Profile for Average Joe > Reviews

Content by Average Joe

Average Joe "cornflake_guy" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Disney Frozen Olaf Fleece Blanket Brand New Official Licensed Item
Disney Frozen Olaf Fleece Blanket Brand New Official Licensed Item
Offered by Direct uk Linens

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and big, 14 Jan. 2015
Really impressed with this. Nice and big, lovely soft quality and vibrant print. Perfect. So pleased with it.

Nintendo amiibo Super Smash Bros. - Link (Nintendo Wii U/3DS)
Nintendo amiibo Super Smash Bros. - Link (Nintendo Wii U/3DS)

3.0 out of 5 stars Struggling to see the point..., 30 Dec. 2014
I got Hyrule Warriors for Christmas and also own Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros so thought I'd get myself the Link and Zelda Amiibo. But I have to be honest I'm incredibly underwhelmed. Nintendo have really missed a trick here. I'm a huge fan of Disney Infinity and have enjoyed collecting all the figures but these Amiibos just don't seem worth it. They don't really do alot in game. It would have been great if Link unlocked a playable character in Mario Kart but I'd already had to pay to download that. Whilst I don't regret getting the two I did I certainly won't be buying anymore. Certainly not until Nintendo produce a game which actually makes it worthwhile owning a range of them

Dangerous Creatures (Book 1)
Dangerous Creatures (Book 1)
by Kami Garcia

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as I wanted it to be., 10 Aug. 2014
I really enjoyed the Beautiful Creatures series. The characters and world were deep, engaging and fun to read. Ridley was my favourite character so I was really pleased when I found out she was getting her own story. I thought we would get more of her back story and see Ridley in all her bad ass glory. This is where the story fails. It's all a bit lacklustre. I waa surprised by how thin the book was compared to the others and some of that is just, unnecessarily, the opening pages of Beautiful Creatures at the back. The story just isn't really that interesting and it felt like a short story padded out. Ridley is also not the character I loved. She comes across fairly weak at times and for alot of the novel tries to be mortal, working in a hair salon! The ending is also a bit of a damp squib with no real dramatic showdown although there is a cliffhanger. Perhaps the remaining books in this new series should have just been put into one stronger story because this to me felt underdeveloped and unfinished. Even the writing was somewhat basic and juvenile, not as descriptive and pleasant as the Beautiful Creatures book. I shall read the next book but hope it has more punch. It's also advisable to read the prequel Dangerous Dream as otherwise you'll struggle to understand what's going on, though given the length of the book this really should have been part of the main novel not a separate download.

Vampire Academy [DVD] [2014]
Vampire Academy [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Zoey Deutch

4.0 out of 5 stars ... the books but have to say I really quite enjoyed this film, 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Vampire Academy [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I have never read the books but have to say I really quite enjoyed this film. It's well paced, nice action, good lore and mythology and a fresh take on the genre. I actually really liked the sassy lead character dhampir and found her engaging. I kind of wish this had actually been the pilot episode of a TV show, that's how it felt and there was clearly a lot more story and material to explore.

John and George: The Dog Who Changed My Life
John and George: The Dog Who Changed My Life
by John Dolan

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, dustjacket very misleading., 2 Aug. 2014
I was so disappointed by this book. I fail to understand why anyone would say it is inspirational. John Dolan comes across as incredibly self righteous 'woe is me' and the bits about his childhood just show him to be a brat and a delinquent. The information on the dustjacket about his 'early life was marked by neglect and abuse' are at best misleading and laughably inaccurate but at worst insulting to his parents who he admits spoilt him and couldn't do enough for him. This is another tale of someone who chooses to bunk school, do drugs and get involved in petty crime and we as a reader are supposed to feel sympathy when he brings it all on himself. I often got the sense as well that John was leaving out certain information to try and make himself look better. The worst was when he tries to be the victim when the police raid his mother's home and she has to stand out in the cold even though she has cancer. What makes this book even worse is the fact that George the dog is hardly in it! As an owner of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier I'm always keen to read positive representations of the breed. George does appear to be a lovely dog but I sort of wish he had a loving family instead of John Dolan. I was horrified by the bits where he says how he trained him, basically by shouting at him and threatening to hit him with crutches! And constantly calling the dog a bast**d was not endearing at all. And when John finally reveals he was still on heroin the whole time I couldn't help but feel incredibly sorry for George. It's worth noting as well that John was not homeless, he had a flat and was living on benefits (nothing wrong with that) but was begging on the streets to effectively fund this habit. Using George in the snow and rain as he knew people would give more money for the dog. I find this appalling as a dog owner and can't abide the fact he trained George to bark and growl at people by pointing at them if he didn't like them. This is so irresponsible and gives Staffordshire Bull Terriers an unnecessary bad name. Rather than a lovely, heartwarming tale I was left annoyed, frustrated and a little bit saddened but for the wrong reasons. I bought this book on a whim because of the lovely picture of George on the cover but firmly regret doing so, I'm actually annoyed with myself that I paid for it and effectively supported his 'story.'
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2014 10:24 PM BST

