Profile for seidelin@buyingexperience.com > Reviews

Content by seidelin@buyin...

seidelin@buyingexperience.com (Copenhagen, Denmark)

The War of the Ring: The History of the Lord of the Rings, Part Three (History of the Lord of the Rings; The History of Middle-Eart)
by J. R. R. Tolkien

5.0 out of 5 stars Heroics, splendor and sacrifice, 11 April 2001
The third part of the trilogy is a tale of heroics, splendor and sacrifice. The Ring is finally destroyed, the King returns and the Third age comes to an end. Every time I read this book (and I have read at least a dozen times) it moves me nearly to tears. Tolkien writes about the consequences of evil and what it takes to overcome evil in a way one shouldn't think possible. In our modern world we scorn at the un-ironic praise of "good deeds" and we are used to books describing heroics only from the distance. I Tolkiens universe we get the possibility to read about the necessity of fighting the dark within Man - WITHOUT the ironic distance.
I can not recommend this book (and volume 1 and 2) strong enough. This is an absolutely "Must Read", not just for fans of the fantasy genre, but for everybody who loves a marvellous tale.