Profile for Mr. P. Baker > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Home Budget Manager Lite
Home Budget Manager Lite

3.0 out of 5 stars Great little accounts App....BUT..., 2 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Home Budget Manager Lite (App)
Wanted an App to help organise my finances, came across this App which seems to fit the bill (sorry for the pun) perfectly.
It enables me to organise all my different accounts, i.e. cash, bank accounts, credit cards, etc. Add money to any account, take off, set up recurring bills or direct debits, or transfer money from one account to the other. And you can do everything in pounds or any number of currencies that you can select in the App settings. As well as various other statistical options.
HOWEVER the big issue with this App is that its really only a trial version, that lasts for 30 days. After which it locks you out. You'll therefore have to buy the full version to use it on a long term basis, or delete it from your device and re-download the trial app.

Casio Collection Men's Solar Collection Digital Quartz Watch W-S220-1AVEF
Casio Collection Men's Solar Collection Digital Quartz Watch W-S220-1AVEF

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch. Just a bit more complicated than I expected, 25 Aug. 2013
I wanted a good everyday digital watch, and looking at the spec. of this watch vs price seemed perfect for me.
On first receiving the watch you need to go through an initial set-up process. This includes the basics of time and date, but also includes entering a city code, and options for "daylight saving time", button tone, illumination duration and finally power saving.
What I like about the watch is that it uses two buttons to alter the settings, one for up and one for down, making it quicker to set-up.

I'll start first on the power saving option. If the option is on, the watch will turn the display OFF at night if it doesn't detect enough light, to save battery power. So if you come to put the watch on in the morning and the screen if blank, just move the watch to a well light area or press a button to wake the watch.
The stopwatch results with lap splits are saved into the watches memory, so you can re-use the stopwatch and review all your results anytime later.
The countdown timer, is split between 2 timers. You can use one timer or both. Using both means the watch will countdown the first timer, and when this reaches zero, will automatically start the second timer. when this reaches zero the alarm will sound. It can also be set up to repeat the timers in a sort of loop, up to ten times.
The Alarm features include 4 alarms, a snooze alarm which when activates, will repeat every 5 minutes for upto 7 times. And finally an hourly time signal.
World time gives the times in various cities around the world.
And finally the illumination. Nice button under the face of the watch activates the LED light in the lower left corner of the display. I've seen better illumination methods from CASIO, but in poor light I'm able to read the watch display perfectly well, and can be set to illuminate the display for 1.5 or 3 seconds.
Overall a very nice watch, but you need to study the manual a bit to achieve it's full potential.

Edit: Have been using the watch for a couple of months now, and still very happy with the watch. The display is nice and large and I can use it as a bedside table clock and tell the time from any distance in the room. In terms of the accuracy of the watch, I'm finding that it's gaining about a second per week, which I'm more than satisfied with.

HD Calendar
HD Calendar

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected for FREE, 8 Aug. 2013
This review is from: HD Calendar (App)
I found myself in a position of requiring a calendar to organise all of my appointments, so they don't clash. The first option I did was
look at the FREE Apps. HD Calendar caught my eye, so I downloaded it to try.
On opening the App, the bottom half consists of the main calendar, forming the outside of a wheel that is rotated forwards or backwards to display earlier or later weeks. Once Events are put in these show up on the relevant dates in rather small text, but gives a good overview of what appointments you have coming up. By selecting a specific date on the wheel, the top half of the screen shows the appointments you have in more detail.
To add a new Appointment, select the appropriate date on the wheel and tap on "New" at the bottom of the screen. You are then asked to enter the start time using two scrolling lines for hours and minutes. You can then enter various details like Title, location, alter the start and finish time, and the Repetition of the Event (i.e. Weekly, Yearly etc.). After tapping on "Save" it updates your calendar. You can then select this Event in the top part of the screen to Edit or Del the Event.
The other icons on the bottom of the screen are used to jump to the current date or Goto a specific date (rather than use the wheel), as well as Agenda, which shows just a list of your Appointments in chronological order, and Week, which shows the days Events with a column showing 4 days of the calendar rather than the wheel, which you can scroll up or down.
On the Kindle Fire HD the "=" sign to bring up the menu covers the time displayed at the bottom of the screen, but this can be rectified by turning the Kindle from Portrait to Landscape mode.
There are various other options available like altering the Background image (Select from a list of images only). As well as Select the Day the Week starts on (Sunday or Monday ONLY), as well as Synchronize with you E-mails, which I haven't looked into.
I've used the App a number of times, and a couple of those I've come up against a blank screen and needed to close the App and try again, or the App starts up and seems to take a few seconds to read the Kindle's clock before displaying the screen fully.
So ultimately not perfect, but I'm finding it very useful and for a FREE App will live with the slight issues.

Edit: I've realised there are two ways to exit the App on the Kindle Fire HD. Tapping on menu and select the back arrow or "House image". Selecting the House image doesn't seem to fully close the App and could be why I have had problems listed above. When you tap on the Back arrow it asks if you want to Exit from Application. Each time I've used the Back arrow it's worked perfectly the next time.

