Profile for Acquafortis > Reviews

Chrysalis: Poems of Release
Chrysalis: Poems of Release
Price: 1.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Releasing words, 31 Dec 2013
The pain of love is not easy to describe.
Words come and go as thoughts rambling about what can never be again. Some words are soothing, others are confusing, others down right loving.
A journey to profound, prohibited love, sorely loosing it and finally releasing it into the world.

A Pair of Docks: 1 (Derivatives of Displacement)
A Pair of Docks: 1 (Derivatives of Displacement)
by Jennifer Ellis
Price: 6.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Scientific, 30 Dec 2013
Exquisite, marvellous, fantastically scientific.
I adored reading every bit of this book, including night shifts and this didn't happen since the time of Harry Potter.
Fresh look at time travel and the eternal dilemma of fixed unalterable future with annexed paradoxes versus incipient futures.
All this seen through the curious eyes of Abbey a geek teenager boarding to nerdish, Simon a computer genius nearing asocial and Caleb the more amorphously flowing of the three. I found it incredible the crescendo of the characters as the story unfolded and the detail chronicled to uphold the timeline.
Prepare yourself to mind boggling scientific issues spiced with rich human emotions.
I received a copy by the author to review the book.

Wise Men and Other Stories
Wise Men and Other Stories
by Mike O'Mary
Price: 6.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Observing life, 27 Dec 2013
An easy going collection of stories derived from the author's daily life. I was fascinated how Mike O'Mary succeeded in meditating about any haphazard aspect of his life and deriving a lesson to share. If only one could cultivated such practice maybe we would probably look at life in a completely different way...and we might even write our own peculiar collection.
Mike O'Mary with this book reminds us that wisdom comes with being aware of what is happening, having the courage to look back, take stock and meditate with detachment. But most importantly make space for life to just be and lived.

365 Ways to Keep It Real, Heal Yourself and Be Free
365 Ways to Keep It Real, Heal Yourself and Be Free
Price: 2.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Jolting introspection, 25 Dec 2013
I kept this book on my iPhone, now and then reading snippets.
What struck me was the exact words that the author seemed to intrinsically know how many to use to just impart the right "slap" in the mind and make you think about it for all the day.
Sometimes it was only three words, sometimes it was four phrases one after the other but the effect was always the same...jolting introspective to attain new perspective.
And by the way, I still keep it on my iPhone and randomly choose one for the day....
Thank you!

A Perfect Interlude
A Perfect Interlude

5.0 out of 5 stars Allusively Idillic, 25 Dec 2013
This has been a perfect continuation to Hell of Osirak and more near my preferences. It starts from where Hell of Osirak finishes adding more depth to Nikki Sinclair character.
Although it is a short story, with lots of lesbian sex in an idyllic place away from physical spy action, as the plot progresses, the reader is gently taken by the author to start questioning if all that is happening is true.
It seems that truth and its failure to grab it, is Nikki Sinclair's crux.
And with this eternal dilemma the novel finishes, leaving the reader wandering what really happened and wanting to know more.
Well played.
I was given this book to review by the author.

A Handbook of Medical Astrology
A Handbook of Medical Astrology
by Jane Ridder-Patrick
Price: 15.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignorant me, 24 Dec 2013
For me this will become a reference book but first I will have to read it a couple of more times.
More importantly this is a book to be read with a sound background in astrology. So my 4 stars review is due to my ignorance of the subject more than the book in its integrity.
It is small and concentrated, making reference to other medical astrologers throughout history and the techniques used. There is a lot of detail but alas, these details will only be savoured when my astrology studies will have tremendously improved.

The Hell of Osirak: (Betrayal) (Betrayal, Redemption and Salvation Trilogy Book 1)
Price: 3.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Hellishly Spellbinding, 24 Dec 2013
This was quite a controversial book for me to read. One that made me think a lot on the emotions that reading this book has brought forth.
I was kindly asked by the author to review this book, forewarning me of hot lesbian scenes in it. And I have to say yes there are quite a few lesbian love scenes, heart ripping emotions and a buzzing sexual innuendo. Actually the whole book is abundantly filled with sex, lesbian and heterosexual, consensual or not, used as love making or as a means to obtain information, intimate or purely violent.
It is with this part of the book that I wasn't happy with. Rape, repeated rape, is part and parcel of the story. It is the fulcrum on which the plot revolves.
So I would not recommend this book if like me you are not comfortable with reading a book that involves a detailed rape perpetuated on a woman because she is a lesbian.
As regards all the rest of the book the story is fast paced, action filled, riveting and hellishly spellbinding.

Forever Human
Forever Human
Price: 1.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Curiously puzzling, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: Forever Human (Kindle Edition)
I shall start with why I gave it 4 stars not 5. For the first 20-30 pages I found the book very difficult to follow to such a point that I was reading it just for the sake of going on.
Swamped through that hurdle, the story started getting intriguing by the chapter to such a point that I looked forward to have time to read the book.
If you're in for some fantasy time bending, past lives revocations and unorthodox love, lived over and over again through thousands of years than I suggest you grab this book. You are in for a strangely weird collage of episodes splattered through time and space with an unexpected (at least for me) ending.
I received a complimentary copy of this book in order to review it.

The Wizard of Time (Book 1)
The Wizard of Time (Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Intricate weavings..., 11 Dec 2013
Lovely! Lovely! Lovely!
Incredible wordings that makes you feel afloat a time island through which events can be accessed. Loved the pseudo scientific explanations, the humanity to the actions and the philosophical considerations and implications of time tinkering.
Impressed by the intricate weaving of actions, reactions, feelings and drama that forge out an exquisite timeline!
I received a complimentary copy of this book in order to review it.

Rise of the Wadjet Witch (Written in the Sky Book 1)
Rise of the Wadjet Witch (Written in the Sky Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stars from afar, 6 Dec 2013
To say the truth I was intrigued by the astronomy-witch plot of the book. It turned out more than I expected.
Astronomy meets astrology in a quiet crescendo, that eventually mingles with Egyptian mythology and their modern protectors. Stars from afar walking modern Earth.
An unexpected and unusual mix. A well-paced book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7