone would be replacing your satnav, your diary and giving you internet on the move? The big issue though is that batteries just haven't kept up. I used to charge my mobile phone every 5-6 days, now I need to charge my iphone pretty much every day. Now that's all very well when I'm at home, but I also camp away from a power supply, and have become a very keen cyclist. Going touring, even for a couple of days, and using an app such as cyclemeter, drains a phone in about 5 hours tracking. I had looked at charging options a long time ago, but didn't really trust them. So getting given one of these to review was an opportunity to see whether it would work for me.

The unit came packed with a range of adapters, and arrived fully charged. It advised against using Nokia's own cable, and said you should use the supplied cable, which I did. Plugging in both my Nokia and my iphone worked well, and charging was surprisingly fast. I didn't time them, but I'm sure both charges were completed faster than they would have been with their respective chargers. The Nokia wouldn't work with the higher powered of the 2 ports, but the iphone was happy to. The lights on the front give an indication of how well charged the unit is, and stay on during charging, so you can tell as it is running down. It took a big hit charging both phones, but recovered slightly once the first phone was fully charged.

The biggest reservation I had about this battery pack is that it doesn't come with a UK charger, and I wondered just how long it would take to charge through a USB port. Luckily I didn't have to, as an iphone charger provides a USB output. I simply plugged the juice pack into it, and it worked.

So far I've been away overnight on one occasion, where we fully charged 3 phones all from different manufacturers, I've tried it twice in the house, and have used it once when I went out for the day without charging my phone first. Each time it has worked well with no dramas, and has done exactly what it says it will. The speed of charging always amazes me, and I'd use it in preference to the charger if I was in a hurry. I even found an opportunity to use the built-in torch on an overnight camp.

I have posted a photo in the product description showing it charging 2 phones and the range of supplied connectors. So all-in-all a worthy 5 stars in my view. A modern high-tech product, which fills an annoying gap for me. All I need now is some decent weather to get away on my bike!

Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Digital Camera - Black (14.1 MP, 12x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD with Wide Viewing Angle (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a camera - again!, 26 Nov 2011
I can't believe that I'm back again reviewing a Canon powershot - but I am. I saw this one come out, with no intention of buying it, but there was a good price on Amazon, cashback from Canon, and a relative needing a camera, so I couldn't resist passing the old one on and buying the SX150is. It's available in silver and red as options, but I stuck to black.

First of all this is a superzoom camera, which means it has a big range of focal lengths. This gives a body which is slightly bigger than most pocket-sized cameras, but the benefit is the ability to zoom in - and boy can you zoom in! It has a 12x optical zoom and to indicate what that means; I was standing so my shed was filling about a quarter of the screen, and then zoomed in fully and the fairly small shed window filled the screen on the optical zoom, without resorting to the digital zoom. It is the equivalent of 28 mm to 336 mm, for a 35mm camera, which is as much as you are ever likely to want.

Power is provided by AA batteries, which doesn't suit everyone, but it really works for me. We have dozens of high capacity rechargeables, and they are long-lasting, with charged spares always to hand. The original alkalines didn't do very well though, so try to use rechargeables. If you are going to carry them charged for a long time it's also worth getting the long-lasting ones.

The sensor has been upgraded to 14.1 megapixels, from 12 before, which helps in low light, and is all anyone is ever likely to need for everyday family use.
Settings are simple to use, with lots of manual options. I tend to ignore the easy mode and go straight to auto option, which has 31 settings for the camera to choose from. Then you can move to SCN mode, which I generally use for scenery and people. Then there are the programme modes, and finally manual settings.

There are various filter modes, including a miniature scene mode, toy camera mode and colour swap. I rarely use them, but they're useful for a bit of fun. Speaking of fun smart shutter, smile detection takes a photo when it detects someone smiling. It may seem a little gimmicky, but it does actually work, and has improved photos of people - maybe because they know they're stuck there until they smile!

Photo quality is very good, probably an advance on the last one. Because of the large sensor you can blow the photos up quite large, and retain the detail. Canon reckons you can print to A2. I rarely print photos, but like to use the highest quality setting nevertheless. A 4gb memory card holds around 1000 photos at the highest resolution. Even zoomed in the detail is good, with the image stabilisation working to reduce shake. Colours are good, very realistic, although I have sometimes detected a slight yellowish cast indoors.

I have tried the video, and am quite happy with it, but it isn't why I bought the camera, and I'm unlikely to use it very often.

It's worth giving the software a quick shout as well. I like zoombrowser to upload new photos to my computer with very little fuss. Plug in the camera, switch it on and off you go.

So all-in-all this quality of camera, with this range of zoom, with an overwhelming range of manual settings, but very good photos out-of-the box in auto mode, has to be worth 5 stars.

