Profile for D. Hooper > Reviews

Content by D. Hooper

D. Hooper "IT Consultant" (Durham, England)

Elite: Reclamation (Elite: Dangerous)
Elite: Reclamation (Elite: Dangerous)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really properly good science fiction, 13 Jun. 2014
I'll admit to being a big fan of the Elite Universe for the last 30 years but I'm also a great science-fiction fan so I know what a good book feels like. I'll say right now that this really is a properly good science fiction book whether you're an Elite fan or not (why not!?)

Drew has struck that perfect balance between characters and plot which is key to a great novel. The cast is very varied with heroes and villains aplenty but you spend most of the novel willing all of them to succeed as you feel you really know them all. You know the why of what they are trying to do because you understand them, you feel for their every failure and enjoy their every success.

This cast is then involved in a complicated and yet beautifully choreographed dance through the stars. It takes us through the full range of action, suspense, politics, humour, a bit of gore, surprise, double crosses (or are they?), epic space battles, sword fights, remorse and retribution. In short it has everything you could wish for in a space opera.

So please buy this book and then go and buy the game so that you can make your own adventure in the Elite universe!

Elite: Mostly Harmless (Elite: Dangerous)
Elite: Mostly Harmless (Elite: Dangerous)

5.0 out of 5 stars full of surprises!, 9 Jun. 2014
I don't quite know where to start this review as Mostly Harmless manages to pack so much in. Its got comedy, gore, surrealism, action, adventure, technology, plot twists, genuine warmth, a tight crew of great characters and more.

Our hapless hero races about from disaster to calamity all the while trying really hard to do the right thing whilst trying to decide what is the right thing? And what does she want to do with her.life anyway?

Meanwhile she gets shot at, tied up, drinks too much, humiliated, conned, tricked, rescued and not surprisingly after all that told off by her parents!

I think the best compliment I can pay is it's what would happen if the (sadly) late Rik Mayall had been cast by Douglas Adams and told to go and get into trouble in space.

Please go and buy this book - you'll love it

Elite: Lave Revolution (Elite: Dangerous)
Elite: Lave Revolution (Elite: Dangerous)

4.0 out of 5 stars A fast paced roller-coaster ride through the Elite world, 9 Jun. 2014
I bought this book because it's an Elite book and I enjoy Allen's podcasts on the game. Once I started reading though I was absolutely immersed in the game world which Allen has captured brilliantly.

The story centres around a revolution on Lave but there's so much other stuff going on that you pretty much hang on and enjoy the ride. And great fun that ride is!

I did at times feel slightly confused as to why some things were happening but I'm going to blame that on using my phone as a e-book reader. And then I'm going to re-read it because I'm sure all the clues are there! It is after all a story about secrets and revolution so the reader should expect to have to put a bit of effort in 😊

So all in all a book that is packed full of so action, intrigue, plot, suspense and above all the Elite universe that is a great read

Debug It!: Find, Repair, and Prevent Bugs in Your Code (Pragmatic Programmers)
Debug It!: Find, Repair, and Prevent Bugs in Your Code (Pragmatic Programmers)
by Paul Butcher

5.0 out of 5 stars From debugging to software engineering, 1 Feb. 2010
I started reading this book expecting a few tips on that most difficult aspect of programming - debugging that impossible to find bug.

After a few pages it became clear that it's not written in the usual dry textbook manner as Paul's friendly, informative and frequently entertaining style covers the subject at a perfectly balanced pace.

Even as an experienced software engineer I found the book added many more tools to my debugging armoury. Further to this it also reminded me of many things I'd forgotten, usually by means of an anecdote that was both insightful and entertaining.

Despite it's excellence as a book for the older coder, its manner is also perfectly suited to novice programmers. Each technique is clearly explained in a practical way with advice on when to use it in a way that empowers the reader. It is then followed by techniques on how to prevent the bug (and similar bugs) reoccurring.

However, perhaps the book's greatest achievement is that the above style results in it covering the majority of modern software engineering practice by demonstrating that each part is simply the most sensible way to keep bugs out of your code. On reflection this may seem obvious, after all, software engineering is the practice of creating reliable programs without bugs. But to cover all this ground so clearly in 232 pages without once rushing, or patronising, such a wide range of readers is a remarkable achievement.

I will be recommending Debug It! to all my department - experienced and beginner alike. I will also be rereading it regularly as it made me want to get out there and get cracking to write great code!