Profile for J. Hall > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Joseph Joseph Prep and Store, White/Grey
Joseph Joseph Prep and Store, White/Grey

2.0 out of 5 stars too small for serious cooking, 9 Aug. 2015
I brought these for my long suffering boyfriend (10 years of suffering!). I tend to buy him a 'useless' kitchen gadget every birthday (amongst other things) - generally something from Joseph Joseph. These were disappointingly small - very small. I had hoped you could prepare your ingredients for baking or cooking - but you can't fit much in. I actually decided to keep them for myself - I have used them a few times in the last year. They look ok and the build is really excellent - just a size thing.

Vacu Vin Wine Saver Pump with 2 x Vacuum Bottle Stoppers - White
Vacu Vin Wine Saver Pump with 2 x Vacuum Bottle Stoppers - White

5.0 out of 5 stars great little gadget and gift, 9 Aug. 2015
I love this gadget! As someone who lives alone I seem to end up with two thirds of a bottle of wine left - before I felt I had to drink it over the following few evenings or it would 'go off'. Now I can use this to pump the air out and seal with a rubber plug. Very easy to use - put the plug in the bottle, pump goes on top and pump until you hear the clicks. Done. Not really tested for how long you can keep the wine but sure I have done so for a week or more.

WATERPROOF CUBE SET COVER - DESIGNED TO FIT RATTAN GARDEN FURNITURE CUBE SET -
WATERPROOF CUBE SET COVER - DESIGNED TO FIT RATTAN GARDEN FURNITURE CUBE SET -
Offered by Rushmore Imports

3.0 out of 5 stars needs to be a more generous fit., 9 Aug. 2015
I have been using this for over a year now and it still keeps my garden set dry. The black colour has faded quite a bit - I doubt it will last more then another winter. Happy it keeps everything dry however very disappointed with the extremely tight fit. You have to gradually tease each corner down an inch at a time - much easier with two people - one person takes several minutes. My old one you could throw it over and all four corners would slide down to cover the set.

Inspiration Works Peppa Pig Sing and Learn Microphone
Inspiration Works Peppa Pig Sing and Learn Microphone

1.0 out of 5 stars very complicated and sounds awful., 9 Aug. 2015
Brought this for my two year old nephew but it is waaaaayyyyy too complicated. I think of myself as a practical person but I could not work out the right combinations of buttons to press for desired results. The music / songs are awful - just nasty noise. I have not given up on it yet - he may grow into it - but definitely not an instant hit.

OXO Good Grips 2.8 Litre Pop Cookie Jar
OXO Good Grips 2.8 Litre Pop Cookie Jar

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple storage that works, 9 Aug. 2015
Bigger and lighter then expected - filled one with two packs of biscuits and only half full. I brought a second one for crackers. They look good and the pop lid is very easy to use. So far biscuits and crackers have not gone stale. I read in another review that they were plastic so this was not a surprise. Very happy with my purchases.

Salter 1036 Slim Design Electronic Platform Kitchen Scale - Black
Salter 1036 Slim Design Electronic Platform Kitchen Scale - Black
Offered by deals-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend to anyone, 26 May 2014
I have had these scales for over 3 years now and never changed the battery. To be fair I don't cook much - still they last. They are simple and very easy to use. Click for on / off - or 0. Then click through the other button for various measurements lbs / g / ml etc...

Also very slim and small so easy to store. I have made some great bakes with these - scones, brownies, shortbread (the macaroons were a disaster but it was a first attempt - I can't blame the scales). Great scales and a good price.

Russell Hobbs 18096 2 Slice Texas Toaster
Russell Hobbs 18096 2 Slice Texas Toaster

1.0 out of 5 stars We had a hate hate relationship!, 26 May 2014
This was my second attempt to find the ideal toaster (I since have). The first unit I was sent was faulty - worse it had been previously returned as faulty. I could tell because it was still full of crumbs from the previous owner. Amazon were great and sent me a second unit very quickly. However the elements on each side would give up - so working as and when they fancied.

Worse still was the year or more of burnt toast - every time. It does have a timer but this never seemed to make a difference - you would have to stand by it and pop frequently to check on the progress. The smallest distraction would end in a 2mm charcoal coating to anything and everything. It really had a mind if it's own. It ended up in the recycling after I decided life is too short to worry about burnt toast - I now have a very happy relationship with my new toaster. I say relationship - it's very one sided - basically I want toast and it gives me perfect toast. Exactly what a toaster should do.

Ancol Just 4 Pets Vintage House Bed, Red Polka
Ancol Just 4 Pets Vintage House Bed, Red Polka

2.0 out of 5 stars Miffy and Tot - my cats - were not keen, 26 May 2014
It is quite a large house bigger then I expected. Well made and Velcro sticks the roof to the walls. It also looks great. Unfortunately neither of my cats took to it. I don't think it helped that they kept jumping on the roof and making it collapse. Scared Miffy half to death when Tot jumped on it with her inside. Can't blame her.

I feel a bit mean giving it only two stars especially since the lady at my local charity shop was so happy to be given it. The simple fact is my cats didn't like it. Sorry.

Andrew James Powerful 300 Watt Hand Mixer With Chrome Beaters, Dough Hooks, 5 Speed With Turbo Button Includes Balloon Whisk
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - simple and easy, 26 May 2014
I found these very easy to use - in fact just whipped up some cream for a batch of scones. I used the single whisk attachment but will try the double set next time (took quite a long time tbf).

It is simple to put the right attachment in the right hole as there is an illustration on the machine however this may have been added to recent models. It is noisy on the highest two levels but this is to be expected.

Easy to clean and add / remove attachments. I have not used the bread hooks as I prefer to knead by hand - so cannot comment on these. However great for all your whisking / mixing needs.

A Year in Brambly Hedge
A Year in Brambly Hedge
by Jill Barklem

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful collection at a very good price, 26 May 2014
I was brought up on these books - could look at the illustrations for hours. I guess it helps when you live in the countryside and can imagine families of mice living in hollowed out tree trunks by wild rushing streams. Just thinking about them reminds me of childhood.

My mum got me the originals as they came out - this is a set of the four classic season books - spring, summer, autumn, winter. They tell the adventure of several mouse families (and a vole or two). There are other ones to collect if you do like these. I brought them for one of my boyfriends nieces - I am unsure if she liked them as I have not yet asked her.

The illustrations are amazing and everyone should have a copy in their bookcase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3