Profile for Cairn > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Electric Warlock Acid Witch Satantic Orgy
The Electric Warlock Acid Witch Satantic Orgy

3.0 out of 5 stars I've been a fan of Rob Zombie's for a long ..., 23 May 2016
I've been a fan of Rob Zombie's for a long time but this album doesn't seem as inspired as his previous works, almost as if he's going through the motions a little bit. There are a couple of stand out tracks - number 4 and 8, but it seems a bit middle of the road, and it was disappointing that it was so short. It made it feel rushed.

The Quality of Silence
The Quality of Silence
by Rosamund Lupton

2.0 out of 5 stars A letdown after Lupton's previous works, 23 May 2016
This review is from: The Quality of Silence (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to reading this after Lupton's previous books - 'Sister' was a real highlight, and the plots of both her previous books were intriguing and engaging with characters you could relate to and root for.
Sadly, not so this time around.
The premise is rather far fetched from the get go; but this I could just about look past - it's fiction, after all! However, it just gets sillier and sillier.
***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***
How a woman used to driving a family car in urban Britain can then decide to take charge of a truck in frozen Alaska, bringing a ten year old along is ludicrous. It takes years for an ice road trucker to learn their craft, and here she does it within hours of getting off the plane.
It's always difficult for an author to write 'as a child', but this didn't gel either and I found these passages difficult to get through, particularly the 'super-coolio' lingo.
Perhaps Lupton was trying to make a political statement regarding the fracking, but ultimately with the far fetched tale, abrupt ending and poor characters this book was a mis-fire and just didn't work at all.

Kylie Christmas [CD+DVD]
Kylie Christmas [CD+DVD]
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of festive cheer, 20 Nov. 2015
I was surprised at the release date as it seemed a little early for Christmas (maybe I'm a bit of a Scrooge, I don't know, but mid November just isn't Christmas to me...) but I gave it a listen and I was surprised at how impressed I was, and how much of a festive mood it created!
There have been a few reviews that have criticised it for sounding 'cheap' and stating that there were poor production values, but I totally disagree! As a contrast, I purchased Wilde Winter Songbook (Deluxe), which I would also give a five star review and highly recommend, at the same time, but there is definitely a contrast in the production values.
The opening track 'It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year' has a wonderful orchestral feel to it, rather than a studio sound, and if that's cheap, then I'd love to hear the high value sound!
It's a nice mix of old and new, the covers having a nice 'Kylie-esque' spin on them, and it's great to have her version of 'Santa Baby' finally on an album. I can imagine 'Every Day's Like Christmas' ending up as many couple's 'Christmas song' too!
It's an interesting selection of choices for the duets - James Corden is surprisingly good, and the integration works brilliantly! Iggy Pop not so well, in my opinion anyway, and I think his being used minimally was a wise decision.
The duet with Dannii is my favourite tune on the album, it's a real disco stomper and really uplifting. I think it should have been the final song on the album, however, as the song after it ('Cried Out Christmas') is a more downbeat and mellow tune, and the album would have been better ending on a high note in my opinion.
A minor quibble, though! There is no song that I definitively think 'I don't like this' and skip to the next track, and I can say without hesitation I'll be playing this over and over at Christmas time.

The House on Poultney Road
The House on Poultney Road
by Stephanie Boddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Shows promise, 18 Jun. 2015
Yep, it's self published and print on demand, and but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
I must admit that reading the other reviews has improved my opinion of the book, as the author has responded to the reviews and acknowledged what people are saying. I'm also reading the sequel now and there is a vast improvement, so it's clear that she's taken on board the comments.
Back to the original novel, to be frank it's not particularly well written. Sentences break in the middle of the page, there are a lot of spelling mistakes and for a book set in England, there are several Americanisms, such as 'liquor' and there wasn't a great deal of articulation.
That said, however, the plot was engaging and I was keen to find out what happens.
I'm not really interested in the debate about whether it's a true story or not - for me, it was simply a book to read and enjoy, and it filled that purpose. All I would say is that it needed more proofreading and editing, and in the sequel book it's clear this has happened (though admittedly there are still some glaring mistakes).
It won't go down as a classic, but I say good on Stephanie Boddy for publishing her work and as a debut novel it shows a lot of promise.

Miranda - The Finale [DVD]
Miranda - The Finale [DVD]
Dvd ~ Miranda Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars Going out on top!, 15 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Miranda - The Finale [DVD] (DVD)
Never has Miranda Hart failed to make me laugh, no matter how bad my mood is!
I confess that I was extremely disappointed when the announcement came that the show was ending, but the reasoning is logical, that Hart wants to end it while it's at the top of its' game rather than keep it going until it's stale and recycling the same gags.
At least this way we get to see the plots wrapped up rather than abrupt cancellation causing things to be left dangling too...
I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it, but there are plenty of gags for those familiar with the show, catchphrases aplenty and wonderful indulgences for those who revel in Hart's humour.
I must admit that, yes, when Miranda Hart thanked the audience, I cried.
I'm so sad to see it go, but Miranda will be forever galloping in my heart, and always make me laugh when I watch it on DVD!
A true comedy classic.