Edit 27-12-11 I've added two photos of Leith Hall to the product description. They are intended to show the range of the zoom, rather than being held up as good photos. They were both taken from the same place, one at the wide-angle setting, and the other fully zoomed in, using the optical zoom only. As you can see it really does have a huge range.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2013 8:57 PM GMT

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest [Blu-ray] [1976] [Region Free]
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest [Blu-ray] [1976] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Jack Nicholson

4.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong, 3 Oct 2011
I bought this bluray months ago, and have only just got round to watching it.

Although parts of it are dated, I had forgotten just how powerful a message it carries, about 'man's inhumanity to man.' A classic exploration of the theme of mental illness, and just who exactly is ill?

Strong performances by a lot of the cast- including a young Danny DeVito, though of course Jack Nicholson was also very good. However for me Louise Fletcher as Nurse Ratched stole the show in an oscar winning performance - one of the greatest baddies of all time.

Picture Quality: The picture is in 1.85:1, filling the whole screen on a wide-screen TV, and is pretty good. It has been cleaned up, and has a fresh clean look, with slightly muted colours but good depth of field, particularly outdoors. The crisp white nurses unifoms provide a really effective contrast in some scenes, with the symbolic dirty hat being handed back to Nurse Ratched near the end. Facial features are very well done throughout the film, particularly in some of the close-ups.

Audio: The sound is good, but it is still short of being reference quality. Dialogue is clear, which is always my preference, with most of the sound coming from the front speakers.

All-in-all I consider this to be a worthwhile addition to my film collection. I can recall watching it in a fairly poor version, and this HD one has definitely brought something new to my enjoyment of it. A fairly solid 4 stars in my view.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2014 6:30 PM BST

Protective Lajos Mens Waterproof Jacket
Protective Lajos Mens Waterproof Jacket

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good so far, 28 Aug 2011
Waterproof cycling jackets are a compromise, and really divide opinion. The problem is that cycling generates a lot of sweat and generally jackets don't let enough out. So inside a waterproof jacket is often wetter than outside it, the so called boil-in-the-bag effect.

If despite that you still want to get a waterproof jacket, people agree that you need to get a good breathable one made of state of the art material. In my view this is a good one.

It's lightweight, maybe not quite light enough to fit in a jersey pocket, but just about. It's made of good quality technical material, with fully taped seams, protected zips, velcro cuffs, longer tail for a cycling position, and draw strings to tighten it. Sizing is slightly on the small side, maybe not quite a size bigger, but if you are on the edge between two sizes opt for the bigger one.

Most importantly though it really seems to work. I did twenty miles recently, with a 25mph wind and horizontal rain. My jersey remained dry and the water all just ran off. The jacket took everything thrown at it quietly and unremarkably. I'm coming down firmly on the side that says buy a good waterproof jacket, rather than the one that says don't bother with waterproofs. All-in-all very good impressions so far.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but could be more durable, 24 Aug 2011
I have had Shimano spd-sl cleats for about 6 months now.

They certainly make a difference to power delivery when combined with good pedals and hard-soled shoes. I like the fact that the yellow ones have 6 degrees of float, which should be kinder on your knees. There is always the risk of a clipless moment, where you forget to unclip and fall off when you first begin to ride fastened on, but after time you get used to it, and remembering to unclip at junctions becomes second nature.

I'm slightly disappointed, because they have worn out, and have became more difficult to clip in and out even though I have tried not to walk very much on them. I have still gone ahead and replaced them, despite that, because they do the job so well.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2012 10:23 AM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Turning into a roadie!!, 29 May 2011
I started a journey last year with the purchase of a road bike. Slowly but surely I've become more and more sucked into this scene, training regularly and contemplating joining a club.

The latest step on my route has been buying a pair of these Altura bibshorts. Lots of people have recommended them, but I wasn't ready to make that leap. Then I had entered a sportive, and with an 81 mile ride coming up I weakened and bought these. Previous cycling has been in thicker tights, with a pad as well, but they came from the cheaper end of the market.

The Altura ones are thinner, more stretchy Lycra, with a thicker pad and silicone leg grippers to prevent the legs moving up. Overall the experience has been extremely positive. They are comfortable, don't chafe, and have certainly added something to my cycling experience. The pad in particular is very comfortable.

A couple of minor gripes though - Firstly I have a fairly long back and shortish legs, and the bibs seem quite tight over my shoulders. It maybe my shape, or it maybe the fact I am not used to any restrictions there, but I always notice it when I first put them on, but I am not aware of it out on the bike. Secondly my thighs are quite big and the silicone grippers felt restrictive the first couple of times I tried them. Again I was aware putting them on, but not aware on the bike. This seems to be slackening off now that they have been worn a few times.

However these minor niggles are not significant given the benefits the bibshorts bring. Cycling a country lane on a nice day feels pretty good and good fitting clothing is certainly a big part of that. All-in-all a solid 4 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8