Profile for JulieValighton? > Reviews

Content by JulieValighton?

JulieValighton?

Page: 1 | 2
FLOOD! (SNOW TRILOGY Book 3)
FLOOD! (SNOW TRILOGY Book 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars Flood! What flood?, 11 Jan. 2015
What a huge let down, having loved Snow! and the subsequent Thaw!, I was eagerly anticipating Flood! What can I say...the flood is barely mentioned. The pivotal plot is almost totally focussed on the recovery of gold bullion yet ironically the logistics of actually accessing said gold through floodwaters is barely worth a mention. The so- called machiavellian machinations were bordering on farcical, with M16 appearing more like Keystone cops! The random graphic sex scenes were levered into the story almost as a box checking exercise, with no bearing on the story whatsoever...and a bondage/prostitution room in a top secret government dugout?? Highly risable...maybe in the author's frustrated imagination! With barely a mention of actual floods and flooding, and characters changing personalities and morals on a whim. Seriously, it's as if a sexually frustrated teenage boy has hijacked the author's computer and submitted this novel under his name. Such a shame. I see another sequel is under way too...I'll be giving it a miss!

Sinema 2: Sympathy for the Devil
Sinema 2: Sympathy for the Devil

5.0 out of 5 stars HAN-tastic!, 27 Feb. 2013
Just back from my second trip with Han and what a ride! This time round Han is seeking his 'Yang' to match his 'Yin' of the Haydon massacre and we discover more about what makes Han so....well, Han.

However this time he's taken on a vigilante role, and what with a budding romance, not to mention his "bromance" with his best buddy Perry, he's a man on a mission and nothing's going to stop him... even with an increasing band of pursuers hot on his tail.

As with the first book, I'm left with the vaguely uncomfortable feeling that despite Han's undeniably evil nature (or maybe, because of?) I really like him!

The Key to Erebus (Les Corbeaux: The French Vampire Legend Book 1)
The Key to Erebus (Les Corbeaux: The French Vampire Legend Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars More please!, 17 Feb. 2013
Although I'm sure i'm not the 'target audience', I thought this was a cracking read with characters you can empathise with. It doesn't take itself too seriously with plenty of light-hearted nods to other books/films in this genre, with plenty of humour and will they/won't they moments, it kept me entertained to the end. My only complaint.......Don't leave us hanging! When's the sequel?

Sinema: The Northumberland Massacre
Sinema: The Northumberland Massacre

5.0 out of 5 stars Just WOW!, 15 Jan. 2013
I think I have possibly had the creepiest Christmas ever.....I read this book during the Christmas week, whilst staying in a remote holiday cottage on the outskirts of a tiny village near Rothbury, Northumberland and succeeded in making myself a nervous wreck!

Hannibal Whitman is a mass serial killer on a mission, only his killing fields of choice are in a remote village near Rothbury during the Christmas week!

See my point?

Superbly descriptive and unbelievably imaginatively gruesome writing style that had me gripped from the start and had me checking (and double checking) the locks on the door.

But what really messed with my head is the fact that Hannibal Whitman (mass serial killer aside) is almost a nice guy? Am I bad?

Just about to start Sinema 2.....watch this space

With Love at Christmas
With Love at Christmas

3.0 out of 5 stars change the family!, 20 Dec. 2012
Now, I LOVE a good Christmassy book, and this book held so much potential, as it didn't focus totally on the usual 'chick flick festive feelgood' factor. It's wildly funny in places and desperately sad in others. BUT.....for me, I found myself becoming ever more irratated by her awful family.

A 26 year old son still living at home with no job or inclination to look for one, who refuses to help his family in any way, shape or form, is in my opinion, not funny. The daughter also annoyed me with her lackadaisical attitude to parenting whilst treating her own parents in a mostly appalling manner. Juliet's mother Rita, who was obviously in need of medical help but this fact was mostly ignored....presumably because it's Christmas? Then we have her father Frank, a great character who suffers an awful tragedy....but never mind have a mince pie! And then when we get to the Big Day itself, we have some additional superfluous vile characters pop up in the form of a female friend of her son, with her own ghastly teenagers. By this point, I was practically yelling at Juliet "For Heaven's sake, throw them out!"

I stuck with this book, and it WAS funny. But maybe too many character flaws? Whilst it's great to read a Christmas story that is more than the usual "oh isn't everything perfect" scenario, for me, when the main character becomes little more than a human doormat, it loses some festive twinkle.

Plague
Plague

5.0 out of 5 stars Plague-tastic!, 16 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Plague (Kindle Edition)
A superb read! For a story that is set in just one house, with only one family, it is a truely intense read. I really felt for the family, and boy did I feel like I'd been put through an emotional wringer afterwards. It was scary in its plausibility and a story that will stay with me for a while too. But PLEASE now write a sequel......

Animal Kingdom: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel
Animal Kingdom: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Gruesome Zoo-some!, 7 Mar. 2012
My 2nd Iain Rob Wright book and I loved this!

Picture a scenario where the world changes in an instant and all the planet's animals join forces and turn Humankind into the prey.

Now picture the worst place to be when that happens.....

The Zoo

Big cats, Silverbacks, Elephants, Creepy crawlies, right down to the cutest furriest critter. And they all want to eat you. Just think of all the teeth, tusks, stingers and strength and you get the gruesome, visceral picture.

Now throw in a small band of survivors. Some likeable and some....not.

Great read. And I'll never look at a zoo in quite the same way again

The Final Winter: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel
The Final Winter: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel

3.0 out of 5 stars The Final Winter, 7 Mar. 2012
To be honest, I'd have preferred to give 3.5 stars, as my 3 star option feels a tad mean and 4 stars to me, would feel too great.

On the whole, I liked the characters and appreciated the thought process that had gone into the 'back story' of Harry, with clever twists to keep the reader interested. But the teenagers....oh dear! The casual acceptance of the fate of their pal, with constant film quotes/references thrown in, plus of course the "dude" "mom" and other utterances never before heard from the mouth of a teen in the UK Midlands!

Mind you....I wouldn't mind going for a beer with Lucas Fergus!

So in summary, yes I would recommend this, it's fast paced, gruesome, doesn't take itself too seriously and for an author just starting out, I see great things ahead

H5N1  Code Name: Greed
H5N1 Code Name: Greed

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 7 Mar. 2012
A real "page turner" (or kindle presser!). The second Jacqueline Druga I have read and much prefered this one. It is a fast paced read with more than a nod in the direction of King's "The Stand" (in fact, it gets a few mentions).

I do enjoy a good post-apocalypse read(cheerful soul, eh?) and this one fits the bill very nicely indeed.

It still needs a bit more time and effort on the proof reading, but in saying that, it's a marked improvement on the last Druga I read.

On reaching the conclusion, I was definitely left wanting more. This is a story that would do very well with a sequel.

Yesterday's Gone: Episode 7 (THE POST-APOCALYPTIC SERIAL THRILLER)
Yesterday's Gone: Episode 7 (THE POST-APOCALYPTIC SERIAL THRILLER)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving the suspense!, 25 Jan. 2012
I raced to read Episode 7, after devouring season 1 (episodes 1-6) in one sitting. As another reviewer states, it takes a wee while to get the flow again as season 7 is set 5 months ahead. However, I soon became lost within the story with the characters again.

We're introduced to some new people this time too, as well as hooking up with some previous faves. Now is it me, but whenever I read about Boricio, my head conjures up the George Thorogood classic song "Bad to the Bone"!

Off to absorb episode 8 now....

Page: 1 | 2