Profile for Guillaume de Lavigne > Reviews

Content by Guillaume de L...

Guillaume de Lavigne "Guillaume" (Greece)

Page: 1 | 2
Wahl Pro Series Dog Clipper Mains / Rechargeable
Wahl Pro Series Dog Clipper Mains / Rechargeable

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect for men and dogs!, 25 Oct 2012
What a pleasure to have a battery-operated clipper instead of a wired one! I use it for myself to cut my hair at 3mm and my beard and use it on my Spaniels with the same ease. The Oyster I had only lasted a few years, was heavy, wired and has cost me a fortune. This one is handy and cheap. Just perfect!

Do Dogs Dream?: Nearly Everything Your Dog Wants You to Know
Do Dogs Dream?: Nearly Everything Your Dog Wants You to Know

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing! Smalltalk!, 25 Oct 2012
Stanley Coren is one of my fetish authors, so I will not blame him for having published a (near) useless book for those who've read his previous ones. I also firmly believe he didn't even check the contents before giving the authorization to publish it. It seems to me a non-reviewed republication of texts written earlier, published in various periodicals. I base this assertion on the fact that, in his latest books he strongly rejects the pack-theory and discusses the relativity of the dominance-traits in dogs, while in this book many chapters are full of it. Most subjects-chapters show lack of precisions or are incomplete, while they are very well documented in his other books.
The book's title "Do dogs dream?" has nothing to do with the contents, nothing at all; only one chapter is dedicated to it. "Smalltalk about dogs" would have been better.
To conclude: this book is a superficial summary of the summary of previous writings, including obsolete theories the author himself disapproves. For those of you wanting to enjoy Coren's writings, stick to his precedent books and dismiss this one. I waited for this one to be published. I am very disappointed. Coren has used us to much much better than this.

Why Does My Dog Act That Way?: A Complete Guide to Your Dog's Personality
Why Does My Dog Act That Way?: A Complete Guide to Your Dog's Personality

5.0 out of 5 stars For advanced learners., 15 Mar 2011
Reading the title, people could expect answers to questions like "Why is my dog doing this or that?", but they will be disappointed because the book does not contain any of those answers. They should also read the subtitle "A complete guide to your dog's personality". That's what it is. The author studies the behavior and temperament/personality of the dogs with a very scientific approach, which is interesting for scientist, but I'm afraid boring for the common dog-owner. In contrast to the author's other books, it is quite dull and does not contain those fascinating little anecdotes he normally uses.
The reader will be interested in the chapter describing the different temperaments/personalities of the different breeds and how they interact with the owners, other people, other dogs and with their environment, giving first hand clues as to how to educate it and why. He explains why and how one should choose a certain breed according to its personality traits, its family environment and the future "use" of the dog. This is a valuable advice!
Into my opinion, a 1 star book for the common dog-owner; a 5 star book for advanced learners and scientist. At last, he clearly and extensively explains why "a dog is not a domesticated wolf!", which on its own is a 5 star catcher. The thousands of animal psychologist and behaviorists, other breeders and authors who still maintain the contrary should read this book.

How To Speak Dog
How To Speak Dog
by Stanley Coren

5.0 out of 5 stars A very valuable and practical book if one forgets the obsolete theories., 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: How To Speak Dog (Paperback)
It is very difficult to convey you my feelings about this book. I did not like it very much, because the author always refers to alpha wolves, packs and dominant traits to explain our modern domesticated dog's behavior; dog that has nothing to do with wolves any more since 15.000 years or so; dogs that have been reshaped and remodeled by humans, not by the wild nature. It is as if he would explain our actual human way of thinking and acting based on that of the Neanderthals. On the other hand he clarifies with great precision how the dogs evolved in different ways. Should a professor base his arguments on obsolete theories? Besides this, I have to admit that I agree completely with the book's cover where it is written: " ... gives dog lovers the skill they need to improve their relationship with their dogs", because novices and amateurs will benefit a lot reading it. The subject, the dog-languages and the way their understanding improves dog-human relationship and behaviour, is uttermost interesting. The cover also says: "This could be one of the most important literary purchases ever made." Excuse me!
A book with false theories is worthless. So why a five star quotation? Because a book with pinpoint accurate and practical clues is invaluable. If the reader forgets the theory and sticks to the practical aspects described in it, he will learn a lot. Furthermore, he will be enchanted by the very interesting and lively anecdotes and by the author's attractive writing.
The author knows what he is talking about when he speaks about language, knowing quite a few himself and he knows what it means dogs' behaviour. His love for dogs is obvious and transpires throughout the whole book.
All this deserves a five star quotation.
As one can expect, there is some kind of overlap between the author's books, which is not a handicap, on the contrary: repetition is a good way to learn and to memorize. Furthermore, it cannot be otherwise since the author's main concern is dog-human interacts, behaviour and psychology, all subjects concerning the dog's brain and its human atrophic counterpart. As he quoted: "Never say: My dog is almost human! I know of no greater insult to the canine race to describe it as such!"

