Profile for Alice in Wonderland > Reviews

Content by Alice in Wonde...

Alice in Wonderland (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Think of England
Think of England

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily 5 stars, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Think of England (Kindle Edition)
This book was truly wonderful. I am not usually a fan of historical m/m fiction but this book really surprised me. The amount of historical knowledge that was behind the story, not shoved at the reader, but just inserted to give the book an extra layer of enjoy-ability, was really impressive.
The story was original, with a good bled of plot and character development, and watching the main characters overcome their misconceptions of each other and learn to trust and care for each other was really heart warming (and hot!)

Something in the Way He Needs (Family Series Book 1)
Something in the Way He Needs (Family Series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Really Doesn't Work, 1 Sept. 2013
This book really does not work. The author plays with a dom/sub relationship, only instead of pulling it off we end up with a seriously messed up controlling relationship, with several incidents of domestic abuse.
There is not enough plot to drive this book, instead moving from one incident of jealousy to another. The characters are transparent and unrealistic, Daniel is this perfect man, amazing at everything, and so beautiful he has to wear baggy clothes to stop everyone hitting on him (apparently even with their partners standing right by). Really?? Ash supposedly falls in love with him (I mean who could not not) but yet uses his love to excuse one of the coldest and most abusive scenes I've read.

I was really wanting to like this author, hoping to find another author who's works I can follow, so this book was a sad disappointment.

Chocolat: Seductive Recipes for Bakes, Desserts, Truffles and Other Treats
Chocolat: Seductive Recipes for Bakes, Desserts, Truffles and Other Treats
by Eric Lanlard

5.0 out of 5 stars Chocolat: My new favourite cook book, 20 May 2013
First reviewed for The Rainy Day Look Book

A new book by french trained Master Patisser Eric Lanlard, containing over a hundred chocolate focused recipes. The book starts off with an informational section, with "A Brief History of Chocolate", "Know your Chocolate" and "Working with chocolate" before moving on to "From the Bakery", "Desserts and Puddings", "Truffles and Treats" and "Drinks, Spreads and Sauces".
As one would probably expect, this is not a book for complete beginners and does contain some more tricky recipes (as well as classics such as "Devilish Chocolate Brownies"), but every recipe is written out clearly with simple step by step instructions so that less confident cooks can follow them without any problems. Almost every recipe comes with a picture, and recipes involving several processes often have step by step pictures to help you see what you are doing.

Some must try recipes from the book are (for me) "Salted butter caramel cake", a rich chocolatey cake with layers of crunchy salted butter caramel buscuits in it; "Double-baked chocolate meringue brownie", simply what the title says but oh so good; "Soft chocolate butter toffee", simple to make and taste great. I could go on and list almost every recipe in this book, missing out only those which include nuts (a big no for me), but that wouldn't be too many!

Five Stars, definately worth buying.

The Shadow Of The Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Series Book 1)
The Shadow Of The Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 16 July 2012
I had been advised to read this book by family and friends since it came out, but I always was reading another book or about to start this book or that book. Years later, arranging a trip to barcellona, I remember this book and decided to finally give it a go. And Wow. This book is utterly magical. I was instantly trasported to Barcellona 50 or so years ago, a Barcellona full of magic and mystery, villians and heroes, true love and heartbreak, and books. Lots and lots of magical books. I could not bare to put the book down or to stop reading and leave this world that Zafon so expertly weaves for a minute.

A truely excellent read.

The Book of Summers
The Book of Summers

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 13 Jun. 2012
The Book of summers follows Beth, an average londoner, working in an art musuem, living in a shared house in Mile End. Then one day her father brings her a package, and the perfect life she has woven for herself starts to unravel and she is sucked back into her past, her childhood in Devon, and her magnificent summers in Hungary.

The book started off a bit slow, and at times I thought about putting it down and finding something more fast paced to read, but yet I couldnt manage it. From the first, there is an essence of magic in this book that captures you and makes you keep reading; It makes London and Devon seem beautiful, and Hungary more than just another country, almost another world, full of life and possibility and magnificent beauty. Hall's description is brilliant, even if you have never been there (eg Hungary) she describes the scene so clearly that you feel as if you are there.

The plot is never fast paced, its quite a slow and compentplative book, though the summers in Hungary are much more alive than the other settings in the book, yet the underlying sense of a great tragedy coming up keeps you reading till the very end. When I finished the book I felt very disappointed, I wanted more of this world, I didn't want to leave it so soon. But also you feel at peace, the ending is the perfect finish for a magical book.

4 and half stars, definately will be recommending it to my friends.

