Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's
Profile for L-J > Reviews

Content by L-J

L-J (London)

Cuisique Spiralizer The Premium Easy to use Healthy Courgette Spaghetti Pasta Maker, with Extra 4 Blade Bundle including - Fruit Slicer, Mandolin, Vegetable Cutter and Juicer - with a Unique 1 Litre Spiral Catcher
Offered by Elite-Choice

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my spiraliser, 27 Oct. 2015
I love my spiraliser! It really is easy to use, and easy to clean. I have a petite kitchen and it fits right in and is a godsend. I am currently existingon courgettini and ribbonned beetroot...

The Huddled Masses: Immigration and Inequality (Kindle Single)
The Huddled Masses: Immigration and Inequality (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable, challenging, and data-rich critique of immigration and inequality., 4 Mar. 2015
Immigration continues to be a contentious, highly-debated topic. For those who wish to question and counter the hysteria that surrounds this subject there are few accessible points of reference. So thank you Katy Long for "The Huddled Masses". A major strength of this timely book is that it is packed full of data, set in context by real life stories of migrants who live and work amongst us (including Long herself!). Academic knowledge from the fields of history, social sciences and economics is translated into readable prose, without any loss of critical content. She does not present a utopia of free movement, and addresses many of the legitimate fears about migration head on. However by questioning the political motives behind current legislation and looking widely at their consequences, she highlights ways in which we are all harmed. In particular she highlights the inequalities in the current system, and shows how citizenship can increasingly be bought. She deconstructs the term migrant and exposes our prejudices related to whether those migrants are rich or poor.

I found the chapter "cradle to grave' on the social rights of migrants particularly interesting. As an NHS doctor I hear a lot about 'health tourism' but see little evidence of it in practice. Seeing data on the relative costs to the NHS of migrants vs local residents was particularly interesting, showing how misplaced sensational headlines about health tourism really are. Long also highlights how dependant the NHS is on migrant workers. The current department I work in is full of spanish nurses: we would have to close beds and shut our doors to critically ill people without them as we do not train enough nurses in the UK to fill posts. Since changes to visa restrictions, there are now fewer migrant doctors who often act as locums, at least when they first arrive in the UK. I now see gaps on the rotas of most hospitals I work in, with shifts unfilled due to a scarcity of locums. Changes to migrant labour rules often have unintended consequences which do not serve the local population.

This book made me question the basis of my own beliefs and assumptions around migration, and armed me with data in the battle against lazy rhetoric. It was an enjoyable read, taking me around the world on my daily commute. I highly recommend it.

River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 6 Oct. 2012
Haven't found a recipe that I didn't love. Even my veg-sceptic friends are won over by Hugh's Veg.

Last night's Mushroom Stoup was great.

More please, Hugh.

Papers
Papers
by Hollie McNish

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, insightful, entertaining, the best few quid you will spend this year!, 5 May 2012
This review is from: Papers (Paperback)
Hollie McNish has a lot to say. And you will want to listen.

Hollie already has a large following online and in the world of spoken word poetry, but this is her first published collection of poems in the form of a book. She only writes about things she cares passionately about, but this covers subjects as diverse as the sensuality of cooking, racism and prejudice, the damage inflicted by the objectification of women, the joy of touching, misinformation on the effects of immigration and much much more.

She writes in a style that is unique, personal and accessible, enabling her to articulate her immense knowledge and intellectual engagement with her chosen subjects in a way that invites her audience in. She makes you feel that you also have a right to speak, to question, and to challenge the world you see around you. For this reason, her work is a fantastic resource for teachers and those working with young people.

But this collection is also just a really great read. It goes well with a cup of tea and a hobnob. After dipping into it I feel newly energised and inspired to go out, tell people they are beautiful, celebrate life, demand action for injustices and change the world.

Particular favourites of my own include "language learning," which makes me blush and giggle every time; "willies are more dangerous than guns" which beneath the humour has an incredibly powerful message; and "Wow" which inspired me to stand naked in the mirror, not to look for flaws and instead say "my body is amazing."

Whether you're already a devoted fan, or are new to Hollie's work you need "Papers" in your life.

The Human Brain Coloring Book (Coloring Concepts Series)
The Human Brain Coloring Book (Coloring Concepts Series)
by Marian C. Diamond

4.0 out of 5 stars Only reason I passed my exams, 6 Sept. 2003
The "colouring book" series is a godsend to students tired of laboriously trawling through text books. For anatomy the diagrams are clear and accurate and the systems sections add depth of knowledge. I think they're great!