Profile for Frank Plummer > Reviews

Content by Frank Plummer

Frank Plummer (Bristol, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
AA Digital Tyre Pressure Gauge
AA Digital Tyre Pressure Gauge

4.0 out of 5 stars This does its job very well and I have used it on my partners car as well as the bike to great success. Simple to use, 14 May 2015
I bought this pressure guage to use on my motorbike, as the foot pump guage is inaccurate (to say the least!).

This does its job very well and I have used it on my partners car as well as the bike to great success. Simple to use, well built and rugged enough to be thrown around a bit. No real grumbles, just a bit fiddly to get on the pressure valve of the bike with the brake calibers in the way.

StarTech.com 3.5mm 4 Position to 2x 3 Position 3.5mm Headset Splitter Adapter - F/M - 3.5mm headset Adapter Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 14 May 2015
Second of these units I've bought. The first unit hasn't broken or fallen apart or anything - I just found that I needed another of them! Impressed by the StarTech build quality of this unit, I now use them in work to split my headphone/inline mic jack audio out/audio in jacks for use with my laptop.

Works brilliantly, translates sound without any issue, would no doubt buy again.

SONY MDR-ZX110AP - black - headphones
SONY MDR-ZX110AP - black - headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stellar for the price!, 14 May 2015
I bought these headphones to use whilst in work, as I found I was listening to a lot of music whilst at my desk. I have a pair of Phillips headphones at home which I really like, but at £60 they were a bit much to warrant buying a secondary pair. My partner has a pair of Sony headphones, albeit a £70 pair, and I thought at £11 for the version with the inline microphone (which works really well, by the way) it wouldn't be too much to loose if they turned out to be rubbish.

But they're not! For the price, they are really really good!

I wouldn't expect superior sound quality, noise cancellation or a high range of acoustics from any product this price but the MDR-ZX110 give it a bloody good try. They're crisp, clear, comfortable to wear, built well and the rubber pads do provide a very rudementary audio cancelling feature; enough to isolate the amount of noise you take in to what you're listening to.

Would recommend for light use - these are great. If you're an audiophile, you are likely to be disappointed but I'm not and I love them.

Muc-Off Anti-Fog Treatment, 35ml
Muc-Off Anti-Fog Treatment, 35ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 9 Dec. 2014
Works actually really well. Was a bit skeptical but the instructions on the bottle are clear and if you follow them, this works a treat.

I do notice that if you remove too much of the spray, then the anti-fog effects still work but instead there is a bleary eyed-effect in its place. Arguably less distracting than fog but still, not great when you're riding to work.

If you can get that film/fluid balance right though this is great.

NEW DESIGN 801 MEN MOTORCYCLE MOTORBIKE TOUR URBAN RIDER BIKER ROAD BOOTS BLACK UK 10
Offered by Riderwear

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for fair weather and ocassional riders - for all year bikers spend a bit more, 9 Dec. 2014
For the price, these boots are pretty good. I use them every day on a long commute to work. They are waterproof and windproof and feel very solid around the ankle when they are on. The zips are pretty secure and the velcro are an added protection against the elements. The patches on the toes for your gear lever are great and do help when you are all layered up with thick socks.

My only grumble is they do wear quite quickly. I have had mine for 2-3 months now and the toes are starting to wear through, as is the top side of the boot, with lots of the material peeling away. Don't get me wrong I don't take these to trackdays - just the normal, 9-5 commute - but the material just doesn't seem that great. I would have liked them to last a bit longer before starting to look for alternatives, but I guess for the price they aren't too bad at all.

In short - okay if you aren't an everyday rider. Really solid and will last you a long time. If, like me, you ride everyday come rain or shine, invest in some slightly more expensive boots. You'll save money in the long run methinks.

LS2 - Pinlock Anti-Fog Insert Lens
LS2 - Pinlock Anti-Fog Insert Lens
Offered by NIGHTINGALES

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be included as standard!, 9 Dec. 2014
They should include these as standard on all helmets. Literally eliminated fogging up on my winter rides.

Note that if you wear glasses or sunglasses under your helmet, you should invest in some spray to stop these fogging up too.

ACF-50 Motorcycle And Automotive All Metal Anti-Corrosion Spray
ACF-50 Motorcycle And Automotive All Metal Anti-Corrosion Spray
Offered by Laguna Motorcycles Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's ACF-50!, 9 Dec. 2014
What can I say? It's ACF-50. If you're looking at this item, you probably know what it's for. For those that don't, it's the best thing for exposed metal in the winter months. Not only acts as a lubricant but also a protective layer to guard against rust.

Just be warned, if you use this on a motorbike you should clean it thoroughly before applying. And also be prepared for the smells and smoke afterwards. This stuff burns off the excess on any hot elements like exhaust pipes, and was a bit alarming the first time I used it.

MOTORBIKE LS2 FF370 SHADOW FLIP UP HELMET Motorcycle Scooter Flip Front Sports Touring Helmet Sharp4**** (M, HI-VIZ Yellow)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great helmet - would recommend., 2 Dec. 2014
A really good helmet!

Bought this after being let down by another helmet brand for the same price. This helmet is quality made. Everything about it is engineered and considered for practical, everyday use. The helmet locks in place and is secure, with easy releasing visor and the ability to use a pinlock insert to stop it fogging up is fantastic.

The only downside is its a little bit noisy. Not by much, but I just noticed that it was slightly noiser than my previous front-flip helmet. Apparently front flips/modular helmets are notoriously noisy, but it's not a huge deal at all.

I use this lid everyday on my commute to work and I would definitely, without a doubt buy another LS2 in the future.

Viper RS-V335 Motorcycle Helmet M Yellow/Hi-Viz
Viper RS-V335 Motorcycle Helmet M Yellow/Hi-Viz

2.0 out of 5 stars Damaged in transit or a bad helmet? Either way I sent it back., 2 Dec. 2014
This helmet arrived with two cracks in the protective polystyrene inside which in itself made me very concerned that this helmet would not be adequate in a crash. The front flip visor would not lock in position at the top of its travel, or hold in position at all, so as to making it pretty much useless for my uses.

The helmet itself may have been fine and this one damaged in transit, but I sent it back as I was not comfortable wearing this on my head and relying on it to protect me in case of an accident.

Oxford OF178 GP Chain Lock
Oxford OF178 GP Chain Lock
Offered by BIKINGEAR

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bike lock. Using it on a YBR125 and fits like a glove., 3 July 2014
Having heard horror stories about motorbikes being lifted into the backs of vans and taken for joyrides by overprivilged little twerps, I had to buy one of these when I bought my bike for peace of mind if nothing else.

I decided to go for Oxford for all my security kit as it's a well known brand and has a reputation for good quality stuff. This bike lock is no exception. It's heavy, thick and the length of it means it can loop round pretty much any part of the bike you choose (read on for where the best places are!). Being heavy it does mean that it gets cumbersome lugging it around but having thrown it in my backpack everyday, I can't honestly notice it being on my shoulders. The locking mechanism is a strange one to prevent lockpicking, but it's very sturdy and resilient to the elements so far.

Now - where to put it! Not through *just* a wheel. Wheels can be taken off motorbikes very easily indeed. Not *just* a fork or the swing arm - these are "closed circuits" if you like only kept close by a wheel. The best place to loop it round is multiple places. I loop mine around the main exhaust assembly. If somebody really wanted to get at my bike, they would need a full mechanic set with them - to be honest if they have that, no matter where I put this it won't do any good! To stop the bike-lifters and joyriders though, looping it round a part of the bike subframe is your best bet if you can (not all bikes have naked subframes though).

Page: 1 | 2