Profile for J. A. Barton > Reviews

Content by J. A. Barton

J. A. Barton "mad4plaid" (Minneapolis, US)

The Nanny
The Nanny
by Melissa Nathan

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute Read, 31 Mar. 2003
This review is from: The Nanny (Hardcover)
I have now read enough Chick Lit books that they all start running together, but Melissa Nathan's books still continue to remain distict, separate stories.
I especially enjoyed the character of Jo, as she tried to unravel her own wants and desires -- and opinions! Josh was so very well written that I know at least six men exactly like him -- and it does seem to be rare that we see well rounded and thoroughly created male characters in books these days.
The Nanny did a great job of occupying a sleating spring day, and has now begun its journey through my friends! Keep up the wonderful writing Ms. Nathan!

Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field
Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field
by Melissa Nathan

5.0 out of 5 stars In need of a new copy -- I've worn mine out!, 31 Mar. 2003
I admit it, I hated reading Pride and Prejudice as a kid. However, I do own the TV version w/ Colin Firth as Mr Darcy, and after seeing that show, I read the book again and loved it.
Which is what drew me to this book. I love the idea of updating a classic, especially if you cannot necessarily see the original story in the update. That's how this book is: the characters stand alone; while mirroring Darcy, Elizabeth, Jane and the others, Ms. Nathan's characters are thoroughly modern people with modern flaws.
And if you aren't familiar with P&P (and there are a LOT of people in the USA who aren't), I think you'll still enjoy this book. I've shared the book with friends who wouldn't know Austin from Bronte or even Shakespeare (seriously!), and they enjoyed the book immensely!

Can You Keep A Secret?
Can You Keep A Secret?
by Sophie Kinsella

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 31 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Can You Keep A Secret? (Paperback)
If you've read the "shopaholics" and loved them, you'll enjoy this book too!
While the male protagonist reminded me a bit of Luke in "shopaholics," the female character is definitely a new person, and yet someone we can all relate to! Especially her unfortunate experience of sharing TOO much with a stranger on a plane! It's a great pick!