Profile for Bigfoot > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim
Price: 1.49

3.0 out of 5 stars It starts like a blood and guts cheap detective story but that ..., 17 July 2014
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Kindle Edition)
It starts like a blood and guts cheap detective story but that lasts for just a few pages. Then it gets into the real story and off we go. I always know that with books like this I am going to have to live with far fetched but after 50% it gets preposterous. Anyway, still a good read.
Having read some good books recently where I have been sure the authors have done some serious research, I found this one to be anything but researched in as much as scene setting is inaccurate. Now Mr Hayes, I'm sorry to disappoint you but there is no way that extremely high and low tides at Bodrum, Turkey should be in this story. Impossible! Bodrum is on the Med or an extension of the Med as are the Aegean and Adriatic. There are barely any tides to speak of in the Med and at Bodrum the tide is just about non existent.
Started well and went downhill.

An Officer and a Spy
An Officer and a Spy
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best work by Robert Harris by far, 10 July 2014
The best work by Robert Harris by far. This book leaves me a little stunned because it centres on Dreyfus but brings in the people who not only believed in him but in justice and morality with such skill. Dreyfus is there by name but little is said about him. Yes, it's a novel but brings us the story of Dreyfus but more importantly, those that were prepared to stand up for him and not give up in the search for justice at great personal sacrifice.
The book starts quite slowly but is setting out what we need to know about the conniving lives of a host of anti semitic senior army officers.
I have been fortunate to read two magnificent books this year. This one and Lonesome Dove. Both have been so rewarding.

The Fallen Angel
The Fallen Angel
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Usual Silva, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Fallen Angel (Kindle Edition)
Almost worth a gold!
The usual well written and well paced thriller come mystery. Have enjoyed all that I have read and that brings me to another mystery. Why is it that we can get only a few of D Silva's book on Kindle? Anyone know?

Capital Spice: 21 Indian Restaurant Chefs . More Than 100 Stunning Recipes
Capital Spice: 21 Indian Restaurant Chefs . More Than 100 Stunning Recipes
by Chrissie Walker
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A winner, 22 Mar 2014
Terrific book and have already used 5 of the recipes. There's nothing too complicated and plenty of very simple but flavorsome stuff here. I have already picked out the dessert for my next curry dinner party and it's Vivek Singh's saffron poached pears. I like dishes that can be done the day before to take some of the pressure off!
One or two negatives but nothing important and nothing that can't be answered by a quick search on the internet. One in particular was a Masala that in certain areas and outside the UK may be difficult to find. If you can't find it; how do you make it?
This is a book that will in a few years be well thumbed and splattered with spots of gravy. So pleased I made this choice. 5 stars all the way.

Chesapeake
Chesapeake
by James A. Michener
Price: 13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I want to read more Michener but!, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Chesapeake (Paperback)
Bought this for my wife in paperback having read it myself many years ago. Only complaint was that the type is so small that in poor light such as a bedside light it's an impossibility to read. I want to read more Michener including The Source and Alaska but none of his books seem to be available for Kindle. Why on earth not? I'm certainly not buying a book that's hard to read.
James Michener is dead but his books are very much a tribute to his life as a fine author. I suppose it's his family and/or publishers that have taken the unfortunate decision to refuse Kindle.

Hostess Alficionado small hot tray
Hostess Alficionado small hot tray
Price: 29.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value product, 18 Jan 2014
Originally looking at the candle warmers but thought 15 to 18 was a bit rich for what they are. I saw these at 32 but no stock so went to J Lewis site. 28 but no stock. Went back to Amazon and they were in stock and 28. I was not sure whether to order the big one or two small but the two small ones offer better flexibility. One on the table and another plugged in by the stove waiting for food to go on it. Two people eating or six etc etc.
They are obviously made to a high specification and are both heavy and robust. I'm as pleased as punch with them and feel sure they will be good for many years. Two small warmers is ideal and we have proven already that one is usually good enough for dinner for two and 2 is more than adequate for 6.
i have two small negative comments but not enough to affect my 5*.. 1. Polished stainless would be better and looks smarter. 2. They stay hot for long enough to finish a meal but they don't cool uniformly. They are still very warm in the middle but very cool at the ends after about 45/50 minutes. Most dishes would be empty by then but it's just a minor point.
Very pleased with this Hostess product.

