ARRAY(0xa679bdbc)

Any Human Heart
by William Boyd
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Good airport read - if plane delayed, 11 Oct 2010
This review is from: Any Human Heart (Paperback)
Spans virtually the whole twentieth century. is it about a man or a century? I only realised halfway through that Logan is fictititious - one of your Book Club read it all and still had not realised. The events he walks through and the people he meets are often real. Could he really have fitted so much into one life? Sometimes you think Boyd is indulging himself in trying to fit in so many and issues.
But we rated it generally a good read in our discussion.

The Calligrapher's Daughter
The Calligrapher's Daughter
by Eugenia Kim
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Calligrapher's Daughter - an excellent read, 17 Aug 2010
I only read this because it was a book club choice, but I was impressed. In fact, I couldn't put it down after a while. The author uses her parents' experiences as a foundation to the story. It made me think about Korea for the first time and determined to find out more about it. Now the news items from Korea are beginning to make more sense. The humility of the main character, Najin, and presumably of the author, shines through. The only puzzle I have still not resolved is why she feels ashamed at the harm her application to go to America does to her family when she is basically going because her husband (of a marriage arranged by her parents) is going. I can only assume that she feels guilt because she finds she loves him and above all because she thinks it will give her a chance to continue her medical studies. I did not realise how strong christianity was in Korea at the turn of the 19th to 20th century and that is making me rethink my ideas on missionary work as there is no doubt that the church is a very positive part of their lives. I would recommend it to anyone as a good, non-sentimental read on a very important subject.