Profile for Dr. J. J. Green > Reviews

Content by Dr. J. J. Green

Dr. J. J. Green "Joe" (N Yorks)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
BDBikesTM - Folding Bicycle Repair and Maintenance Stand with Quick Release Head - Bike, or Cycle
Offered by Black Dog Bikes
Price: 39.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stand, 24 July 2014
I really didn't expect such a high quality, robust stand for this money but I am very pleased with this purchase. Incredibly easy to set up and use. I was wary of stands as I didn't want a clamp that would potentially damage my carbon frame but there was no need to fear. I've used the stand several times and really is worth every penny.

AKG K550 High-Performance Closed-Back Reference Class Headphones - Black
AKG K550 High-Performance Closed-Back Reference Class Headphones - Black
Offered by home AV direct
Price: 99.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning headphones as long as the source is good enough, 14 May 2014
I am a bit of an audiophile and I tend to listen vinyl only, with occasional CD playing, and obviously digital on the go. I have auditioned many brands of headphones (Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, Bose, Beats) and earphones and I have to say that these are the best - at this price point - that I have listened to. Build quality is very good, and they are very comfortable - though your ears will get warm after an hours use.
I first used them with an average quality digital source (and admittedly not FLAC/other lossless) and was completely underwhelmed by their performance. But actually the problem was not the headphones - they simply show up the deficits of the source.
Putting them into my main Sugden/Michell system and plugging into my Creek OBH-21SE headphone amp was a different matter completely. Using this amp I could also directly compare them with my Grado 225i headphones (similar list price) and my dads Beats headphones (around 300) as this amp has 2 outputs. I previously raved about the Grados but I'm afraid that the AKG cans blew those away. The separation and naturalness of instruments and vocals with the AKG was amazing, and in fact was off putting at first. Reverb from strings or drums came through clearly - I hadn't heard this so well with the Grados, and is non existent with the overblown Beats. The bass in particular comes across much more punchy and clear than other cans - this then allows the rest of the instruments and vocals to shine. Maybe others don't like these headphones as they prefer more pronounced bass, but I think these allow the sound to come through as it was recorded, with no colouration. For on the go I will stick to my AKG 451 - although these are still very good, they don't show up the deficits in the digital source that I use. The Grados are now relegated to be used as a second pair if needed. Never thought I'd say that.

MediaDevil Artisanphonics EB-01 premium wood earphones with built-in microphone
MediaDevil Artisanphonics EB-01 premium wood earphones with built-in microphone
Offered by MediaDevil
Price: 59.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely earphones, 20 Dec 2013
I've bought a few media devil products previously and was intrigued by their foray into audio products. I liked the fact that the earphones were wooden, and given the positive reviews I thought I'd give them a try. Excellent service as always with the earphones arriving within 48 hours. I tend to listen music in my lounge - vinyl only - so only use headphones when on the go. I'm using these with an iPhone 5S. So, straight out of the box they have a lovely balanced sound that comes close to my AKG 451 and iGrado. I say close as laws of physics dictate that tiny drivers cannot match the bass response of the larger over ear headphones. However I am very pleased with the quality having listened to a variety of genres from black metal to classical. They sound great and build quality appears very good. I'm sure the sound will improve even further with a good 60-100 hours burn in. I have a pair of Grain Audio wooden IEHPs which cost me double the price as these but I'd be hard pushed to tell the difference. Don't bother with the other "fashionable" brands as ear fatigue is common with these "mosquito in a tin can" earphones (my experience anyway). I'd be interested to see if the range expands - I'll buy.

