Profile for Mr. Raj French > Reviews

Content by Mr. Raj French

Mr. Raj French "Raj" (London)

Denied Access
Denied Access
by David Chick

5.0 out of 5 stars Well said, 1 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Denied Access (Paperback)
Between about 1860 and 1960 in Britain many young women had their child snatched from them at birth by "the authorities". The crime that these young women had committed was having a baby out of wedlock. Many mothers were incarcerated in Insane Asylums for many decades and many never saw their child again. Some of the babies were even transported to Australia where they remained for all their lives! These things happened either with the complicity of the young mother's family or, at least, her family was powerless to help.

Looking back now, it is generally accepted that this brutality was a mistake. How long will it take us, therefore, to wake up to a similar situation that is occurring in our country today? Children are being snatched from their fathers at birth! The father is removed from his home and made to endure financial hardship and degrading treatment at the hands of "the authorities". He is forced to undergo Psychiatric Assessments as to his suitability for being allowed to see his own child! His crime was that the mother of the child has fallen out of love with him!

I would like to thank David Chick for this excellent book which is an inspiration to me as I endure in 2010 similar circumstances to his suffrage between 2000 and 2005. Let me quote to you from the Bible, The Gospel According to Matthew;
"How blest are those who have suffered persecution for the cause of right; the kingdom of heaven is theirs.
How blest you are, when you suffer insults and persecution and every kind of calumny for my sake. Accept it with gladness and exultation, for you have a rich reward in heaven; in the same way they persecuted the prophets before you."

In the Shadow of the Moon: A Challenging Journey to Tranquility, 1965-1969 (Outward Odyssey: A People's History of Spaceflight)
by Walter Cunningham

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 20 Feb. 2008
I have now read both 'Into that Silent Sea' and ' In the Shadow of the Moon'. Undoubtedly the pair represent an opus magnum, especially as they are given added authority by the comments of the participants in the early attempts to conquer space. The detailed accounts of the flights and the biographies of the crews are clearly the result of deep research by the authors over, it seems, a period of decades. I must presume that those readers, who know an infinite amount about the subject more than I do, will identify and vouch for the authenticity of the data, which I am completely unable to attempt. The two volumes are therefore a historical landmark for future generations similar to our seeking sources of the current affairs in the time of the Venerable Bede.
Until now the names that have been mentioned to me in the past have meant as much to me as the characters in the books by Tolkein, no book or film of whom I have ever read or seen. I now, however, have two volumes of carefully compiled references, to which I can turn to mitigate my almost complete ignorance of the space race. I must confess, for people of my vintage and background, it is not easy simply to pick up either volume and readily comprehend the intricate demands on the creators of the spacecraft and on the crews. For those among you who have a deep knowledge of the subject, the resolving of the technical problems and the remarkable courage of the crews will be a constant fascination, of which you will undoubtedly always wish to recall.
Within my orbit of knowledge, I can honestly comment that the books are very well and clearly written and the subject matter has been compiled in a most orderly manner. At no time did I have to wonder how the next aspect followed on from the former; so even a complete novice to the material as myself could follow the trend, objectives and development of the technical programme and the building of the physical capabilities, experience and knowledge of the crews.
In short I heartily congratulate the authors on their dedicated research and your concentrated application to write two profoundly authentic volumes of the space programmes over a most critical early period of eight years.

Into That Silent Sea: Trailblazers of the Space Era, 1961-1965 (Outward Odyssey: a People's History of Spaceflight)
by Francis French

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, 23 April 2007
Now that the "Cold War" seems thankfully to be in the past, there is a unique opportunity to reflect on the astronauts and cosmonauts that fought the space race in the sixties.

Francis French and Colin Burgess give a personal "down-to-earth" as well as an "up-in-orbit" view of the American and Soviet men and women who made considerable personal sacrifices and showed true bravery to try and beat the other country to the stars.

It's very well written and accessible to space illiterate technophobes like me. Thoroughly recommended reading.