DeLonghi Espresso eco 310 black
DeLonghi Espresso eco 310 black
Offered by T S S
Price: 175.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: DeLonghi Espresso eco 310 black
A bought one of these some time ago when my faithful old Saeco bean to cup machine was on it's way out. I was really disappointed in the replacement and so got Saeco out of the shed and found that I could do a repair myself. It's second life has now expired so out with the cheap replacement again. It really is not a nice machine to use and that's not because i am used to a bean to cup job.
What can I say? It makes a hellish vibrating sound as if it's going to fall to pieces. It's not possible to tell which is the UP side on the drip tray and it's a question of making a cup of coffee to find out. If the coffee cup starts moving across the tray because the vibration is causing it to do so then it's hard luck if you have taken eyes away. Drip tray full of coffee and down the side of the cup. Fancy having to stand there with finger on cup and the other pressing down on the machine to try to stop the noise.
When switching the machine on for the water to heat it starts to leak through so if putting in the coffee filter/container too early before the start button is pressed the coffee will be all wet and sloshy before the coffee making process starts.
The instructions do say not to overload the coffee container/filter or an even flow of coffee will not be obtained. Well, it's a very fine point indeed as to what is too much or too little. Very slightly too much and the coffee making process takes forever and the end product is strong but has no creme. Too little and it's very quick but also no creme.
The coffee comes out from a nozzle in two streams so using the double measure device it should be possible to make two expressos. Oh no, first it will flow from the right hand side and just drip from the left. A few second later it may flow vice versa. It's impossible to make two expressos simultaneously.
Not a good machine by any stretch of the imagination.

Circulon Infinite Hard Anodised Covered Chef's Pan - 26 cm
Circulon Infinite Hard Anodised Covered Chef's Pan - 26 cm
Offered by Harts Of Stur
Price: 76.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The usual Meyer quality, 10 Jan 2013
Bought this as a gift for my son because when he comes to stay (and cook) this is the first pan he aims for out of my Meyer Circulon collection. He would boil an egg in it if I allowed it. Anyway, what a success it has been and I know it will be the start of a 6 pan set.
It's not just the cooking that's a joy with this product but the cleaning. Whether it's food spilled down the outside of the pan or grease splashes from another pan when working on a crowded hob, washing away the muck is so easy; even when burned on.
I have been using Meyer for some 14 years now and the Circulon is in its 3rd year.
Terrific product and when I compare it to the one Le Creuset product that I have, a stainless steel sauté pan, it's no contest.

Kitchen Craft Mandoline Cutter- gift boxed
Kitchen Craft Mandoline Cutter- gift boxed
Price: 21.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Learn by mistakes., 10 Jan 2013
I must look at the illustration. Do 500 lines and don't forget. My own fault I suppose but when I realised my mistake it was too late. Common sense says that the blade of a mandolin should be at an angle of facilitate easy slicing. Those froggies knew what they were doing with the guillotine. First effort to slice involved half a large onion into thin slices for salad. By the time I had gone through half the half onion the remainder had gone soft and was breaking up due to the force needed to get it past the blade. The result was that I got half an onion out of a whole onion.

Marware Eco-Flip Genuine Leather Cover for Kindle, Pink (fits Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle and Kindle Touch)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 23 Nov 2012
You would think that if a product is designed in a particular way then it would be possible to use in that way? Not this one. It looks like a a photo frame or "A" frame ie it being possible to open it and place it on a surface open and ready to read Kindle. No, it can't be done unless the surface is cloth and there is something for the bottom edges to grip. On a normal table, airline seat table, desk or any other shiny surface it will just collapse because there is nothing to hold the two bottom edges together. Surely it would not have taken too much thought. Obviously, the people at Marware just thought to themselves: "Oh, this'll do, let's get it on the market today rather than tomorrow". Stuff like this get's turned out for a a quid a pop in China (or less) so we should expect someone to offer a product that does what it looks like it is meant to do.

Page: 1 | 2