The Secret Path [DVD]
The Secret Path [DVD]
Dvd ~ Darren Bransford
Offered by Gayfilmlover

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor production values, 1 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Secret Path [DVD] (DVD)
Two stars for this movie were simply because it should be praised for its' ambition and nothing more - in this instance it failed to achieve.
From what I understand (the plot was hard to grasp), two lovers are hiding in the grounds of a stately home and are being haunted by somebody they abandoned once upon a time- it seems he was yanked behind a statue and one of the couple is having visions of the same happening to him.
The problem is the poor production values mean that it's hard to hear what either of them are saying most of the time, and as a result it's hard to follow what's going on. Showing 'artistic' shots of swaying trees or black and white shots of people hiding in the bushes looking menacing doesn't help explain things either.
I'm not one of those who believes a gay film *has* to have a sex scene in it to be interesting, and yes there is one in this movie (actually there are two, but it looks like they filmed one and used it twice). But to me it just looks like the characters are doing it to relieve the sense of boredom.
There could have been something interesting, but the poor sound, shaky screens and confusing plot just seem to make it more like a home made movie on a camcorder and I ended up giving my copy to the charity shop.

Hooded Man: Robert of Huntingdon Volume 2
Hooded Man: Robert of Huntingdon Volume 2
by Andrew Orton

5.0 out of 5 stars A marvelous follow up to the first volume, 6 Nov. 2014
The first volume of 'Hooded Man' was so well researched and thorough, and passionately written, it set a high bar for the second volume covering Jason Connery's period as the Hooded Man.
Thankfully, the high standard has been maintained through and through - once again we are treated to fantastic behind the scenes information and reviews. Even though it was nearly thirty years ago, the wealth of research that must have been conducted is obvious and extremely impressive.
This time around we also get to learn about the spinoff books, comic strips, the music etc. which is a nice extra particularly given the age of the show it's now harder to be able to find out what there is.
It was a real shame that behind the scenes politics meant Robin of Sherwood didn't continue, even now the show displays brilliant originality and quality, and thankfully with this book we get to re-live a wonderful period of television history.

Suck UK Balloon Animals
Suck UK Balloon Animals

5.0 out of 5 stars A painless alternative to paintball, 24 Oct. 2014
I bought this for my nephews who are still a bit young for the rough and tumble of paintballing and quasar etc, and this was a great alternative to help them burn off excess energy and avoid 'square screen syndrome'.
The great advantage is there is a specfic target to go for, but it's reusable. The guns could be considered a bit small for a water pistol by today's standards, and they are a bit flimsy, but there's nothing to stop anybody replacing them with a super soaker etc. which is what we did.
For something a bit different, it's good fun!

Hooded Man: Robin of Loxley Part 1: An Unofficial and Unauthorised Guide to Robin of Sherwood
by Andrew Orton

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful range of villains, 8 Oct. 2014
For me, Robin of Sherwood is the staple Robin Hood story and has it all - swashbuckling escapades, camaraderie amongst the 'Merries', a wonderful range of villains, a beautiful love story and wonderful mysticism.
I was always a bit surprised that no official guide had been released, but Orton's book fulfils this role in spades!
No stone is left unturned and we find out how the series evolved and came into being, the writing and casting, and the reception it received.
For even the hardcore fan there will likely be information they didn't know, and it's interesting to read about the influence the show had on subsequent versions of the Robin Hood legend, including the awful Kevin Costner version some years later. Another reviewer has mentioned that there are a lot of swipes at this movie, which, as bad as that film was, the book didn't need to do.
That's a minor quibble though - for anybody with an interest in Robin of Sherwood, this is something you will definitely enjoy.
Roll on volume two!

The Whitechapel Murders & Mary Jane Kelly
The Whitechapel Murders & Mary Jane Kelly

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't take it seriously, 23 Sept. 2014
The theory of a 'royal conspiracy' for the Whitechapel murders is one that has been bandied around for decades now, so this idea is not one that is particularly new and the book doesn't present anything original.
Sadly, it's hard to take it remotely seriously when the author is so sure of themselves despite presenting glaring errors.
For example, on page 191 - 'The body was badly mutilated, so it would be impossible to know if the victim had been pregnant'. Incorrect! There are, or were, in 1888, several ways to detect if a woman is / was pregnant.
Page 197 also places major emphasis on the print of 'The Fisherman's Widow' hanging in Mary Kelly's room, stating that it was a wink to 'those in the know' from the killer(s). Why? I mean, what would honestly be the point? The print was a cheap reproduction that was fairly common and could be seen all over the place.
The book is entertaining, and would be great as a Hollywood movie with it's royal motives, lip reading sleuths and heroines on the run, but it's hard to take it seriously despite the author's self satisfied tone.
The blurb states that this book 'is a must-read for ripperologists' - it really isn't.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4