Profile for Stephen Zarczynski > Reviews

Content by Stephen Zarczynski

Stephen Zarczynski (S.Yorkshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Hidom High Efficiency Quiet Adjustable Multi-Speed Aquarium Air Pump - 2.5w 2.0 LPM
Offered by Kettering Koi & Ponds Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a really quiet pump !, 26 Feb. 2015
Over the 5 years I've had my aquarium I've had numerous air pumps, always trying to find that elusive silent one, but none are silent, but this one is the closest to silent I have ever had, event if you turn the flow up full the only extra noise is the bubbling from the airstone not noise from the pump. If it lasts well it has to be a bargain and I can give it a full 5* recommendation.

Ibanez Gio Series GSR180-BK Electric Bass Guitar 4-String
Ibanez Gio Series GSR180-BK Electric Bass Guitar 4-String

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality instrument for the money., 23 Aug. 2014
Just had the bass for a few days, for the money it is unbeatable value, the finish which is really classy and construction quality belies the low price. Straight out of the box the setup was not perfect although the instruction manual gives precise instructions how to set up the instrument properly, initial fret buzz was easily cured by slackening the truss rod slightly, the playing action was just about ok as with the pickup height. The bass is a very manageable weight, much more so than a Squier Jazz bass I tried which was downright heavy. The only slight downsides I've found is the tone control seems to make very little difference to the sound of the instrument, also the E string supplied had some light corrosion for about 2" of its length at about the 3rd fret which felt rough to the touch, I have informed the supplier (Andertons Music) of this and they are posting me out a replacement string. I had also considered the Yamaha RBX170 which is an almost identical design but is £40 more expensive, the only difference being the Yam has a split pickup at the neck position the Ibanez a standard single coil, the Ibanez also has a control plate on the back of the body which is nicely sunk into the body, the Yams plate stands proud which makes it look a little cheap. I bought from Andertons as the price (£130) included a very nice quality gig bag worth £30 so as a package it was unbeatable value, certainly for someone starting to play bass who does not want to spend too much on their first bass this is ideal.

First4spares Brush Head Soleplate and Brushroll Bar Kit for Dyson DC14 DC04 DC07 Vacuum Cleaners
Offered by L.M Electrical

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile to keep the vac working well., 17 Aug. 2014
Quality replacement at a good price.

Fringe - Season 5 (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2013] [Region Free]
Fringe - Season 5 (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Anna Torv
Offered by MediaMine

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant finale., 17 Aug. 2014
Great finish to the best Sci-Fi series of the last decade, if you've never seen it watch it all, it's exceptional TV.

Dust-Off XL Duster - 300ml
Dust-Off XL Duster - 300ml

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't do what it says on the tin., 17 Aug. 2014
Disappointed that the instructions state not to be used on camera mirrors, which was my prime reason for buying it, was of money for my needs.

Digital Long-Playing LP Turntable Stylus Force Scale Gauge Tester for Tonearm Phono Cartridge
Offered by Victory Cyber Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice bit of kit., 17 Aug. 2014
Very good quality for not much money,recommended.

Project Genie MK3 Turntable With 2M Red Piano White
Project Genie MK3 Turntable With 2M Red Piano White

