Profile for Acquafortis > Reviews

Body Language For Dummies
Body Language For Dummies
by Elizabeth Kuhnke

4.0 out of 5 stars Making yourself understood!, 31 May 2010
I found this book quite interesting. Full of interesting facts and written in simple down to earth, easily comprehensible language.
What I would have liked is more photos to illustrate the non verbal body language the author was actually referring to.
I found very helpful the chapter on the different usage of body language in various cultures.
As an immigrant living in a foreign country I have encountered many a times difficulties in understanding or making me understood by non verbal body language. I haven't caused diplomatic crises but definitely communication could have flowed smoother both in work and social environment if I knew certain cultural differences.
A great book to start with.

The Secret
The Secret
by Rhonda Byrne
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a start., 19 May 2010
This review is from: The Secret (Hardcover)
I shall start with saying that I had seen the dvd as soon as it was out. I had this book since 2008 but I only read it now. For some reason or another I read various other books that talk about the interaction of our thoughts with the universe and the consequent creation of our own reality.
So I read this book with this kind of background and what I can say about this film and obviously the book (the book is roughly the text of the film) is that it has the merit of rendering very complicated and not so easily digested notions in a very simple ready to use information.
It has rendered public and world wide phenomena,ideas and teachings which only a certain type or group of people knew about.
It is straight to the point. Excellent graphics. A very good book to reread when some basic refreshing is needed.
The dvd/book has lighted a bulb and credit should be given to it for doing so, but it is up to us, with that light, to further our spiritual education, by reading the many many books available that go into much more depth.

Empress of the World
Empress of the World
by Sara Ryan
Price: 5.33

3.0 out of 5 stars Work in progress, 13 Dec 2009
This review is from: Empress of the World (Paperback)
I read this book in a day. It has won various prizes in young adults category and reading it I can understand why. If you are a teenage and looking for a romance suited for your age then definitely go for it.
I'm not teen aged any more but can realise the appeal that this book can have for this very delicate age group. It is simple and straight forward where everything is all or nothing.
Everything revolves around a particular event. Everything is Important. Yes there is tomorrow or the future but it is something hazy. Everything is possible. Everything feels so right that no one can stop you.
Well in this book Nicola's life stops to revolve round one special summer that eventually will change her life but she doesn't know it yet. The past and the future are not important. All importance is given to this summer, notated in a dairy with not only the date but also the precise time of its writing (something which I remember quite well doing).
All ingredients are there to convey the immediateness, the voracity and the vastness of that single one moment in time...of that one summer which we all, teen or not can some way or another relate to.
What I think this book lacks is a more detailed insight of the characters involved, a more refined story telling techniques, a maturer way of writing a book....which however as teenagers or young adults few of us had!
So what I can say about Sara Ryan in this book is: work in progress!

A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns
by Khaled Hosseini
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars An Afghan Dickens' Story, 7 Dec 2009
I gobbled this book in approximately 12 hours. If I had no social life these 12 hours would have been just straight through.
Many where the emotions that Khaled Hosseini conveyed me. What was constant was the angriness that I felt as a woman for the suffering and injustice Afghan women have to succumb to. If it was not for the ability of Hosseini to make me yearn for more I would have tossed the book away after a few chapters because I can't stand feeling powerless in front of all this anguish.
Through Hosseini's writing I've learnt more about Afghan people and their sufferings. What is compelling about this book is the extent with which emotions are dealt with, flooding one's heart as a thousand splendid suns would.
Simple and straight forward this book leads you with a fervent pace in a life we nowadays western cultured women can only imagine and recall via history books while ardently hope that one day not far away all women need not endure any more.

An Utterly Impartial History of Britain: (or 2000 Years Of Upper Class Idiots In Charge)
by John O'Farrell
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars An utterly impartial review, 4 Dec 2009
I had given this book to my mother for Christmas last year and she loved it so much that she decided that I should read it.
Well I might not always agree with my mother but this time it is an exception. It is really a great book to read.
Well it would seem quite daunting to read 2000 years of British History but O'Farrell does it brilliantly. 552 pages and I never for a moment felt those school time episodes when you would like to disappear rather to stick out another single word from that teacher.
History is told in a comical exhilarating way. Full of facts without every being boring or overwhelming. On the contrary it made me search on internet for more facts.
I was fascinated by his now and again explanations of certain expressions or words that we use today but have come a long way through history.
I would recommended it as a school text book because it will finally take away the dullness that most of us had to endure while studying history and instill in those who read it the eagerness to know more (which is what teaching should actually be about especially history).
One episode really made me laugh and think. At the end of the book O'Farrell describes the British way of disagreeing with something. So you would like to start with writing to a local newspaper, then a petition and if you really feel strongly about it "there's always the poster in the front window".
I laughed because that is what I do.
Probably here O'Farrell would have something funny to say as how we ex-British colonies have acquired the bizarre customs of the British Empire and eventually export it to wherever we go obliviously of how silly or alien those methods can seem to others.

The Sunday Philosophy Club (Isabel Dalhousie Novels)
The Sunday Philosophy Club (Isabel Dalhousie Novels)
by Alexander McCall Smith
Price: 7.12

2.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes too slow, 14 July 2009
Not bad. However I liked more the second one in the series (Friends, Lovers and Chocolate) which by mistake I read first.
Sometimes I felt that the story was being dragged.
Saved by the author's now and then brilliant straight to the point phrases that makes one think and smile.
However impressed by all the philosophical jargon applied to everyday thinking!

A Florentine Death (Michele Ferrara)
A Florentine Death (Michele Ferrara)
by Michele Giuttari

1.0 out of 5 stars A typical Italian evening show!, 21 Mar 2009
This is my first fictional crime novel so I can't really compare. Although I read it quite quickly (maybe because I was sick in bed!) it felt as if it lacked something.
Something that maybe gave it a bit of depth, credibility, something that made the book not only to try to look but also really feel unique.
Something that made it worth reading and savouring.
Most of the things written seem the usual stuff one expects from a mediocre layman to conjure after watching too much the Italian 8 o'clock evening news and the famous Porta Porta television show!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2013 7:44 PM BST

The Kalahari Typing School For Men (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
The Kalahari Typing School For Men (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
by Alexander McCall Smith
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity, 25 Feb 2009
It's simplicity still strikes me...and it's so down-to-earth wisdom leaves me thinking how much we can complicate our lives...and how simple it would be if we could all live in a country like Botswana with Ms. Ramotswe as a neighbour and friend...always ready to share a chat and a cup of red tea.

The Memoirs of a Survivor (Picador Books)
The Memoirs of a Survivor (Picador Books)
by Doris Lessing

1.0 out of 5 stars Surreal, 25 Jan 2009
Do not really know what to say about this book and how to review it. The style is quite interesting but I couldn't really understand the story. Couldn't grasp the real from fantasy or whatever the author wanted to transmit to the reader.
It is my first time reading Doris Lessing and this book was described as the quintessence of Doris Lessing. Well before I decide if I like her or not I shall eventually read another book.
I would not recommended as a first try...it reminded me of David Lynch's films...surreal with no head or tail.

Same Sex in the City: So Your Prince Charming is Really a Cinderella
Same Sex in the City: So Your Prince Charming is Really a Cinderella
by Lauren Blitzer
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern lesbian vade-mecum, 25 Jan 2009
I would really recommend this book to all lesbians-to-be and confused lesbians or simply lesbians who would like an advice or two.
It is a real vade-mecum of how, when and why. Reading it helps one feels less lonely, less stupid and more part of a world so rarely described with realistic humour in pure Yiddish style.
Well done Girls!!