Apple AirPort Express
Apple AirPort Express
Price: 70.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little piece of kit, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: Apple AirPort Express (Accessory)
I bought this purely to stream music from my iMac and MBP to my Sugden amp. It works flawlessly with no drop outs. Amazingly simple to set up, like everything Apple does - electronics talk to each other with no frustration - must have taken one minute to set it up and connect to my network. There may be other ways to do the same thing but to be honest Apple products have always worked well for me so I'm sticking with them.
For those experiencing problems make sure you have the latest update as mine wasn't supplied with the latest firmware.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Tried the rest but I'll stick to the best, 1 April 2013
I've owned my SR225i headphones for about 5 years now. I run them through a Creek OBH 21SE headphone amp. They look like they were made in the 1940s but the sound is definitely now. They are a bit plasticky feeling but they have withstood the test of time - with 2 children having thrown them around and abused them, but they are still as good as new.
The sound is fantastic, but as another reviewer has warned, they are open backed so sound spillage is great. If you want less spillage you're going to have to go for some closed back bins. They are a warm sounding headphone, but not overly so, so they suit all manner of music - I use mine to listen mainly rock/metal where they can be really pushed with no discernible distortion, but they sound equally good with classical - violins sound so sweet. I've tried other makes - Sennheiser, Bose, AKG - and only the AKG come anywhere near the sound quality. The only negative is that after an hour or so I do find the ear pads get a little uncomfortable, though it is rare I listen for any longer anyway.
If I were to get new headphones I would simply go up the scale in Grados, I wouldn't bother looking elsewhere.

The Complete Roadrunner Collection 1991-2003
The Complete Roadrunner Collection 1991-2003
Price: 25.16

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a pity Dead Again isn't on there as a bonus, 22 Mar 2013
Yes I know Dead Again wasn't released through Roadrunner, but would just have been nice to have had it all together through some special licensing deal.
The music is great - Bloody Kisses and Slow, Deep and Hard being my favourite albums, the packaging is slightly better the Original Album Series, but the cardboard slipcases could have been better. There are no liner notes. I wish it had been done like the Sony SOAD boxset which was fantastic value for money. For someone new to TON it would have been nice for them to be able to read some background to the band - doesn't really matter for me as I have everything back to Pete's Carnivore days on vinyl, limited CD etc etc, and I'm just using the CDs in the car, as they are packaged conveniently for this purpose.
Still, a superb band who were the soundtrack to my late teens and twenties, and a fantastic collection for anyone who has an interest in TON and wants to build a collection cheaply.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2013 11:58 AM BST

Easy Unrar, Unzip & Zip Lite
Easy Unrar, Unzip & Zip Lite
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Really simple, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: Easy Unrar, Unzip & Zip Lite (App)
Unzipped music files simply and quickly even though my kindle warned that these files may be tricky to download. Not sure what the advantage of the paid version is but this free version is good enough for me for now at least.

This Could Hurt
This Could Hurt
Price: 1.49

4.0 out of 5 stars not bad, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: This Could Hurt (App)
Quick platform style game. Smooth graphics. Whilst it can be completed quickly to get all the awards would take a considerable time. Re the French language: you click so that the French flag shows and it will play in English. Bit odd I agree but that's the way it plays.

Tenda S105 10/100 5-Port Mini Switch
Tenda S105 10/100 5-Port Mini Switch
Offered by King Of Gadgets UK
Price: 7.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Works straight out of the box, 9 Jan 2013
I use this switch for my AV set up with a powerline adaptor - my blu ray and ATV3 are already wirelessly connected but the sky hd box and denon amp needed a wired connection. i had to reset the sky box after installation of the switch but other than that it has worked perfectly with no additional messing about. internet connection through the amp is perfect also. i'm not particularly computer minded so was glad no tinkering was required - strangely on the box it only says windows ready (i'm not sure what relevance this has with it just being a switch), but i'm a mac/ios user, and have had no problems there eg i'm using my iphone as a remote for the amp and this works perfectly also. does exactly what it was meant to do in a small neat package so 5 stars from me. An additional power switch would have been useful rather than having to leave it on permanently but i'm not going to drop a star for that.

Asphalt 7: Heat (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Asphalt 7: Heat (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars was great until update, 15 Dec 2012
I love this game on iOS and it was very good on kindle until the last update which renders the game unresponsive after races and increases load times. Graphics are nice and handling pretty good. NFS is a better game now but if the developers correct the bugs I'll put this game back to 5 stars which is how I would otherwise rate it. Was never as good as Real Racing though admittedly a different style of racing game. I just can't be bothered playing this until corrected. And I have tried deleting and downloading, rebooting kindle etc but to no avail.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3