Profile for L. Reeves > Reviews

Content by L. Reeves

L. Reeves "LDS and Proud!" (Central England)

Rock And A Hard Place: One Boy's Triumphant Story
Rock And A Hard Place: One Boy's Triumphant Story
by Anthony Godby Johnson

1.0 out of 5 stars Not actually written by a boy.., 9 Oct. 2010
This book was said to be written by a 13-year old boy who had AIDS as a result of his parents raping him and sharing him with their friends. The movie "The night Whisperer" was based on the situation that arose after the book was published.

Even Armistead Maupin wrote a blurb for this book. Later, the existance of the boy was questioned. A voice analysis of the boy's voice in various telephone calls was revealed to be his caretaker's. A picture of the boy was shown to be that of a boy the caretaker had once taught. Also, no one besides the caretaker had ever seen the boy.

So his caretaker had totally invented the boy and had written the book himself. So, if you like the book, be aware that it wasn't written by an abused child but by someone who was so mentally ill that they chose to go to extreme lengths to get attention for themselves. This is called a Factitious Disorder and is difficult to treat. It is touched on in the above film.

Nice & Easy Romanian (Rea's Language Series)
Nice & Easy Romanian (Rea's Language Series)
by Staff Of Rea

3.0 out of 5 stars What year was this written in?! Unintentionally very funny!, 18 Feb. 2010
At the start of this book it says the language guide is based partly on one that is given to those who are deployed to Romania and don't have time to learn the language which I thought would mean it would be thorough yet easy to learn from.

First impressions were very good. It has a section with facts about the country and some good background about how Romania became what it is today, both politically and from a cultural point of view. There are photos of some of the main cultural/tourist attractions and even though the pictures are in black and white you really do get to see how splendid most of these buildings are.

So I turned the page to start the vocabulary section of the book. This was when I realised that whatever year that part of the book was written it was before I was born (I'm 26) and hadn't been updated at all since then. It was obviously taken wholesale from whatever book it was previously in and just copied into the new one. The font was like something out of the 60's and the vocabulary itself was antiquated to say the least. "Where can I find a water pump?" had me in stitches. Also "Where is your tractor?" made me laugh. I know a lot of Romania is rural but when you visit for a holiday are you really going to need to ask anyone either of those?

There was a lot of vocabulary about obtaining smoking material such as "Where is the tobacconist?" and "Give me a match." There were many "Give me" sentences and I thought how rude that was but at the bottom of the page it did add that you should always say please. Also you could ask for a wet shave, though I can't imagine that if you're staying in a place where you need a water pump there are many traditional barbershops.

I would be interested to see if other books in this series are as old fashioned and have equally amusing phrases in them.

Some of the vocabulary was good and covered signs you might see on the roads, asking directions and whether things were clean/dirty/expensive/cheap etc.

But the pronunciation guide told you nothing of how to pronounce actual Romanian words. Instead it told you how to read the pronunciations that were next to the Romanian words. Using this book, you could pronounce the words in it but if you came across a word that wasn't in the book, you wouldn't really know how to pronounce it correctly.

If this book was updated and a pronunciation guide to actual Romanian was added this would be a very good basic guide. As it stands it is okay but obviously you are limited in what you can say or read that isn't included in the text.

However, if you want a wet shave by a water pump after riding to a tobacconist on a tractor, this guide was made for you.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2014 10:57 PM GMT

THE BOOK OF MORMON: ANOTHER TESTAMENT OF JESUS CHRIST.
THE BOOK OF MORMON: ANOTHER TESTAMENT OF JESUS CHRIST.
by No Author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Testament..., 17 April 2009
This book has changed my life. I now know that this is the inspired word of God as given to the prophet Joseph Smith. I have been baptised into this one true church and am so very happy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2012 10:43 AM BST

Vengeance Is Mine: A Novel of Anne Boleyn, Katherine Howard, and Lady Rochford--the woman who helped destroy them both.
by Brandy Purdy

2.0 out of 5 stars Lesbian adventures at the court of Henry VIII? I don't think so!, 17 Sept. 2008
I read up to half way in this book and thought it was quite good. Nothing spectacular but a good, solid, historical novel. Then I got to the part where Anne Boleyn does a sort-of "Dance of The Seven Veils" number with her nipples painted gold and I thought, "Well, it MIGHT have happened".

So I carried on with the book, but when I got to the part where Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard are naked in bed together with a pot of honey, I just couldn't take it anymore. Is there REALLY any historical basis for this? I seriously doubt it. It put me off the rest of the book, though I did eventually finish it, all the time wondering if something even more outrageous would happen.

If you like your historical novels to read like a cross between the soap "Dallas" and the bawdy novels about Tom Jones, then this is your type of read. If however, like me, you like a little more substance and less conjecture, try Jean Plaidy.

One-Minute Answers to Anti-Mormon Questions
One-Minute Answers to Anti-Mormon Questions
by Stephen W. Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for eveyone!, 1 Jun. 2008
I've been reading this book as I'm hoping to join the LDS/Mormon Church. It's answered a lot of my questions and now I know what to say to people who have questions about the doctrines of the church. Each answer is quite short so if you wanted to get more in-depth answers I suggest a book like "Mormonism For Dummies" which is excellent too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2012 10:57 AM BST

The World's Top Twenty Worst Crimes
The World's Top Twenty Worst Crimes
by Kate Kray

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay book but typos let it down..., 28 April 2008
I have to agree with the other sellers on here about this book. The spelling, grammer and editing really is appalling. I did a sort of "double-take" when I got to the first of these mistakes, thinking I had read it wrongly, but after reading it through again I realised that, yep, it was the book. It really does detract from an otherwise quite good book.

Teen Devotional Journal: A Guided Journal with Thoughts and Scripture Taken from the NIV Teen Devotional Bible (Journals)
by Inspirio
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for younger teens...perhaps older new Christians too!, 16 April 2002
This book has a quite sophisticated plastic cover and at first glance would seem to appeal to all teens. However a look inside will reveal it is aimed at the 13-15 age range.
It has well laid out pages featuring a quote from a young Christian with a Bible verse then space on the same double page to write down your thoughts. The next double page has a small writing activity to do, something simple like writing prayers for friends or reflecting on how your free time could be better spent.
May also make a nice gift for older teens who have just become Christians because of its simple wording and lay out.