Jak and Daxter Trilogy (Playstation Vita)
Jak and Daxter Trilogy (Playstation Vita)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I'd hoped it would be., 12 July 2013
I'd delayed getting this game due to the mixed reviews. However having all 3 Jak and Daxter games on the PS Vita was too much of a temptation.

In terms of The first Jak and Daxter game, I've only progressed to 21%, but have experienced the fishing mini-game and flying section. Based on these facts, I can say it's a colourful fun game, and I haven't experienced any noticable slow-downs etc. However, the minor issue with the game I've noticed is more due to the PS Vita controls. Having so small a set of thumbsticks, means I find controlling the game a little more difficult, making the game overall harder compared with it's console version. It's the same with other PS Vita games (the worst for me being Wipeout 2048), but this could just be my age and chubby fingers!! In terms of other minor issues, not all springboards seem to work like they should, and the camera moves in certain sequences, making me fall off platforms (but this happens in the console versions of the game).

I've played Jak 2 less (only 4%) but the platform and flying sections all work well with no issues I've noticed.

Jak 3, I'll have to play that later, as I'm enjoying the first game too much.

On a final note, when viewing the start animations on all games, the screen on my PS Vita goes dull after a few minutes, due to the power saving option on the console, so I have to tap the screen to return to full brightness. Plus the manual available with the game gives basic controls, but misses some of the vehicle controls on the first Jak game.
Overall This is an excellent collection of games. I loved Jak and daxter when it came out on the PS2, and I'm loving it even more on the PS Vita.

Docs To Go Premium Key
Docs To Go Premium Key

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Office package, 18 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Docs To Go Premium Key (App)
As this is the full function unlock key, you first need to Download the Documents to Go 3.O Main App (found below in the More Apps by this developer section), before this App. Upon installing this key, it takes a few minutes to update the App, before you can use it.

You then have a basic, but very useful word processor and spreadsheet program. The best way to Open a document is to select it in the DOCS option of the Kindle`s home screen, and select the "Sheet to Go" or "Word to Go" option. Trying to find the file you need in the App first off is very awkward. You then have the option to edit your documents to a basic level.

I`ve also been able to import a .csv file. In this case you view it as a spreadsheet, but you cannot edit it.

Overall a very good attempt at an Office package, and does exactly what I wanted it to do.

Chess
Chess

2.0 out of 5 stars What no CASTLING!, 4 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Chess (App)
Always loved chess games (just no good at strategy). Took advantage as this game is App of the day and the other reviews a little mixed. Started on a game and the computer moves were very promising. However when I tried to CASTLE, the game wouldn't allow me to!! Plus no tutorial to teach you the basic moves and techniques. Not aimed at the serious player.

Good Food Magazine
Good Food Magazine

2.0 out of 5 stars More expensive than the paper version, 30 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Good Food Magazine (App)
Downloaded App, and with all other magazine Apps I've seen, you have to pay for the magazines (one issue or a subscription). With Good Food, one issue costs £3.99, where the actual paper version of the magazine is £3.70. They also are missing the very latest issue, so in summary you are paying more for the digital version and have to wait sometime after the paper version is out to read the digital version.

Logic Problems - Mind Teaser Grid Game
Logic Problems - Mind Teaser Grid Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice level of challenge, 26 Nov. 2012
Puzzles are split into groups of 5. Difficulty increases as you work through each group. I found they all require a good level of concentration to complete, the last one or two needing note taking as well as the grid to solve. The Kindle Fire HD is just the right size for filling in the grids. Overal very enjoyable. Suitable for slightly experienced puzzlers or anyone with a logical mind and plenty of patience.

Bridge Constructor
Bridge Constructor

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun AND educational!, 26 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Bridge Constructor (App)
Fun game for all us budding engineers. So far I have got to bridge 3, and everything is working perfectly on my Kindle Fire HD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grab a drink and sit down before reading this review!!, 22 Nov. 2012
My main reasons for buying a Kindle Fire HD were to access the web and my E-mails without needing a PC, Replace my MP3 player, Read kindle e-books, and Download and use various Apps ie Twitter, games etc.

On receiving the Kindle Fire HD, set-up was very straight forward with account logins virtually all taken care of for me. E-mail set-up was also as easy as only needing to select my provider and entering E-mail name and password (once only).

First off Music.
I liked the idea of the Kindle's stereo speakers, so I could listen to my music without headphones. As I have bought a number of MP3 albums from Amazon over the last few years, I knew I would have access to these straight away, and could listen to them by streaming off the Cloud and not have to use up space in the Kindle's memory. However I quickly noticed that not all of my albums were present in the Cloud, so I had to identify which one's were missing and upload them from my PC. This could take anything from a few minutes to 30-40 minutes per album (depending on how many tracks Amazon's database recognised). A bit of a pain, but as they were MP3's purchased from Amazon, it was free to do and didn't effect the 250 track limit for importing other muisc tracks onto Amazon's cloud system. I could also connect the Kindle to a PC and transfer music into the kndle's memory very easily. The music sounds very good through the speakers, and I could listen comfortably on a lowish volume setting. I also noticed that when streaming the music off the Cloud, it seemed to store the track in its memory, so I could relisten to a number of tracks and it wouldn't need to re-download the tracks (the limit of this I haven't been able to calculate yet).
When buying new music, it's better to use the Music App than the web-browser, as you can listen to the sample tracks on the App.

