Profile for Olly M > Reviews

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle-Stop Cafe
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle-Stop Cafe
by Fannie Flagg

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing and Warm, 21 April 2012
The book is a wonderful read, and superbly written. There is a warmth that pervades the whole book, and an occasional light lilt of humour, even after fairly dark moments. You cannot help but warm to all of the characters, apart from Ruth's evil husbandand. It left me feeling incredibly uplifted. It is escapist fiction, in the most glorious sense, but it also feels real,and that made me feel even happier - that it could, just about, have been true. This book has a gentle pace, and a storyline that unfolds in its own beautiful way, like a meandering river on a sunny day. The author, and her characters, tell you what they want to tell you, when they feel like it, and there is no sense in rushing them. You will find out all that you need to know, and probably, like me, end up loving the author for making you wait for a few things. Definitely a 5-star book.

A Dirty Shame [DVD]
A Dirty Shame [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tracey Ullman
Offered by The Happy Zombie

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 9 Mar 2011
This review is from: A Dirty Shame [DVD] (DVD)
This film is gleefully naughty, and pleasantly warped, reflecting its director, John Waters. Unlike some of Waters' early films, the acting is consistently good, and in places brilliant. Tracey Ullman is fine as the central character, but Suzanne Shepherd's performance was worth the price of the DVD, and more. The handbag scene had me laughing helplessly, as tears streamed down my face. I'm even laughing as I type this. It deserves 5 stars for the acting, the laughter it causes, and the delightfully warped quality at its heart.

Auntie Mame [DVD] [1958] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Auntie Mame [DVD] [1958] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Rosalind Russell

5.0 out of 5 stars Only 5 stars?, 15 Nov 2007
I cannot praise this film highly enough. Rosalind Russell is fabulous, in the title role, and owns the screen every time she is in shot. The whole cast is superb, especially Jan Handzlik (as the young Patrick Denis), Coral Browne (as Vera), and Peggy Cass (Agnes Gooch). The relationship between the young Patrick, and his gloriously eccentric aunt is touching and believable, without being too saccharine, and the film always leaves me feeling really good inside. It is uplifting, immaculately acted, and a thoroughly satisfying comedy. I wish I had an Auntie Mame in my family.

The Howling Miller
The Howling Miller
by Arto Paasilinna

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer brilliance., 1 Sep 2007
This review is from: The Howling Miller (Paperback)
I've just finished reading 'The Howling Miller', and have to say it is one of the most stunning books I've ever read. It touched me deeply, and I found, in Huttunen, a character with whom I really identified. Every character, every person in the village, comes across in brilliant technicolour, and there is not one wasted sentence in the whole book. The translation is excellent, in that sometimes translations can be somewhat dry, yet this one is as fresh as the vegetables in the miller's garden. I laughed, I rooted for the main character, and I found myself being taken on an effortless journey by a great writer. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, as it struck me as being perfect in every possible respect.

Opera Arias
Opera Arias
Offered by Music-Club

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth discovering for yourself., 12 April 2007
This review is from: Opera Arias (Audio CD)
I tried out this recording of Jaakko Ryhanen on the off-chance that it might be good. He has a superb, rich voice, and this cd has become one of my all-time favourites. There is a good booklet with photos and translations of lyrics. But, it is the sheer magnificence of the voice that will make it worth every penny.

Opera Arias From Zauberflote
Opera Arias From Zauberflote

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 12 April 2007
Matti Salminen has one of the greatest voices ever to be recorded. The Verdi arias, especially the one from Macbeth, are immaculate, deep and rich - just the way they should be. This is the aural equivalent of letting icecream melt in your mouth. He is also a great actor, and well worth catching on DVD.

Our Lady of 121st Street
Our Lady of 121st Street
by Stephen Adly Guirgis

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Brilliance., 15 Sep 2006
I bought this play, on a whim, having never heard of Stephen Adly Guirgis, and cannot praise his talent highly enough. All twelve characters are distinct and unique, and have a three-dimensional depth even before actors have the chance to play them. I loved the comedy of the row between Gail and Flip; and was moved by the scene with Balthazar and Vic. I cannot do the play justice, in my little review, but hope that it encourages someone else to explore the work of this brilliantly gifted playwright.