A Night Like This: The Smythe-Smith Quartet: Book Two
A Night Like This: The Smythe-Smith Quartet: Book Two

3.0 out of 5 stars A Night Like This..., 30 May 2012
This is the second book in the Smythe- Smith Quartet by Julia Quinn, following Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet), where we were first introduced to the protagonists of this book. Daniel, Earl of Winstead, has just returned to England from exile in Europe, after a drunken duel caused him to lame and almost kill a friend, and incur the fury of his powerful father. Anne Wynters is a governess to one of the many branches of the Smythe-Smith family, but she also has a secret and knows what it is like to be afraid. A Night Like This, explores their growing relationship as circumstances, and madmen, try to keep them apart.

I enjoyed this book. Like Just like Heaven, it still was not up to the high standards as some of Quinn's earlier books, but I still found myself engrossed, despite the missing spark. There were several times I found myself laughing out-loud at Quinn's humorous and lightning paced dialougue, especially at the scenes involving Annes charges, the young Smythe-Smiths. I found myself liking Daniel some more than Anne, whose character was quite conflicting at times, but my favourite character was Hugh Prentice, the man who Daniel shot. After the end of the book, I found myself very much hoping that he would be the hero of the next book of the Smythe- Smith quartet.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2012 9:04 AM BST

The Song of Achilles
The Song of Achilles

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another retelling..., 20 May 2012
This book can be read and enjoyed however much knowledge of classical Greece you have. While all the characers are drawn from Greek myths and epics (in particular Iliad), they are new versions of these characters, Miller gives them a new life, and even someone who has never heard of Achilles or Odyesseus would become entraced by Miller's characterisation of them.
The story is an ageless one, of everlasting and complete love between two people. Told by Patroclus, the story follow the perfect son, Achilles, and watch how he changes and grows from a loving young boy, into a ruthless warrior, and fufills his destiny as the best of the greeks.

Miller states that this book took her 10 years to write and I can see why. The amount of historic and mythological detail in this book is incredible. While it never feels like you are being given a history lesson, the book is full of intresting information like the different greek Gods, different sacrifices, Kings and Heros, medicine, education... The list goes on and on. Miller expertly weaves it into the tale, only ever using it to enhance, rather than some author's practice of 'look what I know'.

I could not put this book down. Once I started reading it, I just wanted more and more of this world Miller created, where Gods walk among the earth, and interfere with the lives of mortals, a world of heros and destinies. A world more human and relatable than the world that Homer portrays. An excellant read.

Care of Wooden Floors
Care of Wooden Floors

4.0 out of 5 stars The Tell-Tale Stain, 18 May 2012
I really enjoyed this book. It was well written, with very believable characters, and a fast moving humourous plot. The way Oskar's letters were phrased reminded me very much of letters I would swap with possible au pair families, Wiles has obviously done his research both with this and the City where Oskar's appartment was in, and used this to build up Oskar's character extremely well (No two-dimensional character was he). What I liked best about the book was no matter haw ludicrous the plot became, you always believed in it, and putting your self in the narrators possition, you could imagine it very easily happening to you.
Highly enjoyable read, would definately recommend to a friend.

Painter of Silence
Painter of Silence

5.0 out of 5 stars A Voice for the Silent, 21 April 2012
Set in the early 1950s, in a Romainia still recovering from a brutal war and under communist rule, Painter of Silence follows Safta, once the daughter of a powerful business man, living in a great house where powerful men would come and visit, now a nurse with a bed in an overcrowded hostel, and Augustin, a deaf mute, son of Safta's famiy's cook and a missing father. The book explores their past together, and the events that leads them to be seperated and then reunited in a hospital in the crowded city of Iasi

Romania is a not often described country, and Harding describes it in such an evocative haunting way that it captivates and stays with you long after you finish the book. Her vast range of characters each with their own strongly developed back story and Harding's expert use of time brings the story alive and mays it a joy to read. I cannot emphaise enough what a treasure this book is, you become completely absorbed into Harding's world and never want it to end. Brilliant.

5 stars

The Snow Child
The Snow Child

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 18 April 2012
This review is from: The Snow Child (Kindle Edition)
A really magical tale. I delayed in buying this book, thinking that perhaps it wasn't to my liking or that it will be boring. I was very wrong. The book is more a fairy tale for adults, it is a tale about survival, about love and friendship, about nature and how it can be harsh cold and beautiful, yet nuturing and life giving at the same time. Ivey's descriptions of Alaska in the 1920 and Mabel and Jacks attempts to tame a small section of it in order to survive, is extremly detailed and evocative, I truely felt as if I was there with them. A brilliant book, I am so glad I read- It will stay with me for a long time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8