Profile for voiceofreason > Reviews

Content by voiceofreason

voiceofreason (Bedford)

Mark-it Perpetual Year Planner Laminated with Repositionable Date Strips W900xH600mm - Ref PYP

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but a teensy bit too heavy for the wall!, 19 July 2013
A good size. Arrived promptly. Reasonable value.

To continue to reuse, you might need to get additional coloured pens or stickers, as the stickers don't last very long

The wallplanner was too heavy to bluetack to the wall... fell down often in the night... until I bought some picture hanging tape, which worked a treat (but does cost an extra £3 - £5)

All in all, I really like this item.. it's useful and I think it'll last well

Gothic Rock
Gothic Rock

5.0 out of 5 stars ... you know you want to....., 17 Oct 2008
This review is from: Gothic Rock (Audio CD)
I borrowed this cd set from a friend in 2005, to hunt down who wrote 'shaving my neck' as I heard it at a party about 10 years ago & loved it to bits.
I finally gave him back the last 2 CDs a couple of months ago, after I foolishly let slip I still had them.
Pants.
Really, really missing them.
These are powerful, wistful, passionate songs, so evocative of the goth scene I experienced mid to end nineties.
Fave disc - 4 without a doubt
Fave songs - just about all of them! (haven't you read the line up??!)

So, what you waiting for? you can order one now and still get out to that Friday all-nighter (goth night, LR, whatever else tickles your fancy)
Oh and can you get one for me at the same time?

Z-Star Manual Juicer
Z-Star Manual Juicer
Offered by Health Angels

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointing, 21 Jan 2007
I requested this for christmas as I am aiming to go off grid and dislike buying juice due to lack of recycling facilities for juice cartons.

Other reviews I read on the net regarding this product sounded promising, but having used the juicer, I am disappointed.

The main 3 problems are

1) Although there is a container to collect the juice, there is no container to collect the pulp and no way to rig your own container up to catch it as it comes out from quite high up. You have to be really quick and catch the pulp in your hand (whilst turning the crank) before it falls into the juice container below.

2) It cannot cope with soft fruits at all, they just end up sitting in the barrel of the juicer until you tip them out into a sieve and mash them through with a spoon (defeats the purpose, don't you think)

3) You have to have an area of worktop with no cupboards or recessed cupboards under to clamp the juicer to. With a standard worktop you won't be able to clamp it in far enough to make it stable.

If my family had managed to buy this for £30.00 I would have thought 'fair enough'... but at the price it is sold for, it is disappointing in the least.

Unfortunately I don't know of a better manual juicer at present, so my advice is either wait (you may wait a long time) or get an electric one.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2010 7:13 PM GMT

The New Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency: The classic guide for realists and dreamers
by John Seymour

5.0 out of 5 stars My personal favourite, 16 Aug 2005
My mum bought me a plethora of books based on Amazon recommendations 3 years ago, including this one.

It is one of the most wonderful factual books that I have ever read, with a wealth of practical information for smallholders and a pithy, clear written style - a rarity in this type of book.

True, it isn't in depth about all aspects of smallholding, but that's not what it's there for - it provides a really good overview.

Check out the handy tips in the dairy and smallholding layout sections and the chapters detailing crop storage and preservation. There are even details on the working horse, fencing your land and milling grain to keep the aspiring smallholder on track.

But, even if you never get your bit of land, this book will still give you years of enjoyment and inspiration, as it has to me.