Profile for JDX > Reviews

The Plain Man's Book of Prayers
The Plain Man's Book of Prayers
by William Barclay

4.0 out of 5 stars Plain persons' book of prayers., 19 Oct 2014
Written in rather out of date English but very easily revised without violation. These are very positive and quietly uplifting prayers. His content is often surprising and although the written style is rather old fashioned the message is not. Recommended.

SwissGold Coffee Filter - one cup, reusable - KF300
SwissGold Coffee Filter - one cup, reusable - KF300
Offered by WOWOOO

4.0 out of 5 stars Backpack with excellent coffee potential anywhere., 19 Oct 2014
Very good, works very well, makes excellent coffee, cheaper and easier than almost all rival processes. Would be improved with a cap to cover the filter when in transit. This is potentially a very useful addition to ones travel pack.

Traditional Irish Tin Whistle Tutor (Book & CD)
Traditional Irish Tin Whistle Tutor (Book & CD)
by Geraldine Cotter

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfactory and pleasurable way to start playing several flavours of Irish folk music., 19 Oct 2014
With the CD this is even better than it was with a cassette. The text is good and the print good for novice musicians. I use it with soprano and alto recorders.

End to torment: A memoir of Ezra Pound
End to torment: A memoir of Ezra Pound
by H. D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, Lots of insights into the author and her subject., 19 Oct 2014
An amazing book I only discovered by accident very recently. I have been reading Pound and HD since the 1960s.

Music in the Castle of Heaven: A Portrait of Johann Sebastian Bach
Music in the Castle of Heaven: A Portrait of Johann Sebastian Bach

5.0 out of 5 stars For this reader J S Bach will never be the same again, 7 Feb 2014
I have not yet read even half of this book. For this reader it is already life changing. As a listener Bach has been important to me for at least sixty years and probably nearer seventy. Since childhood I have never been able to understand comments about the intellectual nature of Bach's music. At least not where that has seemed to imply that his music is cerebral but not emotional. To me that parallels saying the same thing about Gerrard Manley Hopkins, or St John of the Cross, or that T S Eliot is not lyrical. I have read that Bach was deeply religious and I have read that he only paid lip service to religion. Some performances have brought William Blake's Newton to mind which has left me feeling uneasy. Intuitively I have felt Bach being played as if he had written etudes. Studies in sustained even tone. I recognise that Wanda Landowska's performances were all wrong by comparison with Glen Gould. Yet I heard a fire in her performances and an ennui in his which drew me to her as being closer to the source. She did not have access to satisfactory instruments for her purpose. Today that would not be a problem....

John Eliot Gardiner seems to me to be putting all this right. Paragraph by paragraph is an Aha! experience. I am forming a view that of Bach before Gardiner and Bach after. He is of course not alone, nor is his view entirely original (that way lies madness). When the Bach violin pieces are played so they are the obvious precursors to Isaac Stern's performance of unaccompanied Bartok then I feel we are approaching the mother lode.

Gardiner has made me aware of aspects of German political and religious history of which I knew nothing. This has helped me and added to my appreciation of the richness of this music that I love. Bach seems to work on so many levels and this book is illuminating that and adding further layers too.

I feel my whole understanding of music and its relationship with the other arts is being nurtured as I read this book. My ears tell me that Gardiner is on to something special. His book goes a long way to explaining what that is.

New York Minute
New York Minute

5.0 out of 5 stars me? Buy an Eagles Track?, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: New York Minute (MP3 Download)
Don Henley is the perpetrator of this track so not the Eagles exactly. I heard him sing on the radio and thought it wonderful. Great singing. I don't buy singles but I bought this and I'm delighted by it. New York Minute:gets right to what modern life is about.

Into The Woodwork
Into The Woodwork
Offered by MEGA Media FBA

4.0 out of 5 stars girl on top preferred, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: Into The Woodwork (Audio CD)
By and large I prefer Carla and Steve's joint ventures when she is in charge. I'm getting to like this more with repeated listenings. I won't be throwing this CD away.

Special Edition
Special Edition
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Revisiting Special Edition, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: Special Edition (Audio CD)
Arthur Blythe is a favourite player. Jack de Johnette even more so. I have the LP. I considered digitalizing that but when i looked at this set of four CDs I decided it was worth buying the commercially produced version and getting three bonus CDs that I knew would all contain tracks I would like.

The prediction was sound, This is a box to treasure. You don't get autorip with ECM disks but dropping them into Amazon Cloud was very easy (I find it easier than iTunes). You can hear longer samples on iTunes and that is very helpful: On One For Eric listen out for a phrase from David Murray that Mike Brecker developed into a wonderful blues (Delta City Blues).

Good stuff.

Minor Blues in All 12 Keys
Minor Blues in All 12 Keys

5.0 out of 5 stars love it or hate it., 5 Sep 2013
I have a bass playing friend who loathes this particular backing track collection. The chord sequence is the same in all twelve keys. The tunes are not, and one track is in six four. I use this regularly to develop intonation and instrumental mastery. Play each key until you feel you are in charge and then click for the next track. It ensures you can play ii V i in all twelve keys but also in a context.

I find the material is all about developing my ear. With these backing tracks I almost always play entirely by ear. This is an excellent way to practice dimWT scales in a context. My personal approach here is to work up the first four or five notes and then start again descending four or five whole tones. Until i can play these independent tetrachords competently I find i get lost if I try the whole scale as a basis for improv. And there is much more.

Kitchen Craft Le'Xpress Coffee Filter & Measuring Spoon- boxed
Kitchen Craft Le'Xpress Coffee Filter & Measuring Spoon- boxed

5.0 out of 5 stars coffee measure, 5 Sep 2013
I wanted a coffee measure and bought these three items for the price of one. The filter produces excellent coffee and will make one cup so each user can determine their own preferred strength. The supplied plastic spoon makes coffee that my wife likes. I make it strong for myself. Lightweight and very easy to clean and must be the cheapest way of making excellent coffee. No filters to throw away, no cafetiere to clean (the coffee is better anyway. Batteries not included BECAUSE you don't need any. Take it camping, it weighs almost nothing....Caravan, Work, And it will make you four cups at a time. Ideally you need to know what volume of water is required for the number of cups. I personally stir the grounds as I add the water.

Page: 1 | 2