Profile for J. Hall > Reviews

Salter Slim Design Electronic Platform Kitchen Scale, Black
Salter Slim Design Electronic Platform Kitchen Scale, Black
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend to anyone, 26 May 2014
I have had these scales for over 3 years now and never changed the battery. To be fair I don't cook much - still they last. They are simple and very easy to use. Click for on / off - or 0. Then click through the other button for various measurements lbs / g / ml etc...

Also very slim and small so easy to store. I have made some great bakes with these - scones, brownies, shortbread (the macaroons were a disaster but it was a first attempt - I can't blame the scales). Great scales and a good price.

Russell Hobbs 18096 2-Slice Texas Toaster
Russell Hobbs 18096 2-Slice Texas Toaster
Price: 22.00

1.0 out of 5 stars We had a hate hate relationship!, 26 May 2014
This was my second attempt to find the ideal toaster (I since have). The first unit I was sent was faulty - worse it had been previously returned as faulty. I could tell because it was still full of crumbs from the previous owner. Amazon were great and sent me a second unit very quickly. However the elements on each side would give up - so working as and when they fancied.

Worse still was the year or more of burnt toast - every time. It does have a timer but this never seemed to make a difference - you would have to stand by it and pop frequently to check on the progress. The smallest distraction would end in a 2mm charcoal coating to anything and everything. It really had a mind if it's own. It ended up in the recycling after I decided life is too short to worry about burnt toast - I now have a very happy relationship with my new toaster. I say relationship - it's very one sided - basically I want toast and it gives me perfect toast. Exactly what a toaster should do.

Ancol Just 4 Pets Vintage House Bed, Red Polka
Ancol Just 4 Pets Vintage House Bed, Red Polka

2.0 out of 5 stars Miffy and Tot - my cats - were not keen, 26 May 2014
It is quite a large house bigger then I expected. Well made and Velcro sticks the roof to the walls. It also looks great. Unfortunately neither of my cats took to it. I don't think it helped that they kept jumping on the roof and making it collapse. Scared Miffy half to death when Tot jumped on it with her inside. Can't blame her.

I feel a bit mean giving it only two stars especially since the lady at my local charity shop was so happy to be given it. The simple fact is my cats didn't like it. Sorry.

Andrew James Powerful 300 Watt Hand Mixer With Chrome Beaters, Dough Hooks, 5 Speed With Turbo Button Includes Balloon Whisk
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD
Price: 39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - simple and easy, 26 May 2014
I found these very easy to use - in fact just whipped up some cream for a batch of scones. I used the single whisk attachment but will try the double set next time (took quite a long time tbf).

It is simple to put the right attachment in the right hole as there is an illustration on the machine however this may have been added to recent models. It is noisy on the highest two levels but this is to be expected.

Easy to clean and add / remove attachments. I have not used the bread hooks as I prefer to knead by hand - so cannot comment on these. However great for all your whisking / mixing needs.

A Year in Brambly Hedge
A Year in Brambly Hedge
by Jill Barklem
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful collection at a very good price, 26 May 2014
I was brought up on these books - could look at the illustrations for hours. I guess it helps when you live in the countryside and can imagine families of mice living in hollowed out tree trunks by wild rushing streams. Just thinking about them reminds me of childhood.

My mum got me the originals as they came out - this is a set of the four classic season books - spring, summer, autumn, winter. They tell the adventure of several mouse families (and a vole or two). There are other ones to collect if you do like these. I brought them for one of my boyfriends nieces - I am unsure if she liked them as I have not yet asked her.

The illustrations are amazing and everyone should have a copy in their bookcase.

Canac Cat & Kitten Post Colours may vary
Canac Cat & Kitten Post Colours may vary

4.0 out of 5 stars Two very happy cats, 17 Feb 2014
I have brought a couple of these over the last 3-4 years. My two cats seem to tear them apart within 10-11 months - obviously will last twice as long with one cat! They seem to love it. On one of the posts I had the ball broke in half - not a bad thing as the jingle bell can be annoying.

Also a favourite toy with my one year old nephew - the first thing he now goes to play with on his visits. Great value and seems to entertain. Would recommend as a basic scratch post - as long as you don't expect it to last forever.

Colourworks Silicone Ice Tray, Set of 2, Blue
Colourworks Silicone Ice Tray, Set of 2, Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ice tray I have ever owned, 17 Feb 2014
Made out of silicone so very easy to pop cubes out. The cubes are large with sharp edges (not dangerous sharp - just neat!). I have not put it in the dishwasher - I used to have a red heart silicone tray but it kind of 'melted' in the dishwasher. Have also had plastic ones snap on me before.

Very pleased with my purchase - also a pack of two so good value and a enough ice for several g&ts. Nice sky blue colour as well.

Numatic 601226 Airo Brush, 290 mm
Numatic 601226 Airo Brush, 290 mm
Offered by SPARES-2-GO
Price: 26.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Very loud and not good on laminate flooring, 16 Feb 2014
I brought this after my original Henry 'end' was accidently mixed up with someone else's (after a big cleaning project at work). I was left with a half broken brush bit for my Henry. This new one was several times louder - I think it is because it seems to be made out of plastic and whizzes around like anything.

It is brilliant on rugs and carpet - but unfortunately most of my house is wooden flooring so just seems to whizz around making a racket. Also noticed it leaves any semi-large items on the floor eg. a grain of cat litter, a stray cat biscuit etc... I went back to using my old Henry end - though I still use this one on the hall carpet and rugs.

MySims (Nintendo DS)
MySims (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Crunchbusters
Price: 14.79

1.0 out of 5 stars Just never really understood the attraction, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: MySims (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I guess this is probably aimed at young kids rather then myself (late 30's at the time of purchase). I just don't get it - boring and very repetitive. I love the sims in general and really enjoyed the original Nintendo version - I assumed that this would be similar.

Would not recommend - though saying that I got 40+ hours worth of game play before I wondered what I was doing with my life.

M-Edge Trip Kindle Keyboard Jacket  - Navy Blue with Red
M-Edge Trip Kindle Keyboard Jacket - Navy Blue with Red

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry but it did not work, 16 Feb 2014
Another boyfriend present to protect his kindle. My boyfriend travels lots for work and so after buying him a kindle I thought I had better get him some protection for it. I mainly chose this item for looks and price. I thought it was working fine - until several months later we found his kindle was crushed. He then admitted that this was his second kindle - he had brought a second one after the one I get him was broken during a trip abroad.

Obviously I was a sad panda as the case seemed to have failed twice. Suffice to say I think it ended up in the bin.... He doesn't have a case now - and is on his third kindle.

Page: 1 | 2