ARRAY(0xb2233e4c)

Profile for Seren Ade > Reviews

Content by Seren Ade
Top Reviewer Ranking: 17

Seren Ade (UK)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Scalextric QuickBuild C1301 Demolition Derby 1:32 Scale Race Set
Scalextric QuickBuild C1301 Demolition Derby 1:32 Scale Race Set
Offered by Toy Arena
Price: 68.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of (flawed) fun, 20 Feb 2014
I received this free through the Amazon Vine review programme.

This had been one of my most highly prized review freebies - because it seemed so perfectly adapted to my young nephew. He loves building things. He loves Lego. He loves cars. He loves playing with his dad, who has been doing the midweek living in the City and commuting back home to the family at the weekend bit for the last several months after his job changed.

The principles involved in this set are great: the usual Scalextric set, combined with a race to destruction.

The practice is less so.

I query the 4+ age rating on this set. It doesn't seem to be purely a safety rating, but rather a recommendation in relation to the ideal user age.

In my view, 4 is too young. I've worked with children aged from 3 months to 11 years) part-time/holidays/volunteering for coming up for 20 years. In my view 6-7 is a more realistic age range as a start-age recommendation for this set. The pieces are fiddly and fall apart far too easily for younger users. My 4 year old nephew, who is quite dexterous, gentle and has been taught to treat his toys with respect found it really upsetting that 'his' car would just fall apart in his hands. He can build quite happily with Lego - which he loves - and didn't understand why this wasn't staying together for him.

My adult brothers, however, found playing with this highly amusing - and derived great satisfaction out of reducing one another's vehicles to pieces.

Finish Dishwasher Cleaner Dual Action Twin Pack (2 x 250ml)
Finish Dishwasher Cleaner Dual Action Twin Pack (2 x 250ml)
Price: 6.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a good job, when used regularly, 20 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received these free through the Amazon Vine review programme.

And if I'm truthful, felt a little bit guilty about doing so: we use these on a regular basis. Though, to be fair, had they not been supplied to Amazon as review freebies, I would almost certainly never have thought about reviewing them!

We use several different kinds of dishwasher tablets: Fairy capsules, Finish Powerball tablets and Finish Quantum. All work well, and leave dishes shiny for weeks on end. You get the occasional blip - for instance WHY do so many dishwashers grossly underestimate the amount of rinse aid that's needed such that if you don't top it up frequently you get a bad wash where nasty residue is left all over the surface of washed items BEFORE the rinse aid light comes on???! (I haven't yet encountered a dishwasher that gives the rinse aid warning at the right time!) - but generally-speaking everything works nicely for weeks. And then suddenly the dishwasher smells stale when you open it.

These dishwasher cleaning doses improve the smell of our dishwasher, and (used in conjunction with good-quality cleaning products) seem to keep it working well. We live in a hard water area, so limescale is a problem... yet our Miele dishwasher is still going strong (touch wood!) at around 9 years after purchase. The product is very easy to use: take off lid, invert the bottle and put it in the bottom of an empty dishwasher for one reasonably hot wash cycle.

Veet Warm Wax Microwavable Jar - Essential Oils - 250 ml
Veet Warm Wax Microwavable Jar - Essential Oils - 250 ml
Price: 5.23

3.0 out of 5 stars An expensive, chemically sugaring set, 20 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received this free as a review item through Amazon Vine

I don't dislike this product per se. It's simple enough to use. It works quite well and can be rather more effective, once you have the knack, than cold waxing e.g. using strips. The wooden spatula is handy for keeping an eye on the temperature of the wax.

However, I'm not keen on the scent - which I found rather cloying - or the price point at which this is expected to retail. The objection I have to the price is that this is basically a scented sugaring set.

Homemade sugaring wax is cheap, easy to make and natural - and it's not hard to add a few drops of a favourite essential oil to make it smell nice.

Veet Face Precision Wax and Care Cream 10 ml
Veet Face Precision Wax and Care Cream 10 ml
Price: 5.65

1.0 out of 5 stars Yuck, 20 Feb 2014
I received this free through the Amazon Vine review programme.

That price was still too much.

This is a horrible, horrible product. It seems simple enough to use - heat the tube by sticking it in hot water, apply where wanted using the precision-shaped tube, apply a cloth strip... et voila!

Exactly nothing happens. Except you put some nasty, sticky goo on your face.

Thankfully, a restricted amount of nasty, sticky goo - and anything that didn't come off with the strips does wash off readily. Nice smelling and feeling after care lotion, but since exactly nothing happens with the wax this is completely redundant.

Veet EasyGrip Ready-to-Use Wax Strips for Normal Skin 40 Pack + 4 Perfect Finish Wipes
Price: 5.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Ripping good fun, 20 Feb 2014
I received these free through the Amazon Vine programme

These wax strips work reasonably well. They're easy to use, especially if you've warmed them a little in your hands first, and do a good job of removing unwanted hairs.

