Profile for Adam > Reviews

Content by Adam

Adam (Midlands, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Borat: Cultural Learnings Of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sacha Baron Cohen
Offered by gowingsstoreltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Hairy chested man WLTM a woman with plough experience, 7 Feb 2007
This film gives a tremendous insight into a backward nation of people who kiss their sister in an intimate way, keep cows in their living room and drive cars pulled by horses - America we love you.

Fujitsu Wireless Optical Mouse MB - Mouse - optical - 3 button(s) - wireless - RF - USB wireless receiver - black, silver

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know about you but I hate laptop touchpads., 6 Feb 2007
I wanted a compact optical mouse that would match my Fujitsu Siemens laptop as I can never get on with the touchpads they put on those things. This is great, it's small but not too tiny to hold and is very precise - you don't have to worry too much about the surface that you put it on, a magazine will do for instance, as there is no ball mechanism to clog. If you want a mouse that is portable or want something that would be ideal for children to use on a home computer then this is worth buying. What really makes this a pleasure to use is the fact that it is wireless - I've used notebook mice before that have had really annoying short cables. This is well screwed together and everything from the packaging to the USB wireless unit feels of very good quality.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop - superb when combined with Vista, 6 Feb 2007
I bought this recently to replace an ageing A series laptop that I've had for 5 years - it's been a faithful friend but desperately needed replacing to run modern software. The Pa1510 is in a different league. It's nice to be able to buy a computer magazine and actually be able to try the software on the free disks! I've loaded Office 2007 on there and it copes effortlessly with having large Excel and Word documents open at the same time - as well as other things such as anti-virus and firewall programs too. I've got this connected to my wireless router and the built in wireless feature seems to have a good range. The 120Gb of storage is more than adequate for my needs and is actually more than my 2 year old desktop has! The Dual Core AMD processor seems to run much cooler than my previous Pentium M, and works well with the ATI graphics. You probably wouldn't want to try and play the latest 3D games on it but I have tried an older version of Microsoft's Flight Simulator and been impressed with the results. I haven't had a go at video editing yet although there are ports to connect a camcorder so if that is something you're interested in that is catered for too. There's a DVD rewriter which also copies CDs (and it means you can use it as a portable DVD player if you're going on holiday or something). I can't believe what this laptop will do for the money. If you want to use mainly business programs and some games too, and be able to copy and watch DVDs (the built in speakers are surprisingly powerful) and use it wirelessly then this is perfect. You don't have to compromise on quality, this is really well made and the keyboard seems positive and comfortable even after long periods.

I really love the Vista operating system, I'm still exploring the interface but there are so many new features that I'm sure you'll love it. If you've been impressed by Mac operating systems (I've got a Mac at home but need a PC for work too) then you'll feel at home with this - the 'ribbon' interface is really intuitive and looks great. The fact that this is reputed to be Microsoft's most secure OS in a while can only be a good thing too. If you've never tried a Fujitsu Siemens product before then give it a go - in my experience the quality and performance of their products is on a par with anything I've seen from Dell or HP.

Toast 7 Titanium
Toast 7 Titanium

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple interface yet has loads of options., 6 Feb 2007
This review is from: Toast 7 Titanium (CD-ROM)
I've tried a few different options for copying media files on my Mac including a free downloaded program which was ok but I never really got to grips with it. Toast 7 impressed me when I saw it on a friend's machine - he was simply using it to make a slideshow and I really liked the interface.

There are loads of different options - you can encrypt data and convert files to different formats for instance, and in my experience the program has been very stable.

I would recommend you try this software if you want to use it mainly for copying CDs and your DVDs but want the flexibility to be able to do more when you are ready.

The Playmaker
The Playmaker
by Thomas Keneally

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly researched and vividly brings to life the settlement of Australia., 29 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Playmaker (Paperback)
I love this book. I'm biased because I wrote my dissertaion on this and other documents surrounding the events depicted in the book. One of the great pleasures for me was being able to research into the real lives of many of the characters in The Playmaker. It is possible to download the journal of Watkin Tench, Ralph Clark's surviving journals have been published and there seems to be a resurgence of interest in the early years of transportation to Australia. (There was a recently televised mini series about the exceptional story of Mary 'Dabby' Bryant too). Also worth checking out are Timberlake Wertenbaker's Our Country's Good, a play inspired by this book, and The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes which is a tremendously readable historical account of the Australian transportation saga.

