Profile for G. Franklin > Reviews

Content by G. Franklin

G. Franklin "bikerben" (Essex England)

Page: 1 | 2
OF39 - Oxford Boss Disc Lock Yellow
OF39 - Oxford Boss Disc Lock Yellow
Offered by Worthitstore
Price: 37.89

5.0 out of 5 stars ... what the hassle of an insurance claim can be like. This lock is easy to use and looks ..., 26 Nov 2013
I am very security conscious as I know what the hassle of an insurance claim can be like. This lock is easy to use and looks the business. It is approved by insurance companies so should get you a discount. The U bar only just goes through the holes in my VFR800's disc so check before you buy. I don't see the point of the metal carry bracket - the lock lives in my tank bag when not in use. Of course, no lock will stop a determined thief but this should discourage the casual scrote.

Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black
Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black
Offered by Take a Bite
Price: 47.47

5.0 out of 5 stars This does what it says on the tin. Out ..., 26 Nov 2013
This does what it says on the tin. Out the box, plug it in and download my stuff onto it. Potential problem? It's so small I forget where I left it!

BoxWave Huawei Ascend W1 BodySuit, Premium Textured TPU Rubber Gel Skin Case - Huawei Ascend W1 Cases and Covers (Jet Black)
Offered by BoxWave Corporation
Price: 6.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Good grip. On off button takes more effort to ..., 26 Nov 2013
Lovely fit. Good grip. On off button takes more effort to prod but that means no unfortunate trouser errors and photos of your pocket.

Harry's War
Harry's War
Price: 7.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Harry's War (Kindle Edition)
This is a pretty awesome read. When I finished it I felt I had really been there and my respect for those soldiers was unbounded. Talk about mud, blood and bullets!

Epson WorkForce WF-2530WF Ultra compact and reliable 4-in-1 for the small office printer with Wifi and AirPrint
Price: 66.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Does it all!, 18 Nov 2013
OK, well I am not so savvy with IT these days but decided that with a house full of computers, netbooks, smart phones etc we ought to update from our trusty Epson DX4000. Room being tight the ability to stick this wireless device anywhere really appealed.
Setting up was not quite so easy as I though it would be - you need to connect to a computer to install the software and get the printer recognised so if you have no USB cable you are going to be irritated to say the least. I connected it fairly straightforwardly to the Windows 8 machine after the computer went to the Epson site and downloaded the drivers it needed. Once connected it printed beautifully - and quickly!
Next I tried to connect to a netbook running a cutdown version of Windows 7 and a proper laptop with Windows 7. The laptop was happy to take the CD and install everything from that but the netbook has no CD drive so it took a while longer and many error messages to get it working but in the end it did.
The big surprise for me was how easily the printer was detected, software sought and installed on my little netbook running Ubuntu Linux. About five minutes max!
The remote printing by email looks neat - the printer has its own email address via Epson and I presume it prints emails or attachments or whatever. Yet to try it out.
The only negative to the printer - and one I think it shares with other makes - is that using non official ink invalidates your warranty and may well screw the printer. The cartridges are electronically tagged.
So, five stars for now but if it goes wrong tomorrow I'll be sure to update!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2013 9:20 AM GMT

In My Life
In My Life
Price: 6.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful music, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: In My Life (MP3 Download)
Gina gave me a copy of this after I told her how much I liked her version of Kellswater. It was so haunting it almost made this 15 stone biker cry! She has a wide variety of musical talents which are well displayrd on this CD - and if you get a chance to see her live - take it! Overall, very highly recommended.

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi [Previous Generation]

5.0 out of 5 stars Does more than you think, 1 July 2013
My wife bought me this for my birthday. As a motorcyclist it is useful to be able to bring a lot of reading in a small package when I go touring. Very impressed by the clarity of the screen and the fact it included two dictionaries (handy for crosswords!) I also figured out, using the Amazon website, how to download copyright free books which is nice. Unexpected was the inclusion of an experimental browser. Although limited by the black and white screen it does allow you to do email and look at Google etc. If this was the 3g version I assume it might be able to function as a basic sat nav.
The only major downside with a Kindle that I can foresee is the the fact that it is SO easy to buy books! Also, next time around I might buy the 3g version as when on holiday in a remote part of Wales I could not find any wi fi to download new material. A final point is that you do need to buy a cover, otherwise it feels very vulnerable in your bag (screen may be tough as old boots but why take the risk) Luckily my wife bought me a faux James Bond book cover which looks excellent!

Etymotic MC5 In-Ear Earphones - Red
Etymotic MC5 In-Ear Earphones - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 5 Jun 2013
Bought these to replace my old Etymotics ER5is which are no longer made. Third pair so that tells you how much I like them. I wear them most of the time on my motorbike either just as ear defenders or to listen to music on boring runs. There is a choice of ear fitments with them so you should find something comfortable - all ears are very individual! You can also go to an approved ear clinic and get made to measure fitments - might do this if I ever have the time/money. My first two pairs wore out through a bike related issue - the cables frayed in the wind, rubbing against my leathers. I now take more care routing the cables so they might last better. Sound reproduction seems fine to me - I can hear music clearly at motorway speeds. I couldn't tell you whether they are technically as good as a more expensive set but they are good enough for my purposes. They are reasonably priced by my reckoning - you get your moneys worth.

Andrew Lloyd Webber: The Royal Albert Hall Celebration [DVD] [1998]
Andrew Lloyd Webber: The Royal Albert Hall Celebration [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Tina Arena
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic mix, 18 Feb 2012
If you like ALW then you will love this DVD. The range of artists performing on it is amazing - Glen Close being a real eye opener!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 12 Feb 2011
I just wanted a light pair of trainers to pack in by rucsac for evening where when travelling and these are perfect - very light and extremely comfortable.

Page: 1 | 2