There is a bit of pain involved and I find that these leave me with some reddening to my skin (usually dissipated within 24 hours). I don't usually use Veet waxing strips, and would typically select a sensitive skin product, so I'm not certain whether the redness is due to skin sensitivity (fragrance being one of the most common irritants). I'd be willing to try these again, but would probably buy the sensitive skin version.

AURAGLOW 5w COB LED GU10 Light Bulb, Warm White, 50w EQV - RETROFIT
AURAGLOW 5w COB LED GU10 Light Bulb, Warm White, 50w EQV - RETROFIT
Offered by Safield Dist. Ltd
Price: 27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid, reliable halogen replacement, 20 Feb 2014
I received this free through the Amazon Vine review programme.

This is a decent enough LED halogen replacement bulb - and the 5w approximation to 50w output makes it one of the brighter LED bulbs available. The bulb fits in precisely the same way as halogens (except once up, it won't need replacing for years!), and switches on instantly, emitting a decently yellowish light. It's nice that in the last few years LED halogen replacements have moved from being virtually only available in the rather stark, blueish 'cool white' to slightly more yellowish hues, more akin to the bulbs they have been designed to replace.

The RRP on this LED is fearsome, but there seem to be regular and significant reductions, bringing the cost down to a point where the initial slightly high outlay can be recouped within a couple of years of purchase. I would certainly consider buying these.

Philips Master LED GU10 Spot 4W (35W replacement) Dimmable, Warm White
Philips Master LED GU10 Spot 4W (35W replacement) Dimmable, Warm White
Price: 18.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Much more expensive than other LED brands, 20 Feb 2014
I received this free through the Amazon Vine review programme

I can honestly say that I would not have paid this much for a single lightbulb, LED or otherwise. I have replaced lots of lightbulbs in my home with LEDs - both dimmable and non-dimmable varieties and over the last couple of years have noticed clear improvements in the technologies.

The warm white colour of this bulb isn't as warm as the light output by bulbs I had purchased from another brand, but is noticeably on the yellowey side of the spectrum. It's a decent bulb and over a few years would pay for itself (had I purchased it).

However, there are less expensive LED halogen replacements (including dimmable ones) on the market. These too switch on immediately, generate warmish white light at roughly comparable levels to traditional halogen bulbs, yet use far less power. The only significant difference I can find between this bulb and ones costing less than half the price is in terms of projected lifespan. The Philips bulbs are rated for around 25 years of life, whilst my cheaper bulbs are rated for around 20 years. Given the rapid improvements being made in this area of technology, I think I'll stick with buying the less expensive bulbs for now.

Finish Quantum Lemon Sparkle 2 x Pack of 40 (80 Dishwasher Tablets)
Finish Quantum Lemon Sparkle 2 x Pack of 40 (80 Dishwasher Tablets)
Offered by WebBasket
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality wash and pleasant scent, 20 Feb 2014
I received these free from the Amazon Vine review programme

These lemon-scented Finish Quantum dishwasher tablets are very good things. The tablets leave dishes clean, and glassware streak-free. The tablets come in a handy, resealable storage bag. Each tablet contains the detergent inside a soluble protective layer, so there's no hassle at all involved in using these.

I'm never entirely convinced that the quality of the cleaning given by Finish Quantum is significantly better than that given by regular Finish Powerball tablets. However, I do prefer the neatness of the soluble casing and the fact that with the Quantum tablets I don't ever end up with chalky residue on my hands.

NUK Multi Drying Rack System for Baby Bottles (White/ Grey)
NUK Multi Drying Rack System for Baby Bottles (White/ Grey)
Price: 11.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking, but gimmicky, 20 Feb 2014
I received this free through the Amazon Vine review programme

This drying rack is a reasonably nice thing. It's well-made, easy to set up and put into use. However, as cute and quirky as it is, it's not entirely without fault. Arguably, the biggest drawback to this is that this purportedly space-saving gadget actually takes up quite a lot of room. The second issue affecting this item is that it is, quite simply, not necessary.

As nice an idea as this is, it is underlyingly a fairly sizeable item that isn't really needed as part of the battalion of items which accompany a new baby.

Philips Disney 1 Watt Philips Disney CandleLights 1 Minnie Mouse - White
Philips Disney 1 Watt Philips Disney CandleLights 1 Minnie Mouse - White
Price: 11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars The price point and charging method are silly, 20 Feb 2014
I received this free through the Amazon Vine review programme

I have previously owned several different sets of Philips rechargeable candle lights. This children's version is by some significant distance the least impressive. The price point for a single night light candle is rather high (presumably dictated to some degree by the licensed used of Disney images) - particularly when compared to the regular Philips candle lights...

Which come in sets of 2 (for the recent, plastic incarnations, or 3 for the rather better-looking glass versions) and include a charging system.

The night light is pretty and child-safe, but the charge doesn't last long, making the need to repeatedly faff about with USB charging rather irksome.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20