Profile for Dont eat the sushi > Reviews

Content by Dont eat the sushi

Dont eat the sushi (Herts UK)

Buddhism is Not What You Think: Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs
Buddhism is Not What You Think: Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs
by Steve Hagen

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very good, 27 Sep 2009
I came across this book by accident, looking at the American Amazon site. Quite a few of the reviews there said Steve Hagen repeated the same thing over and over again, one even said the whole book could have been condensed into just twenty pages. I would say this is missing the point. Anyone who practices some form of Buddhism finds after a while that it is often about re-visiting the same things over and over again always from slightly different perspectives (which our life offers us quite naturally)until we understand. Hagen does this wonderfully. I found the times he dipped into ideas from modern science very interesting. The fact is we really do need to 'wake up' and 'see' as he puts it, but until we have tasted this, it can be hard to understand that it is truly possible and quite different from what we expect. Buddhism is just as Steve puts it...not what you think. If you are at the beginning, this book gives an insight you can trust. If more experienced, it gives valuable incentive to keep up the practice.

Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path
Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path
by Henepola Gunaratana
Price: 10.39

4.0 out of 5 stars a practical guide, 26 Nov 2007
I see this book as a much needed, practical introduction to a buddhist way of life.
The author guides you through each step gently but firmly. Also touching the subject of meditation, the book is akin to a simple handbook. Once read, it can be opened at any page depending on your needs and interest at the time.

Opening the Hand of Thought: Foundations of Zen Buddhist Practice
Opening the Hand of Thought: Foundations of Zen Buddhist Practice
by Kosho Uchiyama
Price: 9.73

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book., 9 Nov 2007
I would recommend this book to anyone interested in Zen and everyday practice. Kosho's approach is relaxed, plain spoken and always pragmatic.
Reading this is as close as it gets to having a teacher with you. It conveys the thoughts and teaching of an man who wants to be sure his message is understood. Kosho's Opening the Hand of Thought will always be within my reach. Ready to be read again and again.