ARRAY(0xb593cc30)

Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Masters at Arms (Introduction to the Rescue Me Saga)
Masters at Arms (Introduction to the Rescue Me Saga)
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very well written, 7 Feb 2014
I picked this book up on the recommendation of a friend. I am an editor (science fiction, fantasy and romance - definitely not BDSM) and had read a book with what appeared to be BDSM elements in it. Not knowing any better, I thought it was good, but my friend suggested I have a look at some books that represented the scene more accurately and, in particular, the relationships.

Masters at Arms does not have many BDSM elements in it - only really mention of, for the most part. What elements there are (the ones actually depicted in the book) are not, considering what the rest of the series reveals, a true representation of the BDSM scene at all. This is quite important to take into account, I feel. As the author states, it is an introduction to the rest of the series - each book of which must (and having read the whole series, I agree with this) be read in order. And goodness me, what an introduction. Adam. Karla. Marc. Damian. And who can forget Savannah.

I'll be honest: if it wasn't for Savannah's story in this introduction, I probably wouldn't have continued to read the rest of the series. The other characters I could let go of, despite their experiences at and after Fallujah, but her story, her experiences... I absolutely HAD to find out what happened to her. She crept into my psyche and begged me to read the rest of her story.

I highly recommend this whole series to ANY adult reader. The first book in the series was recommended to me as I had read a fantasy story with BDSM elements in it that were not representative of the real scene. This was put forward as depicting reality. I was hooked from the end of the first book, not because of titillation or erotic scenes (there really are none), but because of the characters in these pages. These books tell of people, their lives, their emotions, their problems. As someone who is not into the BDSM scene, I can see how Kallypso Masters treats BDSM with dignity and makes sense of it for those of us who don't really understand it.

ORBS
ORBS
Price: 1.83

5.0 out of 5 stars A post-apocalyptic thriller, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: ORBS (Kindle Edition)
Doctors Sophie Winston and Emanuel Rodriguez have been assigned to a small team (five people) testing out a Biodome for the NTC. The draw card: if they survive the full six months, then they will be on the first ship out to Mars, since the world leaders have decided to evacuate planet Earth before humanity completely destroys it. Their task is to live within the dome for six months, preferably with no contact between them and the outside world.

Within two days of the task commencing, however, the playing field changes and the team find themselves fighting for their lives. They spend much of the rest of the book trying to understand what has happened and why. From water-sucking alien insects to corporations developing survival technologies, Nick leads us on a thrill- and horror-ride like few others I've come across.

A few months ago I reviewed The Biomass Revolution for Nick. While that story was good, it had quite a few loose ends - mostly due to the omniscient view utilised in telling the story - and at times was a difficult story to follow. ORBS is a complete contrast. It is a privilege to watch Nick develop as a writer. And somewhere between TBR and ORBS he has honed his writing skill considerably. There are very few rough edges in ORBS. There are some loose ends here, but they are perfectly acceptable provided there's a sequel - else I'll be quizzing Nick for the answers!

Nick's world-building is very good. I have absolutely no problems envisioning the scenes and environs of the characters. Nick doesn't describe the characters in very much detail, which suits me perfectly; the reader needs some leeway to create their own image of the people they are getting to know. The plot of the story is also excellent, as are each of the subplots. A very well-woven tapestry... with a couple of loose threads to entice us with.

Sophie as the main character is well rounded and multifaceted. Initially her career drive felt a little off-key, as though she was a cardboard figure with no other goals, but this perspective begins to change when things fall apart around her. She is an instinctive leader, and her initiative in taking action is a major factor through the book.

In some stories I come across, there is a character I'd like to slap. In this book, Timothy fits those shoes. A computer nerd and member of Sophie's team , he totally freaks out when the nasties arrive. Um. He was already freaking out well before that. That said, he has a clever streak in him that comes in useful from time to time.

I was going to say that one doesn't really see the characters develop through the book. But that would be completely inaccurate. Though there are no major changes, each of the characters does develop subtly. Considering the circumstances, I'm actually surprised that a few more of them didn't freak out. A very unique group of individuals indeed. Perhaps that's why they were assigned the task they received...

The only real criticism I have of Nick's work is that he has yet to pull me, as the reader, into the story. Don't get me wrong. Everything is there, the tension, the horror, the thrill-ride... but as yet I have not felt any visceral reaction to what the characters are experiencing; I still feel like more an observer than a participant in the events taking place.

This book's a page turner. I was gripped, managing to read it within a couple of days which is impressive considering its length (I don't get much time for reading). It is not an 'enjoyable' read, but it is an excellent story and one I can highly recommend to people who love scifi and are not squeemish.

Be warned: this book does not end in a happy place. That said, there are aspects to the ending that are more positive and hopeful than other sections of the book would lead one to believe is possible.

We received a copy of this book direct from the author in exchange for an honest review.
zhurratreviews.wordpress.com

Solar Storms (Prequel to ORBS)
Solar Storms (Prequel to ORBS)
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Tantalising, 18 Dec 2013
Doctors Sophie Winston and Emanuel Rodriguez are employed by NASA to monitor solar weather. On their arrival at the Johnson Space Center in Houston, brought forward by a week due to escalating circumstances, they soon find that all is not as they were lead to believe.

