Profile for Dreamburo > Reviews

Content by Dreamburo

Dreamburo "Dreamburo" (Herts, UK)

Canac Cat's Cradle Wide
Canac Cat's Cradle Wide

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit flimsy and doesn't automatically fit all radiators., 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Canac Cat's Cradle Wide (Misc.)
This doesn't fit snugly and has to be slotted into the 'fins' on the back of the radiator to work at all. The cat loves it, but the slightest knock unseats it from the radiator and I'm forever slotting it back in. She hasn't used it so much since she jumped on it and it tipped her onto the floor. But once she gets into it, she sleeps there all day.

CSL - 300 Mbit/s USB 2.0 WiFi (Wireless LAN / WiFi) Adapter Dongle | WPS button | Mimo Technology / WPA/WPA2 + WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK | Windows 7 + Windows 8 + Windows 8.1 / Raspberry Pi / MacOS capable
Offered by CSL-Computer

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug 'n' Play on Linux - works like a dream, 4 Mar 2014
I plugged it into two different computers, one running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and one running Mint 15. Went to network settings and chose my network, inputting password. Both picked it up without the need to install drivers. Excellent product, arrived in super-quick time. Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2014 9:40 PM GMT

London Transport Planner
London Transport Planner

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish app IMO, 13 April 2013
This review is from: London Transport Planner (App)
doesn't allow you to enter info into fields when planning journey on Galaxy Note II so totally useless from my point of view...

Tea Tree Essential Oil - 100ml - 100% Pure
Tea Tree Essential Oil - 100ml - 100% Pure
Offered by Mystic-Moments

1.0 out of 5 stars bad batch, 5 July 2012
the first time we bought this it was all right. the second time it smelled like solvent.

there's no such thing as 'pure' tea tree oil. tea tree oil is a mixture of different compounds.

that's why there's an international standard for tea tree oil -- ISO 4730 -- which this particular tea tree oil does not follow.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2013 12:03 PM GMT

Money Matters for Therapists: A Financial Guide for Self-Employed Therapists and Counsellors
by Robert Tyler

3.0 out of 5 stars Still working on this, 25 July 2007
I have given this book a middling rating because I am still trying to find out if some of the information given in it is utterly off track, or whether it is a question of making a skillful argument. Basically, the author says you can legitimately deduct expenses in the form of training costs, even required personal therapy sessions, when you become self-employed as a therapist, from your gross profit. As many trainees will know, this can add up to many thousands of pounds, so if it were true it would be very good news. However, I have just spoken to the IR Tax Credits helpline, who say "absolutely not"; that the decision to train as a psychotherapist was entirely mine, and saying that graduates from universities don't get that privilege, so why should other qualified individuals. Granted, this is only an opinion, and I would have to get a ruling from an HM Inspector of Taxes, but nonetheless it carries quite a bit of weight, to my mind. I have called the publishers to try to get a comment from the author, but the number given in the back went unanswered.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2011 10:00 AM BST

Spirited Away [DVD]
Spirited Away [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daveigh Chase

5.0 out of 5 stars Viewing marred by coding problems, 3 May 2004
This review is from: Spirited Away [DVD] (DVD)
I have a multi-region DVD player which would only play the first half of this movie, which very much spoiled my enjoyment of what is one of the best films I have ever seen. (luckily I was able to finish viewing it on my computer's DVD player, but in much smaller format, sadly)
I have since found that many other people have found similar problems with the UK release of this DVD. I haven't worked out exactly what sort of players don't get on well with the coding on this release, but I would suggest you research it if you have no alternative way of viewing a DVD. You may never see the end of the movie! (the animeondvd.com forums have a very long thread on this issue.)
I was very disappointed and about to return the DVD to Amazon, but when I realised I could still view it on my computer I couldn't part with it, faults or no.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Just watch your formats.

Albion - the Origins of the English Imagination
Albion - the Origins of the English Imagination
by Peter Ackroyd

5.0 out of 5 stars A continuing delight, 4 Sep 2003
I haven't even finished this yet, and I already want to rave about it. Initially I felt a little shame-faced and sheepish, buying something called Albion, because of its nationalistic implications. What swayed me was the use of the word 'imagination' in the sub-title, and a sudden dyslexic shift which turned Albion into Alboin, which means "elf-friend", and is a character in a story by that other great anachroniser, JRR Tolkien.
Yes, you do have to be careful with this stuff. It's important to go along with Ackroyd's refusal to be pinned down in any of his statements about what is English, with his ability to fish in very deep waters for cultural correspondences, and also with the letting go, so the material can stay alive and ever becoming, never fixed, concrete and literal. In this Ackroyd submits (in a masterly way!) to the Mercurial discipline of the imagination.
Apart from the depth and breadth of the author's scholarship, there are incidental delights to be found in the poetry of Ackroyd's own prose. A line in the first paragraph of Chapter 1, entitled "The Tree", caught at me with a quickened heartbeat:
"...as if the landscape propelled them into speech."
And another, in Chapter 11, shows the old tendency to alliteration shining through (unbidden?):
"...a curious consonance here of climate and territory"
My Sweet's Anglo-Saxon Primer tells me that Aelfric translated a "little book into the English language on that art of letters which is called grammatica"
Well, herein lies the grammar of the heart of the land.