E-books:
Using the kndle for reading e-books gives a more colourful display compared with using an e-ink reader, so viewing comic books or books with pictures, the Kindle Fire HD has the advantage. Again it's my recommendation to use the Books App to browse, sent samples and to buy books.
On another note, with digital versions of anything, it seems possible that something you buy one year might not be available a year or two later. This happened to be the case for one of my e-books I bought on my kindle e-ink reader.

Apps:
This was my first tablet, so Apps is a relatively new area for me. There have been comments by others about the limited number of Apps available. All I can say is there is a good selection. Along with the FREE App of the day, I have found a good number of games and more serious Apps for either a low price or are FREE. However it's still missing what I think are important Apps like a youtube viewer etc. So far the Apps I've downloaded can range in size from a few MBs to 20-30 MBs, with the odd one around the 500MB's area (ie the Broken sword game). The quality of the Apps can be very good for some and lower for others, so I always look for reviews to get an initial idea on the App.

Videos:
The main and ONLY use of the Video App I can work out is to stream videos from LOVEFILM, along with managing your watchlist (for streaming). Image quality is very nice, but the screen surface is very reflective.

Magazines and newspapers:
Not something I looked at closely, but selection is a little limited (GoodFood magazine- Please Amazon!!)

Favourites:
If you use an App or visit a web-site frequenlty, then you can add it to the Favourites (Star) list to quickly access it next time.

Web-browsing:
The web-browser seems better than the web-browsers I've come across on other portable devices. It's a step up from those, but still not quite as good as a PC web-browser. It lacks certain abilities like video viewing, and you can't listen to track samples on Amazon's web-page, hence why the Music App is the better option. I've even had to give up trying to Buy an item from one companies web-site and use my PC.
When using the web-browser. I prefer using the Kindle in landscape mode, to make the text bigger, and easier to select links.
The search option on the Kindle Fire HD is linked to Bing, so if you want to use a different one, you need to use the web-browser and enter the relevant web-address.

Documents (via Cloud):
Transferring documents onto the kindle in a relatively easy process of uploading them onto Cloud from your PC and selecting them on your kindle. I've only tried text and pdf documents, both worked well on the Kindle, you just need to give some pdf files time to open.

Speed/Performance comments:
The Kindle Fire HD doesn't feel MEGA fast in certain operations. When scrolling through some lists, I feel there is a very tiny delay between when I first touch the screen and the scrolling starts, but fine after that, When viewing a web-page, you might come across blank areas as you scroll down faster than the page can load, but only very minor issues.

Adverts:
Love them of hate them, the Kindle likes its Adverts (or recommendations). On the wake screen you are presented with one of the Offers currently available (see Offers in the top menu). This could be the Kindle book of the day deal, or one of the Adverts for Cruising, toothbrushes etc. However it's missing the MP3 albums of the week (which I'd also like to be included). Also when scrolling through the carousel of Apps/Music albums you've recently used/listened to, underneath will be recommendations for similar items.

Battery life and charging:
As you can do a lot of different things on the Kindle Fire HD, battery life will always be hard to calculate for everyone. For me, I'm mainly using the Kindle for web-browsing, reading E-mails, streaming the odd TV episode or two, listening to music track samples etc, I'm finding the battery seems to last around 7 hours before the battery level reaches 15% and a warning message comes up. If I do any book reading it will last a little longer. Normally I might expect the battery level to drop quickly when streaming TV shows or films, but no more quickly than other activities. It's more when I'm downloading that the battery seems to drop the quickest. I haven't let the battery level get lower than 15% so you could possibly get more time out of the battery than what I've quoted.
On charging, I use a standard USB charger that came with my e-ink Kindle, and it takes about 4.5 hours to charge up from 15% to 100%, not that much longer than the FAST charger is quoted at doing.

Final thoughts:
The Kindle Fire HD is not without its slight issues, I still need a PC or other device to do everything I need to on certain web-sites. Hopefully in time the Apps and magazine selections will improve, but overal lI've been impressed with the kindle Fire HD, it has totally replaced by existing MP3 player, e-ink reader, drastically reduced the amount of time I use the PC (with all its constant updates and crashes) and is is a superb device that I use on a daily basis.

EDIT: After a good six months with the device I am finding the battery life to be around 7 hours if I'm not doing any e-book reading. With e-book reading it's more like 8 hours, but it will depend on how much reading you do, maybe more than what I've quoted.

Annoying points of the Kindle: The predictive text can help speed up inputting text or can totally change the words I've typed in, so I have to constantly check what the screen is showing.
Every now and then, it asks me to sign in when I turn the Kindle on. When I click on OK, it opens up a new amazon page, but everything is in DOLLARS??
However, overall what I love about the Kindle is the support from Amazon. Daily kindle e-book offer, free App of the day, weekly MP3 album offers etc.
There's always a reason to turn the Kindle ON.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2012 6:32 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2