All of the contemporary prejudices about class and race are carefully delineated and Keneally is frequently funny and profound in creating this world using his 'absolute' palette of oppositional adjectives which jar the senses. Instead of binary white and black, good and bad stereotypes we are forced to consider the intervening and imprecise reality of what it means to be human.

On a more personal level I fell absolutely in love (no graduated shades here) with an astonishingly beautiful person while reading this for the first time. If possible I would recommend that you try and do the same. Don't be in too much of a hurry to get to the end, the journey is amazing - tragic, painful and yet somehow complete with charm and wonder.

Apple iWork 06 (Mac)
Apple iWork 06 (Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking easy to use wordprocessor and photo package, 29 Nov 2006
This review is from: Apple iWork 06 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I'll be honest, I've mainly used Pages2 as I put together a regular pamphlet for a local pub. It's great for this kind of task where you want to easily assemble photos and text - the supplied templates are particularly rewarding here and enable a really professional result to be produced without any hassle. As ever there will inevitably be comparisons with Word, which I use regularly at work. Word is fine but at home I prefer this, as it integrates image handling far more seamlessly. If you want to get more complicated that's possible too but even a normally complex task like a mailmerge is simple and straightforward (I did a bit of experimenting the other day and had one up and running in a few minutes). If you're lucky enough to own a Mac you will appreciate the typical thought that has gone in to making the interface as intuitive and stylish as ever. I'd definitely recommend this software for the recreational/semi-serious home user who wants to quickly produce documents with visual flair.

LEGO Star Wars (PS2)
LEGO Star Wars (PS2)
Offered by Click4entertainment Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, fun and just plain brilliant., 23 Nov 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars (PS2) (Video Game)
Any Star Wars fan will appreciate the humour and thought that has gone into this game. Young and old will enjoy this - it is one of those games where nothing is too difficult and you can concentrate on having a good time exploring the game. The familiar characters, landscapes and scenarios rendered in Lego blocks will make you smile. Even if you think you're too old to be playing a game like this believe me you aren't - having said that it is just possible that children might like a go too if you'll only let them have the opportunity!

Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1 [DVD]
Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Shatner

5.0 out of 5 stars Please Santa I want this for Christmas., 23 Nov 2006
I've been watching the re-runs on BBC2 at the weekends and I've really been enjoying them - William Shatners acting is something else (it's almost as good as his singing). I've seen these in the shops and the packaging is great and really ties in with the feel of the show - I've got all the Deep Space 9 box sets and they've done a similarly good theming job on them. These sets are now extremely good value if you consider you're getting a whole series for around £35. The Original Series is a classic and I shall certainly be getting these box sets as soon as I can.

Futurama: Complete Seasons 1 - 4 [DVD]
Futurama: Complete Seasons 1 - 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Billy West

5.0 out of 5 stars Bite my shiny metal ass. Genius!, 23 Nov 2006
This is a great show, made by the same creative crew who made the Simpsons. In my opinion this is far funnier and well worth the investment. I don't have this particular complete box set so I don't know what that looks like but I do have each of the series individually. I've watched all of the episodes twice and I still look forward to putting an episode on occasionally - some of the episodes feature the voices of the Star Trek cast as well and they are good fun. How they got away with some of the dialogue I have no idea and Bender is a constant source of education in expressing yourself informatively. For a humorous look at the future you can't go wrong here. It is based on a true story apparently.

Epson Stylus DX4000 Multifunction Printer
Epson Stylus DX4000 Multifunction Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb all rounder - much better quality print than the norm., 23 Nov 2006
I purchased the DX4000 after having seen a friends old CX3600 model (this is basically a much updated version of that) and seen some of the scans and prints he'd done on that. To be honest the photo output is very good rather than excellent when compared with a dedicated photo printer but when you take into account the price and the fact that this can scan and photocopy and print standard documents quietly and quickly it is brilliant value. If you want a machine that can do everything - I particularly like the fact that you can photocopy independently without having to turn the computer on - then this really has to be worth serious consideration. Something else worth looking into is the price of inks. While there are cheaper models out there, noticeably Lexmark, their ink prices are extortionate and the quality of print is never quite the same either. With this printer there are individual inks which can be replaced so it saves wastage and there are some extremely good deals available online.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2008 11:08 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2