Profile for Kuma > Reviews

Content by Kuma

Kuma "kuma" (Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Tomorrow's Harvest [VINYL]
Tomorrow's Harvest [VINYL]

2.0 out of 5 stars A lazy way to spend 8 years, 19 Jun 2013
This review is from: Tomorrow's Harvest [VINYL] (Vinyl)
The way I see this, the last two albums made BoC enough cash to live for 8 years without doing anything. So they can take eight more years off they have tried to produce something very safe, a product as similar to the previous ones as possible. Unfortunately it sounds bland and uninspired. It sounds like Warp told them just put a few tracks down in an afternoon and let our marketing guys take care of business and it will sell shedloads. Unfortunately it will not work so effectively in 2021 when they try to pull this off again, an album as disappointing as this one you don't forget in a hurry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2013 10:42 PM BST

SPIGEN SGP Screen Protector Steinheil Ultra Crystal for Samsung Galaxy S4
SPIGEN SGP Screen Protector Steinheil Ultra Crystal for Samsung Galaxy S4
Offered by Spigen UK Store

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality seems good but application is difficult, 16 May 2013
I seem to sit in the middle of the other reviewers; on my previous phone I bought a 10 pack of screen protectors for a similar price and used 2 of them, so this time I thought it would be sensible to buy a smaller number of better quality ones. I chose this brand as I read quite a few reviews and general consensus out there was this was the best brand you could buy.

Quality of overall package seemed very good; however when you come to apply the screen protector if you get it slightly out of line you have to scratch it up and start again... then some tiny speck of dust have got on the inside, you have to scratch it up (damaging the edge by now), get the dust off, put it back with more dust on, end up scratching the back getting the new dust off, finally quit trying to get it right leaving it aligned a little off.

I'm hoping applying the second one will be a little easier after this practice run...

** A follow up on this; I found a 2 pack of similar looking screen protectors in Poundland so I thought I'd try those out, after a few days that one was showing wear with one particular harsh looking scratch against it, so it seems there is a difference in quality.

Macbook 13 inch decal sticker Doraemon art for Apple Laptop
Macbook 13 inch decal sticker Doraemon art for Apple Laptop
Offered by Cozee

5.0 out of 5 stars Also fits 15" Macbook Retina, 25 April 2013
Looks very cool, an easy way to make your Macbook more interesting! Fits perfectly over the Apple logo to look like Doraemon is having a snack!

Garmin nuvi 2545LMT 5" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of junk, 25 Mar 2013
I've had a Tom Tom for 5 years and was annoyed by several things - its 15 minute battery life, them wanting £80 to update the maps (probably more than the unit cost originally!) and its ability to get totally confused when something goes wrong such as a road closure. Its out of date maps and failing touch screen meant it was due to be replaced. So I replaced my old Tom Tom with a new Garmin 2545 satnav for my driving holiday in France/Belgium which had the big advantage of lifetime maps. This was a big mistake. I should have known it would be a problem when it would not find either my home address, my work address and the address I live at when at work (though it did find addresses I knew were within a few minutes on a street close by); my 5 year old Tom Tom finds all except one that was built after its maps were made without problems (and that it does come very close to)! Other local addresses seemed to confuse it and when navigating to a street it could find it would generally only have a small number of addresses listed. Seaerching a Garmin forum it suggested reinstalling maps as there could be corruption, but that had no affect whatsoever. In France it proved itself more of a pain! Struggling to find addresses it seemed to have a preference for dirt tracks rather than roads and at one of the places we stayed decided it should be on a dirt track a mile away that was blocked with an old bus (address was actually on the main road and easy to locate when we dug out the 5 year old Tom Tom). Another thing is it doesn't seem to understand the concept of a U-turn, it will have you drive 10 miles to a roundabout if you make a mistake!?! Last straw was when its confused directions took us onto a 25km toll road when we were close to our destination - which required 3 more tolls to get back to where it had screwed up. We pulled off the road and it still wanted us to go back down the 25km toll road. The old Tom Tom told us to turn right at the roundabout then left as the new Garmin protested telling us to go back, and lo and behold Beaumont-en-Auge, our destination was signposted 4km away. The Garmin was still sending us back to the toll road!!! It went back in the box, was returned when we were back in England and was replaced (at further cost unfortunately) with a new Tom Tom (that comes with lifetime maps too due to some special promotion).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2013 2:21 AM BST

At The BBC
At The BBC

3.0 out of 5 stars A little too much for one box set...., 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: At The BBC (Audio CD)
There is some great stuff here. However, it seems like every other track is another version of You Really Got Me or All Day And All Of The Night or Lola! Towards the later part of the box set it all seems done to formula, as if they have played these songs a thousand times and no longer need to try or care or both. The decision to keep the BBC interviews here is bound to give a few laughs, who'd have thought that before they had the yes-indeedy school of sensationalist radio presenters they had Queen's English types discussing if modern girls prefer boys with shaggy hair or moustaches and whether the chaps would like to do some concerts in America.