How Dogs Think
How Dogs Think

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlative!, 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: How Dogs Think (Paperback)
I am a dog lover and some sort of dog educator, but also a neurologist and neurophysiologist. I do not tell this to boast myself, but so you can understand that I know something about neuro-anatomy and -physiology. Yet, I learned dog-things I didn't know and I live with dogs for 64 years now! When I say this book is superlative, I mean it. The author describes the dog senses with pinpoint precision, yet in such an easy understandable language even a non-scientist or a non-doctor can comprehend it. As usual with Coren, his way of writing is attractive and keeps you glued to the pages; his anecdotes are superb and very instructive. I find this book even more superior than his excellent book "Dog's intelligence". It is a 6 star book for everyone!

The Intelligence of Dogs
The Intelligence of Dogs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and inspiring, 30 Jan 2011
When commenting a book, it is always very easy to cite all the negative facets one considers from his viewpoint. I do not agree with some information the author mentions, yet I regard this book as excellent. It should be read by anyone who loves dogs and wants to improve and broaden his knowledge. Apart from a thorough study of the intelligence of dogs, he/she will find some very interesting historical anecdotes, not to mention very amusing and fascinating personal and third party anecdotes. The author is also a born writer. His book is easy to read, pleasant, full of humor and the reader will regret turning the last page, wanting for more. Everybody will learn a lot!
I've read the revised second edition. If the author could revise it once more, discarding his memes about wolves, packs, alpha and dominance, he would achieve what Descartes - whom he cites repeatedly - never did: to be synchronised with the most recent facts and views regarding dog behavior. He himself should read Mech and Bibikov and reconsider some of his theories. His book would then become a bible. I would like to be one of his students and challenge him about a few of his statements, but being 64 years old, I guess I would be thrown out. (A dog lover and neurophysiologist.)

Keeping Up Appearances - The Essential Collection [DVD]
Keeping Up Appearances - The Essential Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patricia Routledge
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of English mentality, 22 Feb 2010
These series don't have to be presented, they're a classic and every Englishman knows them. One can see them over and over again without being bored once. They're the English counterpart, although in another style, of the American Fanny Fine series.
Interesting is to say that this is exactly how foreigners see the English way of living: appearance (hypocrisy?) before everything else, which is what the author and the producers wanted to transmit to the spectators, luckily with a huge amount of humor and self derision. The special price offer made this package unbeatable.

The Quiet Man [DVD] [1952]
The Quiet Man [DVD] [1952]
Dvd ~ John Wayne
Offered by A1tradingGB

5.0 out of 5 stars Philosophy and culture, 22 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Quiet Man [DVD] [1952] (DVD)
This film represents something very special to me. I've seen it the first time many years ago and it has imprinted an everlasting impression upon me. I wanted it, but living abroad, I couldn't find it easily. I have it at last and enjoyed viewing it, although every scene is written in my memory. My wife doesn't understand what I see in it and she doesn't like it at all.
The history is very simple and common: an American comes back to Ireland where he was born, meets a pretty woman, the wonderful Maureen O'Hara and marries her in spite of her brother's opposition. Everything ends well after an epic fight. That's it.
No, that's not it. See the magnificent Irish views, the rough and simple people, their language, their customs, their beers, their shillelagh and blackthorn sticks, their magnificent carts. A philosophy of live: living soundly and simply, roughly too and enjoying everything the day has to give. Back to yesterday, when live was hard, but pleasant.

Around The World In Eighty Days [1956] [DVD]
Around The World In Eighty Days [1956] [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Niven

5.0 out of 5 stars An ever lasting classic, 22 Feb 2010
I was a very young boy when my father took me to see it and it has left me an everlasting impression. I've seen this film over and over again during the years, each time with the same pleasure, discovering new facets and details. One has no words to present the great David Niven, unique in his genre and the one and only Phileas Fogg. I possess the three versions of this film. One could say, this one is the original, a trip around the world, oldfashioned and romantic. The one with Pierce Brosnan is more adventurous and a pleasure to watch. Brosnan, as are many English actors, is a gentleman and a very convincing Fogg' I loved his character. The third one with Jackie Chan is completely different, tailored for Jackie Chan and his monkey tours. Different, imaginative and very pleasant. Three films, three epochs, three convincing ways of interpreting Jules Verne history.

North Sea Hijack [DVD]
North Sea Hijack [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roger Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Roger Moore at his best, 22 Feb 2010
This review is from: North Sea Hijack [DVD] (DVD)
Roger Moore is not only a convincing James Bond but also a marvellous and talented actor. Be it in comedies or action movies, he has his own unique style, always dressed like a prince and he represents the archetype of an English Lord. Into my opinion, this film, together with many others with him, is a great Roger Moore classic, full of suspense and humour. The spectator will also enjoy seeing some other great actors, giving this film a supplementary appeal.

Page: 1 | 2