Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Emily Dahill CID Part One
Emily Dahill CID Part One

5.0 out of 5 stars Pick this book up, 18 Aug 2012
This book is a heart-warming series of tales following Emily Dahill and her sidekick, Dakota... or is it the other way around? Dakota has a fantastic sense of humour, and likes to keep his humans on their toes. If you like dogs, pick this book up - it's worth it!

A Bride for Tom (Nebraska Historical Romances Book 2)
A Bride for Tom (Nebraska Historical Romances Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, quick read, 18 Aug 2012
A beautiful, quick read that is elegant and well-written. I would have preferred to see some more character development - most notably in the change in relationship between Tom and his brothers. The plot, at times, just seemed a little too simple, with the solutions too quickly offered and accepted.

Other than those issues, I really enjoyed this story, and would definitely look up more of Nordin's work.

A Christmas Carol
A Christmas Carol

5.0 out of 5 stars Will warm any heart, 18 Aug 2012
This review is from: A Christmas Carol (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. For some reason I've put off reading it for years, and now that I've read it, I wonder why. It was a delightful tale of the joy that Christmas can bring to our lives. Scrooge is well depicted as a grumpy individual, but the transformation that the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future bring about will warm any heart. I'd recommend this book to any and every reading person!

In the Mood
In the Mood
Price: 1.34

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 18 Aug 2012
This review is from: In the Mood (Kindle Edition)
The characters in this book are well-defined, and the analysis of how an author should "write what they know" is well-illustrated. On the whole, a good read.

The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Picture of Dorian Gray

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 18 Aug 2012
I picked up this book as I was intrigued by the character of Dorian Gray after having watched The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It was an interesting book, and while I cannot say that I liked it as such, it is good to have read it - my curiosity is satisfied.

It was very sad that Dorian went so completely "off the rails", so to speak, under the influence of Henry, and I found the worldview difficult to cope with. At times the irony in the situations was very poignant - such as when Dorian tells Sybil Vane that she is selfish, while he, in fact, is the selfish one. I suppose that justice was met at the end of the book.

Falling Star
Falling Star
Price: 2.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Grabs you, 18 Aug 2012
This review is from: Falling Star (Kindle Edition)
This book definitely grabs you and won't let you go until you've read every last word. Diana writes an intricate storyline and piles the pressure on the main character until you wonder if they can bear any more. Characters are very well-developed and placed, with an excellent 'villian' in the news director, Tony Scoppio. I definitely thought a few well-placed punches wouldn't go amiss in his direction.

Wuthering Heights
Wuthering Heights

5.0 out of 5 stars Very vividly written, 18 Aug 2012
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Kindle Edition)
I feel woefully inadequate to reviewing this book, as it is one of the great classics, and there's been so much said about it already down the years.

My thoughts on reading it (apart from that it's a good book, and very vividly written) were that Emily carries out a very good analysis of what "heaven" or "hell" may mean to different people - that one person's "hell" may be different to another's. I have not read any studies on the book, so I don't know even if this is meant to be one of the themes, but that was my impression.

I would definitely read this book again one day.

Colby's Child
Colby's Child

4.0 out of 5 stars There with the characters., 18 Aug 2012
This review is from: Colby's Child (Kindle Edition)
A fascinating story of a young Mom caught out by her dead husband. Colby is the quintessential 'knight on a white horse', even though he doubts his worth, and he really carries this book through from beginning to end; an excellent story of intrigue in the mid-west, back when gold mining was the 'in thing'. This book is well-written, and the characters complex. As a new Mom, Watters's depictions of an infant are spot on, as are the reactions of mother and step-father. The setting was also well-illustrated; I could feel myself right there with the characters as events unfolded.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical romance.

Deception at Sea (An Ian Mac Roy Adventure Book 1)
Deception at Sea (An Ian Mac Roy Adventure Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nautical Caper, 1 July 2012
I first read this story as Amy serialised it on her blog while writing it. The reread of the published version was no less enjoyable. If there's one thing I love, it is when an author expands on a world they have already written about, and this is what Amy does with Deception at Sea.

Set in the world of The Taurin Chronicles, we meet Ian Mac Roy, an Eiryan prince who has a penchant for the sea. This nautical caper takes the reader to strange lands and provides a glimpse of Connor of Ravenmarked fame. Complete with daggers, beautiful women and dangerous political machinations, one cannot help but keep turning the pages of this remarkable story.

Keir
Keir

5.0 out of 5 stars A Story of Redemption, 23 Jun 2012
This review is from: Keir (Kindle Edition)
This is a story of tortured souls, love and redemption. On a strange world Quin, a human traveller who moves among the stars on a quest for a lost friend, discovers Keir, an outcast in his society. All Keir wants to do is die, believing himself condemned and cursed, while Quin soon wishes to save him, having seen a glimpse of who he really is.

From this starting point follows an adventure that will warm science fiction and romance readers alike. As one hops between planets with this delightful pair, Pippa Jay sketches the different worlds with her pen, bringing them vividly to life. She does no less with each character, drawing one into their minds with ease.

I really enjoyed this book, Pippa Jay's debut novel, and as there are several unanswered questions, I hope there will be more to come from this author.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6