5.0 out of 5 stars A Super Cool Deck that sounds Hot!, 29 Jun. 2014
I recently bought this deck as a replacement for my previous ProJect Debut Carbon mainly as the Carbons steel platter precluded an upgrade of cartridge to a moving coil. I have only had the Genie for 3 days but it has already exceeded my expectations and proved itself superior to the Carbon. As the previous reviewer correctly stated the flimsy felt mat needs replacing to get the deck to perform at its best, I use the Origin Live upgrade mat on the Genie as I did on the Carbon and it is head and shoulders ahead of the stock mat for SQ and it's antistatic too. The Genie blows the Carbon out of the water in the looks department particularly in the gloss white that I bought. I have mine supported on a polished Granite slab supported by 4 Sorbothane hemispheres 3cms in diameter, I have not found it necessary to isolate the motor any further as I get no perceptible noise from it whatsoever, in fact on a perfect pressing the noise floor is remarkably low. As the other reviewer remarked mine did not have the cartridge aligned correctly, the cartridge was slightly skewed in the cartridge platform and as with my Carbon the azimuth was out(stylus not properly vertical in the groove) thankfully both the Carbon and Genie have armtubes which can be rotated to correct the error, getting this spot on is vital in my view to get best SQ and minimise record wear. Even with the 2M Red which is probably as good a cartridge as you can get for £80 the SQ is very good although the average quality stylus does tend to mean some congestion of the sound in the innermost record grooves, this being the reason for users upgrading to the 2M Blue with its superior stylus, to get better SQ albeit at a much higher price. I have already on order a Denon DL110 high output moving coil cartridge which I believe will take the Genie to an even higher performance level. For the money the Genie is an absolute steal,if you are worried about the lack of a dust cover, just put that flimsy std mat on top of the one you are using on the deck to keep any dust off it, for the money it has to be the coolest turntable around 5* Star Recommended.
Update:-
As I stated earlier, I have upgraded the cartridge to the Denon DL110 high output moving coil and after about 30-40hrs break in the combination seems to be a match made in heaven, the combination is highly detailed,neutral and dynamic and never fails to put a smile on my face when I play any of my records, at a combined price of well under £400 the sound quality is outstanding

AKG K550 High-Performance Closed-Back Reference Class Headphones - Black
AKG K550 High-Performance Closed-Back Reference Class Headphones - Black
Offered by home AV direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic phones now at a great price., 1 May 2014
Having had a high end hifi system for many years headphone listening has never been my preferred listening choice. Recently I have been forced into headphone listening due to noisy new neighbours. First priority then was phones that excluded outside sounds, hence closed back, the AKG K550s score well excluding 80+% of outside noise. Comfort, the ear cups are quite large and almost completely envelope the ears and the faux leather pads are very soft, although extended listening is no problem when the warm weather arrives I get the feeling they may get rather warm, Currently AKG do not list any alternative pads such as velour which I think would be my preference for summer listening, but as they are a fairly new model that situation could change. Sensitivity, the phones are pretty easy to drive, my iPod Nano at about 80% volume gives a decent listening level but a separate headphone amp helps with the SQ. Engineering quality and finish, these phones are exceptionally well designed and constructed and are very smart.
Sound quality, for the price these phones are definitely top drawer, that is after the initial break in period, to speed up the break in I left the Nano playing into them overnight for several nights running, initially this improved bass and later midrange and treble. The phones are very well balanced in response, but they will not suit bass heads, the bass is clean, tight and fast but it is not overweighty like the Beats phones which I personally could not live with. For closed back phones the sound is very open and airy and detail levels are high and they suit all genres of music.
Only downsides for me is that the cable is captive, and as it is 9 feet long its a bit cumbersome if you've out and about and the clamping pressure is a little light, if you turn your head quickly or tilt your head down they can slip. Overall though for the money they are hard to beat. 5* recommended.

Random Access Memories [VINYL]
Random Access Memories [VINYL]
Offered by MediaMine

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best sounding vinyl albums I've heard. Recommended., 27 April 2014
Being the best selling vinyl album of 2013, I had to give it a try. For anyone who has a bass heavy audio system this may be a bit OTT, most enjoyable when listened to through accurate,clean sounding headphones like my AKG K550s.

Aerial
Aerial

5.0 out of 5 stars After all these years she produces a masterpiece, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Aerial (Audio CD)
Kate has always known how to write great songs and sing and produce them as well. This album is the pinnacle of her achievements, the voice is no longer as high pitched as of old, it has softened and mellowed with age and now has such a relaxed and surreal quality, magnificent.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7