Disney Infinity Stitch Surfboard Power disc (Xbox 360/PS3/Nintendo Wii/Wii U/3DS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition, 28 May 2014
Pleased I bought this when I did as it now seems to be unavailable. Great little addition to the game similiar to the hover board in the Incredibles playset.

The Family [Blu-ray]
The Family [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Robert De Niro

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, 28 May 2014
This review is from: The Family [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I'm surprised this film has received so many negative reviews as I have to say I really enjoyed it. Good mix of drama, humour and an action finale sequence. The humour is subtle and not overdone and I found the film well paced. The only slight plot point that felt a stretch too far was the son's school newspaper in France somehow managing to make it's way to the mobsters jail cell in America! Whilst this film is not laugh out loud funny it certainly kept me entertained and I would recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2014 11:52 PM BST

Me. I am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse
Me. I am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse

4.0 out of 5 stars Really pleasing, 26 May 2014
I've always been interested in Mariah over the years though perhaps not as big a fan as I once was. However this album is great. It seems the time taken on it has paid off, though I wonder why the single 'Triumphant' was removed all together. All the tracks are strong with a nice mix of piano ballads and some great uptempo disco club tracks like the brilliant 'You Don't Know What to Do' and 'Meteorite'. I personally found the track with her children a little corny. But another favourite is 'Make It Look Good.' Mariah's vocals are also on good form here. The only reason I give it 4 rather than 5 is I can't understand why the fantastic single and former title track 'Art of Letting Go' is only on the Deluxe version. I also don't like the fact the 2 reject tracks from the ill fated 'Angel's Advocate' are included on the deluxe version, sort of renders the deluxe version pointless as the 'Art of Letting Go' could have just been included on a tighter 15 track album. I also didn't care for some of the language and use of the 'N' word in 'Money'. I'm no prude but don't expect this from a Mariah album.
All in all though a great album that I look forward to listening to many times over.

Resurrection
Resurrection

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful heartfelt album, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Resurrection (Audio CD)
I have always loved Anastacia and was so pleased when this new album was announced. Now like most reviewers I was somewhat surprised when I first listened to it, however I think this was down to poor marketing. Based on her previous rock covers album 'It's A Man's World', the teaser single 'What Can We Do' and the lead single from the album 'Stupid Little Things' I had been expecting a more rock influenced album similar to 'Anastacia'. This was further supported by numerous promotional interviews I'd seen with Anastacia leading up to the albums release where she constantly stated she had returned to her SPROCK sound. However the album is actually a softer, more ballad led affair. Whilst at first this threw me after another listen I really loved the album. It really shows a mature artist exploring life experiences through music rather than just trying to get hit singles. The album does still have it's upbeat moments but the single 'Stupid Little Things' is not representative of the overall sound of the album. I got the deluxe edition and wonder why the track 'Resurrection' is only on this version as it's one of the standout tracks for me. I seem to be in a minority though when it comes to the new version of 'Left Outside Alone.' For me the slowed down, lighter music doesn't fit with the lyrics and the new melody seems to jarr slightly with the backing music. All in all a fantastic album, my second favourite behind 'Anastacia'.

Anastacia: Live At Last [DVD] [2009]
Anastacia: Live At Last [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Jim Gable

4.0 out of 5 stars Great concert but why not the Encore tour?, 18 May 2014
This is a great release. Buyers note there is a one disc with just the concert and two disc version with bonus material. I bought the two disc version and really lived the concert. Had I just bought the one disc version I would have been more than happy. However as another reviewer has stated in the documentary on the two disc version Anastacia basically slags off the Live at Last tour and constantly states how much better the Encore version was and from the footage it does seem improved. Better stage sets, better choreography, better song selection etc, so whilst this is a great concert snd I will no doubt watch it lots of times one must wonder why the record company didn't release the Encore tour version which they clearly had the footage of.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3