Classic Cuts Collection: Musicals Box Set [DVD]
Classic Cuts Collection: Musicals Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Doris Day

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite 4 classic musicals!, 25 Jan 2013
There is only one film here that could qualify as a classical musical, Fred and Ginger's Top Hat, and the reason I bought this box set, as it was cheaper than buying the film on its own.

The other three are less classic, the best being a minor Fred Astaire picture which scores okay for its comedy, its music less so.

The worst is Cover Girl, it seems to try so hard, but Rita Hayworth is totally unconvincing and comes across more as a somewhat slow-witted drag queen than a cover girl; some grimace inducing songs from Ira Gershwin and wooden performances from Gene Kelly, Phil Silvers and pretty much anyone else in the picture put the final nails in the coffin.

Lover Come Back is a bizarre choice for this box set, seeing as as it is not a musical and far from classic. Its like an American version of a Carry On film, though Rock and Doris add a little more class than Sid and Babs would bring.

GLASSEN (Black) Double Walled Heatproof Glass (Hand Made) Travel Mug with Silicone Grip and lid- Larger capacity 425 ml, 15 fl. oz capacity

4.0 out of 5 stars No plastic taste, but does taste rubbery!, 24 Nov 2012
I drink a lot of coffee and have had a plastic travel mug that keeps it warm as people tend to appear or call when I plan to relax and drink it which otherwise would leave it cold. Nice idea but it tastes a little plasticky! I had a look around and there are either plastic ones or metallic ones, both are which are going to give a little taste off. So I looked around for a glass one and eventually found this one. Since it appears to be the only glass one in existence I'll give it 4 stars but if I had a choice it would probably get less! The glass doesn't keep the coffee warm too long (but does have a pleasant warmth on a cold day!) and the lid is made of rubber which tastes rubbery (and is very difficult to put on!) but if you take the lid off while you drink its fine (and lets face it, drinking through that little slit in the lid is kind of silly anyway!)

Last Shop Standing: Whatever Happened to Record Shops?
Last Shop Standing: Whatever Happened to Record Shops?
by Graham Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Nov 2012
I was expecting something a little more... academic, serious at least. The book is a series of reminisces of a failed band manager, record shop assistant and successful record company rep (and not a particularly good writer) which unless you were there are not particularly exciting or funny. I've quit reading it half way through but it seems to be progressing along very repetitive lines and I feel I know how it will progress through the other half. Generally this is what you get: the writer mentions some scenario (at least a quarter way in he starts talking about record shops!), slaps a few backs, gives a potted history of his chosen shop, tell a story usually about someone eccentric who comes into a record shop (a smelly person, a lady who only buys CDs with birds on the cover etc), tells a story about someone asking for something in a funny way, plugs his distribution company, says he hopes this will be one of the last shops standing, repeats ad infinitum or so it seems. Like someone else said, I really wanted to like this book but it completely disappoints.

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Intel Quad Core i7 2.3GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB Flash Memory, HD Graphics 4000, 1GB GeForce GT 650M, OS X Lion)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 3 Nov 2012
Nice display, good build quality as usual (I still have a 5 year old MacBook that I use, but since I spend most of my time on the road its nice to have something with a bit more processing power). Retina screen looks great, at full res can be a little hard on the eyes as the text can get pretty small. Had no real problems after a month of use.

My only gripe is the lack of external connections. Two USBs is pretty limited, particularly because it has no built in DVD and it is likely if you use any kind of CD or DVD you'll end up with one of these, and with the limited internal memory you're going to use an external drive. I also have a USB external wireless broadband dongle so already I'm having to pack a USB hub! You have two Thunderbolt connections which sounds fabulous, but realistically what is available is overpriced, cheapest external disc you can get is nearly £200 with cable for 500GB and you'll get the same speed as USB3.0 out of that as you're limited by the speed of the HDD - you'll pay less than £50 for a similar USB so why bother!?! Nice of Apple to make it future proof but it seems Thunderbolt has been around a year and no real reduction in cost in Thunderbolt hardware...

Still I'm pretty happy with it. I did also buy an AppleCare package with it, there is nothing user serviceable and everything is sealed and soldered onto the main board, if this fails it is going to be very expensive to fix so definitely worth thinking about!

Battle Royale 2: Requiem [DVD] [2003]
Battle Royale 2: Requiem [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Tatsuya Fujiwara
Offered by TwoRedSevens

2.0 out of 5 stars Not particularly impressive, 23 Oct 2012
Despite the bad reviews I loved BR and curiosity and the low secondhand price got the better of me. Unfortunately it lives down to its dismal reviews! The first thing you notice is the over the top Hollywood orchestral score which is probably the only thing you will really notice! Its big problem is there is nothing to engage you, there is little characterisation of any note, and you can't quite figure out what it is meant to be about anyway. The survivor from the first film Shuya, now a leader of terrorist children which the competitors have been sent to battle, is particularly bad - whereas I'm sure the script is meant to portray him as being deep and meaningful he comes across as a bit of a sissy who seems to have just taken some sleeping pills and changed his mind. There is meant to be some kind of subtext about USA being mean and nasty to Afghanistan but I'm not sure what exactly they are meant to be saying. Its not totally a big yawn, but its like watching someone play a violent video game for 2 hours...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12