Profile for Dr Glenn Fulcher > Reviews

Content by Dr Glenn Fulcher

Dr Glenn Fulcher (Leicester, United Kingdom)

Radio Controlled Clock TFA 98.1087
Radio Controlled Clock TFA 98.1087

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for use outside Germany, 25 Feb 2012
When I ordered this it didn't occur to me that there would be problems outside the German time zone. For it to work in the UK (or other time zones) you have to change the time manually, so there's no point in having a radio controlled clock. However, the clock then has a habit of automatically resetting itself to the atomic clock in Frankfurt. The instruction booklet is less than useless when trying to overcome these problems.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2013 11:24 AM GMT

XMI X-Mini II 2nd Generation Capsule Speaker for iPhone/iPad/iPod/MP3 Player/Laptop - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Fantastic, 28 May 2011
I now have three of these. One of them lives in my rucksack so I can plug my iPod in when travelling. The other two are linked together in the kitchen so I can listen to the radio with better quality sound while cooking. I also practice guitar quite a lot. I've now abandoned my bulky amplifier and put the guitar through a Boss MicroBR amp straight into the two in the kitchen. It's loud enough for me, and the quality is actually better than the amp I used to lug around the house. For the price and the size these are just unbeatable, and when you start linking them together they get even better. I suspect my collection is likely to grow!

Most Relaxing Guitar Album in
Most Relaxing Guitar Album in

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Background Music, 28 May 2011
I bought this album for one track: The Girl with the Flaxen Hair by Debussy (second track on the first side) because I'm learning to play it and didn't have a guitar recording to listen to along with the sheet music. It doesn't disappoint. A great interpretation. The rest of this double CD is also enjoyable, and I may get the sheet music for one or two other pieces as well. I didn't think the McCartney and Lennon tracks were that good. Didn't quite fit in with overall feel of the album. It makes good background music rather than something I would concentrate on, and in the evening it can be soporific rather than relaxing. But it's a good addition to anyone's collection of guitar music - especially for the Debussy track alone!

Duronic SP400 Smart-Pointer (Red/Chrome) 2.4Ghz RF Wireless Presenter with Mouse Function and Laser Pointer + 2 Years Warrantee
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for Lectures and Seminars, 4 Jan 2011
I bought one of these last semester to use in my lectures and seminars. In my University many of the computers are often located at the side of the room where I don't want to be, and those that aren't are positioned directly in front of the projector. This means that as you change slides your head obscures the screen, and you periodically get blinded. I also like to wander around the room as I talk, and sometimes want to draw students' attention to particular parts of a Powerpoint presentation. All of this helps encourage interaction. This gadget makes all the movement possible without having to dart back to a fixed point all the time. You can control the slides from anywhere in a large lecture theatre, and use the pointer at will. It also has a useful control switch that allows you to switch back into 'mouse mode' in order to launch embedded video or audio, scroll around web pages and so on, and then switch back to slide mode. It works straight out of the packet, and doesn't require any technical knowledge at all. Note that the part of this product that looks like a flash drive is in fact just a dongle that has to be fitted to a USB drive on the computer. Your Powerpoint files have to be on a flash drive, or stored on the computer's hard drive. I have come across one or two lecturers who couldn't work out why their computer wouldn't recognize their new flash drive! This model also comes with a protective case, so you can just pop it into your bag and carry it around whenever you're teaching. It's now become 'standard kit' as far as I'm concerned, and is a great product for the price.

BOSS MICRO-BR recording Multitracks
BOSS MICRO-BR recording Multitracks

5.0 out of 5 stars Micro BR, 27 Dec 2010
Boss Micro BR Multi Track Recorder

I've been using this recorder for a couple of years now, and it is still the best piece of kit on the market for the price. It is highly versatile for any guitarist who wishes to record and layer multiple tracks for practice or writing their own music. The rhythm section is excellent, allowing you to create your own intros, outros, and middle sections with ease. You do need to be able to count bars to do this, of course. The reason why you can't record the rhythm to a separate track (a fault in the view of one or two reviewers) is that this would remove tracks available for the final mastering, which you don't want on a recorder of this size. In mastering you only have four tracks available. I normally record on two at once (stereo), which means I can play the backing track, and the lead. The rhythm is then played separately. If you want to do a bass line either the backing or the lead then has to be in mono.

The BR also comes with a whole range of Boss effects, which you can edit and save. These are great if you're travelling and just want to take the BR with you, and a pair of headphones. The effects can be turned off when you're at home and if, like me, you put your guitar through a number of boss pedals before plugging everything into the micro BR. The output can go to headphones, an amp, or just a really good pair of stereo laptop speakers.

When you've recorded a track you can master it (10 presets available - all editable), and then save as either WAV or MP3, and export to your computer to use as you wish. The sound quality is excellent in both formats.

There simply are no downsides to a recording studio at this price, with so many features. Reviewers who criticize it for not being able to record multiple tracks simultaneously and so on really need to realize that if they're playing with a band you do need a much larger and more expensive piece of kit with many more tracks available. But for the amateur musician who wishes to record and process tracks separately, this is a perfect solution.