Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Sovran's Pawn (The Black Wing Chronicles Book 1)
Sovran's Pawn (The Black Wing Chronicles Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, sexy and intricate, 12 Nov. 2012
Open the pages of this book and meet Bo Barron, the young ruler of her people, and Blade Devon, a Predator, holo actor and gambler. Set against a backdrop of intrigue and counter-punch, romance sparks in the strangest of ways. JC sketches out locations and worlds with ease, bringing images vividly forward in the mind. This book is one of the wittiest, sexy and intricate I've read in a long time. There are loads of questions running through my mind as I close the book, and I am hungry for more from JC Cassels - especially if those questions get their answers.

If you're a scifi lover, do yourself a huge favour and pick this book up. It made my day!

Sorrel in Scarlet
Sorrel in Scarlet
by Peter Vialls

4.0 out of 5 stars A Unique Fantasy, 16 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Sorrel in Scarlet (Paperback)
Sorrel, escaping from the Dragonlord Wrack, lands in the Chasm, a place that was long ago relegated to myth - and the belief that nothing could exist in it. To get back to her old life, she must join forces with Wrack to escape, or defeat, beings who till now she thought were mythical. Problem is, they're intent on gaining something precious to both her and Wrack.

I enjoyed reading this debut novel. Peter Vialls has constructed a very different fantasy world from the normal fare found on bookshelves, which makes a refreshing change. The imagery comes across clearly, and the characters are fantastic. My favourite character, it must be said, is Wrack, so it's probably appropriate that my favourite sentence quotes him: 'His voice was soft. "Can't let you go, Sorrel."'

I'd definitely read this story again, and look forward to the next one in the series.

The Little White Horse
The Little White Horse

4.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Tale, 30 Sept. 2012
I put off reading this book for years (it was on my bookshelf as a child), and now I wonder why. Clearly written for children (albeit with some big words, especially as spoken by Marmaduke Scarlet), The Little White Horse is a delightful tale of love, forgiveness and restoration. Maria, the heir to Moonacre and its accompanying village of Silverydew, is led to discover the history of the locale soon after her arrival. I really enjoyed uncovering the secrets with her, and likewise how she came to resolve the problems that plagued the land and the people living there.

The thought that I wish to take away from this book is this quote: "...nothing worthwhile in this world is achieved without love and humility."

Daughter of Joy (Brides of Culdee Creek, Book 1)
Daughter of Joy (Brides of Culdee Creek, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Shows real lives, 30 Sept. 2012
Daughters of Joy follows Abby, a widow in 1890s Colorado, as she tries to escape life by taking up a post as housekeeper and governess on the MacKay ranch. Kathleen weaves the concepts of redemption and forgiveness, as well as grief, through the storyline of the book, and brings some personal insights through to the reader regarding these topics. I found this book easy to read, and vivid in its emotional input and imagery. It shows very real lives without making the Christianity aspect feel contrived.

I have two quotes from this book that I felt were good to take away.

"Don't limit the Lord with your own shallow perceptions of Him, or assign Him a level of compassion equal only to yours..."
"Standing close to her would not bring him to salvation. For that he had to walk on, past her, and find God in his own way."

I will be looking out the other books in the series.

The Honour of the Knights (First Edition) (The Battle for the Solar System) (The Battle for the Solar System Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars The galaxy will never be the same, 30 Sept. 2012
I picked this book up as a freebie on Amazon. And boy am I glad that I did. What an amazing flyboy novel that spans the galaxy. Towards the end of the book I couldn't help but turn page after page, devouring the images as the tension mounted up to the climax. Sweeney is to be applauded for his vivid writing and the emotions that he coaxes from the reader, involving them wholly in the story.

The Honour of the Knights is a very readable book. More so if you're a scifi fan who is conversant with combat.

My favourite quote from this book is: 'There was considerable pause, then, in a grim voice, "They're the result of the Senate's desire to control the Empire. They're a mistake." "What?" Dodds said. "They're a mistake?"'

I'm not sure that I'll read this book again, but I'll definitely be looking up the rest of the series, as I need to find out what happens next. The Galaxy will never be the same again, that is for sure!