Smith easily draws one into the story with his writing, and although this prequel is short, his characters are well-constructed and sympathetic. A tantalising tidbit that has my mouth watering for ORBS.

zhurratreviews.wordpress.com
*Copy of this book received direct from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Gethyon
Gethyon
Price: 1.35

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: Gethyon (Kindle Edition)
Gethyon gets an unreserved five stars from me. If I'd had the time to read it in one sitting, I would have done so for sure.

Jay introduces us to Quin's twin children, Gethyon and Callon, but in particular Gethyon. Inheriting psi-talents from his father, the Eidar Darion, Gethyon is in danger from the Siah-dhu, a dark entity that preys on his kind. For this reason, Quin leaves Gethyon and Callon with their human grandfather so that she can distract the Siah-dhu from their presence.

This coming-of-age story takes us on a journey as we watch Gethyon's initial unwitting use of his powers through to the point where he is in full control of them and able to face the Siah-dhu. At the same time, we watch Gethyon changing from an angry young man - a hangover from an early encounter with his mother - into an assured adult.

Jay's pen depicts characters and worlds alike with a deftness that transports the reader into the visions she creates. Pain, agony, acceptance and joy alike flow off the pages, and oh, there's this one bit that makes me wince/cringe/shudder like no other writing I've read. Spoilers!

I pick up every new work that Jay publishes without hesitation, and I have yet to regret it. This is another masterpiece!

Blind Date
Blind Date

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Blind Date (Kindle Edition)
A short, fun read that whets your appetite to read more of Moore's work. For it's brevity, the story is intricate and very well written, getting the reader right inside the main character's head.

Seer of Mars (The Vallar Series)
Seer of Mars (The Vallar Series)
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Written to a high standard, 16 Feb 2013
One of the best books I've read in a good while, in Vallar Cindy Borgne creates a tangible feuding society on Mars, with an innocent teenager caught in the middle. Ian, a psychic, hates war, and when he causes a skirmish by revealing his visions to his Admiral (which he is required to do), he is disgusted in the results of his actions. Through the pages of this book we follow how he tries to escape from what appears, at first glance, to be his destiny, to reach for a vision he has little hope of achieving. But there are friends to be found in the unlikeliest of places, and sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.

This is a book that is written to a high standard in both story-telling and language. I simply devoured this story, and hope to pick up more books by Cindy soon!

Terms & Conditions Apply
Terms & Conditions Apply
Price: 0.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A Romantic Cocktail, 21 Nov 2012
A space station, a woman who's been dumped, and an avatar... ingredients for a romantic cocktail delicately crafted by Pippa Jay. There were several surprises along the way, and some fabulous characters one can really sympathise with.

Having read Pippa Jay's previous works, and thoroughly enjoyed them both, it wasn't much of a surprise that Pippa has once again created a setting that my imagination is immediately at home in. The writing is vivid, and drew me into the story with ease. This is a quick, easy read, and a fabulous scifi romance.

Sovran's Pawn (The Black Wing Chronicles)
Sovran's Pawn (The Black Wing Chronicles)
Price: 2.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, sexy and intricate, 12 Nov 2012
Open the pages of this book and meet Bo Barron, the young ruler of her people, and Blade Devon, a Predator, holo actor and gambler. Set against a backdrop of intrigue and counter-punch, romance sparks in the strangest of ways. JC sketches out locations and worlds with ease, bringing images vividly forward in the mind. This book is one of the wittiest, sexy and intricate I've read in a long time. There are loads of questions running through my mind as I close the book, and I am hungry for more from JC Cassels - especially if those questions get their answers.

If you're a scifi lover, do yourself a huge favour and pick this book up. It made my day!

Sorrel in Scarlet
Sorrel in Scarlet
by Peter Vialls
Price: 6.21

4.0 out of 5 stars A Unique Fantasy, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: Sorrel in Scarlet (Paperback)
Sorrel, escaping from the Dragonlord Wrack, lands in the Chasm, a place that was long ago relegated to myth - and the belief that nothing could exist in it. To get back to her old life, she must join forces with Wrack to escape, or defeat, beings who till now she thought were mythical. Problem is, they're intent on gaining something precious to both her and Wrack.

I enjoyed reading this debut novel. Peter Vialls has constructed a very different fantasy world from the normal fare found on bookshelves, which makes a refreshing change. The imagery comes across clearly, and the characters are fantastic. My favourite character, it must be said, is Wrack, so it's probably appropriate that my favourite sentence quotes him: 'His voice was soft. "Can't let you go, Sorrel."'

I'd definitely read this story again, and look forward to the next one in the series.

Little White Horse
Little White Horse
Price: 3.72

4.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Tale, 30 Sep 2012
I put off reading this book for years (it was on my bookshelf as a child), and now I wonder why. Clearly written for children (albeit with some big words, especially as spoken by Marmaduke Scarlet), The Little White Horse is a delightful tale of love, forgiveness and restoration. Maria, the heir to Moonacre and its accompanying village of Silverydew, is led to discover the history of the locale soon after her arrival. I really enjoyed uncovering the secrets with her, and likewise how she came to resolve the problems that plagued the land and the people living there.

The thought that I wish to take away from this book is this quote: "...nothing worthwhile in this world is achieved without love and humility."

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5