Profile for Acquafortis > Reviews

Content by Acquafortis

Acquafortis

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Locket Thief (Sky Thieves #1)
The Locket Thief (Sky Thieves #1)
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Flying Robin Hood, 30 Nov 2013
You will be taken on an intriguing journey with a flying Robin Hood and his faithful crew. They shall form the base on which the story of Lara will unfold.
The story of a young orphan who's life will suddenly change, be literally swept off her feet, catapulted in a race to save her own skin and in so doing finding her place in a newly found eccentric family. A very charming book I sought time in the evening to read. Well done.
(I was asked by the author to give a review on this book).

Aspects In Astrology: A Comprehensive guide to Interpretation
Aspects In Astrology: A Comprehensive guide to Interpretation
by Sue Tompkins
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty, 20 Nov 2013
I love Sue Tompkins witty way of writing. Her words bring to life astrology, dynamism to aspects enabling easy pinpointing of characteristics vital for interpretation.
What I sometimes felt was that words could be at times dry and I perceived a bit of bias towards Neptune but maybe it is me that while I was reading it I was/still am in a Neptune transit.

Astrology Made Simple and Easy to Understand
Astrology Made Simple and Easy to Understand
Price: 1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Very Basic Astrolgoy, 6 May 2012
It is a very simple book. I liked the style. Straight forward, down to earth and with some cartoons to help memorize the sun signs characteristics.
The book is divided in the following chapters:
1. how the sun travels through the houses
2. the planets and what they stand for
3. the elements and the signs corresponding to those elements grouping them three by three so the common characteristics come out and how the same element in different signs shows a slightly different energy
4. the difference between cardinal, fixed and mutable signs
5. the sun signs depicting their characteristics and something I quite appreciated, is how one can use the energy of that sign during the month of its reign to his/her advantage
6. the moon signs
Pity there was not the description of the rising sign which is very important in astrology and how it affects the sun sign. There is no mention of planet transits or retrograde or all the astrological stuff that I have not the knowledge to mention but know it exists.
So yes this book is simple and easy to understand but what you will read is very very basic idea of astrology. Pity the author did not cover all the other areas with her effective straight forward method. That would have been a real book on astrology made simply and easy.

Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: A Complete Guide To Achieving Normal Blood Sugars, 3rd Edition
by Richard K. Bernstein

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 9 Oct 2011
It took me some time to read this book. I read this first part avidly. Then read bits and pieces now and then. Blood glucose meter at hand I knew much of what he talks about but I did come across great insights.
A must read for all people who have a problem with diabetes or better still with pre-diabetes. I do agree with most of all that is written in the book. A big part of the book is dedicated to Insulin usage which if you are not on it yet you might skip it. On the whole the book explains in layman terms the science behind glucose metabolism in our body. Pity there is no mention of any MODY diabetes which is increasingly becoming important as new discoveries are being done how actually what is called Type 2 diabetes is not as it is really depicted.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2011 8:59 AM GMT

Baby Formula [DVD] [2010] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Baby Formula [DVD] [2010] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Angela Vint

3.0 out of 5 stars Scientifically Possible, 19 Sep 2011
Good film with a scientifically feasible experiment of a couple of lesbians having their stem cells transformed in spermatozoa and have their own genetical children. It touched both the ethical and human part of such an issue with realistic optimism. I liked the family members of both ladies in the couple. One of them reminded me so much of my mother. Nothing was spared. Lighted hearted to the end.

Sages and Scientists
Sages and Scientists
Price: 4.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content, terrible English., 28 July 2011
I read the book in a couple of days. It is not a long read but it is quite interesting. Deepak Chopra puts together some of the leading scientist and sages from all over the world to express themselves about their work, their believes and how these two get mingled together.
The content was not difficult to read nor to follow. However I found the writing sometimes difficult to read. The English was not very well constructed and it gave me the impression that a revision of the whole text would be worthwhile.
Now I have kindle application on both ipod touch and android. If you want to watch the video set at the beginning of each chapter then you should use ipod touch, ipad or iphone. Does not work on android. And there is no script version on the android contrary to what it says at the beginning of each chapter. The video is somehow an introduction to the chapter.
You would like to read this ebook under wi-fi cover since there is enriched text that can only be accessed with an active internet connection.

The Golden Acorn (The Adventures of Jack Brenin)
The Golden Acorn (The Adventures of Jack Brenin)
by Catherine Cooper
Price: 6.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Druidic Magic, 25 July 2011
"When all is equal, all the same, that which was lost is found again."
A simple book but that stole my interest. I found myself dragged into the story dreaming of a world where trees were still an important part of our lives and non of their Druidic magic has been lost to us.
Well done!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2011 4:58 PM BST

Room In Rome [DVD] [2010]
Room In Rome [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Elena Anaya
Price: 7.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving Strangers, 25 July 2011
This review is from: Room In Rome [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
What struck me immediately in the film was the sound track. Especially the song "Loving Strangers".
To say the truth the film left me baffled and confused for the first hour or so. I am not saying that I didn't like the shots of women making love to each other (far from it) or they being naked practically all the duration of the film.
I just kept trying to understand the meaning, the message behind all the beauty pictured in the film, represented not only by women making love as if their very life depended on such act but also fairy-like skylines of Rome and a room that felt like a museum of fine arts more than a room in a hotel. It was all majestically opulent and baroque as only Rome can be. And what to say about the waiter that sings operetta....
And the song Loving Strangers kept coming back...Maybe we all "fall in love" in fantasy or reality with a stranger imagining that our lives would be completely different. That perfectness is just a second away from being true. That the solution for all of our problems are there in that stranger we are loving with all the strength that everyday difficulties can generate.
Loving Strangers...toying with the idea that somehow life can just for a night be different....and can it be all as simple as that, with no consequences whatsoever?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2012 9:38 AM GMT

According To Jane
According To Jane
Price: 4.11

4.0 out of 5 stars A literate spiritual guide!, 24 May 2011
This review is from: According To Jane (Kindle Edition)
Lovely book. I really enjoyed the idea of Jane's spirit helping out the protagonist of the fiction. What a spiritual guide to have!
For sure my English would improve to excellent levels with an added laugh or two during the day.

Divorced, Desperate and Dating (Romantic Mysteries) (Love Spell Mystery Romance)
by Christie Craig
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Punch Lines, 11 April 2011
There were certain sharp punch lines that made me laugh loud with laughter.
The suspense part was quite good. Kept me guessing till the end.
And yes the sex innuendo was as teasingly good as Godiva chocolates

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7