END OF REASON: A Response to the New Atheists
END OF REASON: A Response to the New Atheists
by ZACHARIAS RAVI

5.0 out of 5 stars Rational, polite and sincere, 1 Sept. 2012
This book was passed to me by a fellow Christian. I have known of Ravi Zacharias for many years, although this is the first of his books I have read, and I respect him as a scholar and as a Christian believer.

Having read several books in the past that deal with similar topics, I really appreciated reading this one. I found Ravi's arguments to be rational, polite and sincere, even when he clearly opposes the arguments of the new atheists. Although Ravi is clearly a philosopher - from a school of academia whose writings I find difficult to understand - I found The End of Reason easy to read and understand. That said, there are sections that were not always easy to grasp at a first reading, and warranted a second, more careful, perusal.

I recommend this book for the coherent, well-reasoned discussion that it provides. It exposes the contradictions and bias that are among the hallmarks of new atheism - or secularism, for that matter - in a logical manner. That said, my favourite sentence is: 'And I strongly suspect that Jesus would have said, "Whose portrait and inscription are on you?"'

Foul is Fair (The Witch Hunters Book 0)
Foul is Fair (The Witch Hunters Book 0)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab sense of humour, 31 Aug. 2012
I really enjoyed this short story. There are some great turns of phrase in here, and the writing is vivid, drawing the reader in. My favourite sentence was: 'My hearing was grateful.' - gave me a good chuckle. Sam certainly had a fabulous sense of humour. I look forward to reading more.

Til We Come To Be
Til We Come To Be

4.0 out of 5 stars A vast galactic scale, 24 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Til We Come To Be (Kindle Edition)
I've had to think long and hard about how to write the review for this book. There is so much that could be said.

First up, I found it to be readable. There are occasionally 'big' words used that could be disconcerting to the average reader. They are definitely noticeable even to an accomplished reader. The writing is vivid, and one can clearly see what the characters are seeing. That said, however, I rarely 'felt' what a character was feeling; I was more of an outside observer through the majority of the book.

Notable Quote/s: "Issues of unparalleled magnitude, such as the total annihilation of the galaxy, were best left to intellects whose knowledgebase conceivably spanned a billion years and who might themselves be of extragalactic origin."

The book started off a bit slowly for me, as though it was in a slow-cooker. It really heated up, however, once meteorites began impacting on AVA, the world colonised by the humans. My first impression was that there were too many character POVs (points-of-view), and quite a lot of backstory to several of the characters, but as the book unfolded one could see why this was all necessary. They also added to the mystery of what was really going on. I did feel that there were a few too many references to events of the 20th century for a story set four hundred years into the future. What about events in the more immediate past? There were also, for me, a few unfinished strands that were left like open wounds at the end of the book. I still want a few answers as to what happened, or why some things happened.

That said, the concepts in this book are incredible, on a vast galactic scale. The premise of an immensely powerful alien race who may or may not be in the process of destroying the galaxy we live in is well-depicted. The setting for the vast majority of the book, AVA, is a fascinating, very alien world that is well illustrated at all times.

Overall I enjoyed reading this book, and would probably pick it up again.

The Shack
The Shack
by Wm Paul Young

4.0 out of 5 stars Not everybody's cup of tea, 20 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Shack (Paperback)
The Shack may not be everybody's cup of tea, but with an open mind and heart, one can learn some mind-stretching lessons from this book. I write this review four years after I read the book, and I still recall the scene at the end of the pier. And what did I learn? God is in the future, not just the present or the past. We need to imagine a future where God is present.

This book is very readable, and one is right in there at the shack, experiencing each moment as one reads it. I would definitely pick this book up again, and for the lessons learned, I would recommend it to any thinking Christian.

A Dog Gone Christmas: Christmas Special (Emily Dahill CID Mystery)
A Dog Gone Christmas: Christmas Special (Emily Dahill CID Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmassy tale, 20 Aug. 2012
Looking for a Christmassy tale? Then don't pass this dog-mad book by. Filled with furballs, Christmas and heart, it reminded me of why I love Christmas. In this book, everybody finds a friend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7