Profile for swazijohn > Reviews

The City of Shadows
The City of Shadows
Price: 1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb historical fiction, 8 May 2014
This book had it all for me - a period of Irish history that I wanted to know more about, central characters with whom I could empathise and a great intertwining of real and fictional characters that frequently had me Googling for more background. Both in Dublin and Danzig, it was easy to feel you were there with them.
I would add that I normally retain a degree of detachment from what I am reading - at the end of the day its only fiction, isn't it - but on more than one occasion, I was feeling angry with the abuses of power portrayed in the book. That is testimony to how credible and realistic those scenarios were painted.
Needless to say, I've just bought the sequel, City of Strangers and am looking forward to another good read.

5200 mAh 10.8v New Laptop Replacement Battery for HP G50,G60,G61,G70,G71,HDX X16-1000 ,HDX X16-1100,HDX X16-1200,HDX X16-1300, HDX16,HDX16-1140US,HDX16t,Pavilion dv4,dv4t,Pavilion dv4z,Pavilion dv5 ,Pavilion dv6,COMPAQ Presario CQ40,CQ45,CQ50 ,CQ60,CQ61,CQ70,CQ71,PN:HP 462889-121, 462889-421, 462890-151, 462890-161, 462890-251, 462890-541, 462890-751, 462890-761, 482186-003, 484170-001, 484170-002, 484171-001, 485041-001, 485041-003, 487296-001, 487354-001, 497694-001
Offered by Tech Global
Price: 12.67

The Lewis Man: Book Two of the Lewis Trilogy
The Lewis Man: Book Two of the Lewis Trilogy
Price: 3.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book let down by the ending, 2 Dec 2013
The Lewis Man reminded me very quickly how much I had enjoyed The Black House. Peter May has an ability to transport you to the place, the scenery, the culture which really lets you get into the book, gives the characters an extra dimension and lets you feel that you are actually there.
All the more surprising therefore that the author really let himself down with a contrived ending that could have come straight out of the pages of a cheap novel. But I enjoyed the rest of the book so much that its still going to get 5 stars - I'll now take a short break before starting the Chess Man.

The Secret World of Fluffy Ratbag
The Secret World of Fluffy Ratbag
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 4 Nov 2013
I can honestly say I haven't laughed out loud as much in a long while. I haven't had a cat for a while but there have been plenty in the family and my daughter owns a cattery - just loved the way in which the book humorously relates so much cat behaviour.

Traitor's Gate
Traitor's Gate
Price: 2.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb historical fiction, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Traitor's Gate (Kindle Edition)
I've followed Michael Ridpath's books across Iceland and high finance, so being a keen reader of alternative history, I bought this one immediately. All I can say is that it kept me captivated - it rated up there with the best for seamlessly integrating fact and fiction. At the same time, it created highly believable characters (with the possible exception of Sophie) and clicked along at a fair rate.
It was very easy to immerse yourself in this being reality and you as the reader being there with it all. Sorry I've finished it - a great read.

The Heydrich Sanction
The Heydrich Sanction
Price: 1.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 18 Sep 2013
Having enjoyed Denis Kilcommons' 'Dante's Children' and being an alternative history fan, I was looking forward to this one. In the end, I was left uncertain what the author was trying to do. By setting some exact characters, especially the Beatles, from a parallel universe (namely the real one), it was inevitably rather tongue in cheek rather than serious historical fiction.
I did also find the idea of a peacetime 'Heydrich Sanction' something of a stretch - I just don't think Mosley was that stupid or an increasingly detached Hitler that impregnable for this scenario to be a credible one.
So what was it? Historical fantasy?

The Last Queen of England: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #3 (Jefferson Tayte)
The Last Queen of England: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #3 (Jefferson Tayte)

3.0 out of 5 stars Jefferson Tayte for the next Doctor Who, 24 Aug 2013
As one who loved 'In the Blood', I have to say that I was rather disappointed by 'The Last Queen of England'.

It had great potential and started off really well but I have to say it got progressively less believable in a number of respects, but not least because the number of 'lives' that Jefferson Tayte has must make him a candidate to be a Time Lord. I also had fun picturing an unfit, overweight 40 year old jumping up from a motorbike crash then running a few hundred metres...

The geneaology is still good, ideas behind the books great - I'd love to see the author focus more on these and cut down on the far fetched 'Dan Brown stuff'.

Heresy
Heresy
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Climbing on the back of Shardlake?, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Heresy (Kindle Edition)
Having purchased this, it lay unread in my Kindle for a while as I was put off by the 'too obvious' riding on the back of CJ Sansom's Shardlake series. Both the styling of the author's writing name and the consistent choice of single word titles do not appear to be coincidence.
Having said that, Heresy started brilliantly and the central character was sufficiently different from Shardlake to allay my earlier concerns. A five star start did tail off in the later stages, but still an enjoyable read and I will probably be getting more books in the series.

Flight Behaviour
Flight Behaviour
Price: 3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to her best, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: Flight Behaviour (Kindle Edition)
When an author has written a book as good as The Poisonwood Bible, it's really tough to maintain those heights. The Lacuna got close and I think Flight Behaviour just about made it. Its not the sort of book you have to read in one sitting, but Barbara Kingsolver's prose is so rich and meaningful that I frequently found myself doubling back to read a page again for fear of missing anything.

Another real plus for me in this book was the central character, Dellarobia. So many novels have a main character who is untroubled by pressures of time or money and able to pursue a course of action at a whim. Not so Dellarobia - rather a very human character, subject to the budgetary and time pressures of farming and kids.

All in all a great book and in many ways a fable for our times - knocking on the door of my all time top ten.

Black Water Rising
Black Water Rising
by Attica Locke
Price: 6.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Black Water Rising, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: Black Water Rising (Paperback)
The style of this book reminded me very much of Sara Paretsky's VI Warshawski novels (with a black male lawyer instead of a white female PI, with an added strand of black consciousness thrown in).

As a debut novel, it was a powerful start and I look forward to more by Attica Locke.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6