ARRAY(0xa3088a08)

Profile for S. R. H. James > Reviews

Content by S. R. H. James

S. R. H. James (London, UK)

The Man from Pomegranate Street: Roman Mystery 17 (The Roman Mysteries)
The Man from Pomegranate Street: Roman Mystery 17 (The Roman Mysteries)
by Caroline Lawrence

5.0 out of 5 stars valete, Flavia et al. (for the time being?), 23 Jun 2009
Caroline has done it again and so the series ends. Many of the reviewers have beaten me to what I wanted to say. I would add that I really enjoyed both the sensational and sensible investigation into Titus' mysterious death, offering a sting in the tail. I would hesitate to speak for all Classics teachers but this series has done so much more than we could ever hope for to promote the study of those most glorious and underestimated subjects, Latin and Ancient History, weaving in history, social mores, geography, humanity, mythology and linguistics to name a few. We owe her so much and I confess I have had to adapt my own course to embrace the fresh research she has brought us over the last few years. Books for 9-12? No, the breadth is far, far wider. If I may end on a Jussive Subjunctive, floreant Flavia, Nubia, Jonathan and Lupus.

The Prophet from Ephesus: Roman Mystery 16 (THE ROMAN MYSTERIES)
The Prophet from Ephesus: Roman Mystery 16 (THE ROMAN MYSTERIES)
by Caroline Lawrence

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner, 25 Feb 2009
It's getting exciting now, isn't it? The (alas) penultimate book of this fabulous series, so well researched as always. We have travelled the length and breadth of the Roman Empire enjoying the thrilling adventures of Flavia, Jonathan, Nubia and Lupus. What's more, we have learned so much about the mores of those times, not always comfortable but full of honesty and integrity. This one deals with the tricky subject of child abduction, touched upon in a previous volume. And an ending awaits. Read it and collect the series.