Profile for banana_milkshake > Reviews

Memoirs Of A Geisha
Memoirs Of A Geisha
by Arthur Golden

3.0 out of 5 stars sweet!, 20 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Memoirs Of A Geisha (Paperback)
"Memoirs of a Geisha" is a nice, sweet, little book. I read it in four days. Which is quite quick for me.... It was very easy to read. I don't want to say it's shallow (although it might be..), I would prefer to call it quite unrealistic and dreamlike. I was always reminded that this was a ficticious story by those events that I just can't believe can happen to one person. But as long as I knew that, it was a very enjoyable read. I especially enjoyed the parts where the heroine gets bullied by a senior geisha and plans all those different kinds of little revenge. Honestly, which girl wouldn't?? I don't know much about geishas but I loved the descriptions of the japanese culture. It is quite obvious that Golden spent so many years researching about this topic!
I was recommended this book by a friend who loves Bridget Jones. And now I can see why she also loves this book! It is a very romantic story. I can't say why, but for me it was even a bit cheesy. It is actually quite hard to believe that a man wrote it!
So, if you want something light-hearted but not (too) shallow, I would definitely recommend this!

The Cat Returns [DVD]
The Cat Returns [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hiroyuki Morita

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for kids!... I guess..., 31 Jan. 2006
This review is from: The Cat Returns [DVD] (DVD)
When I first watched this film, it was in a cinema a few years ago. I love miyazaki hayao's films. I knew that this one was not directed by him but I thought "It can't be that bad! It's still studio ghibli!". Well, it turned out to be quite bad.... At least for a grown-up like I am.
Now, there might be some people who say "Animations are not for grown-ups anyway!". I completely disagree with that. Especially in Japan studio ghibli's films are watched by adults as much as by children. Unfortunately, this film only prooves to those people who think that animations are only for little kids that they are right...
I am not saying that this is a bad film. I think children will be delighted to watch it. But for adults the story and the visuals are much too simple. To me it looks like a lunch-time tv film.
I still love "My neihgbour Totoro" and other great films from my childhood, which prooves that I myself love quite childish films. But they are all still classics whereas this one is just too shallow and will be most probably be forgotten in a few years.
So I guess the rating depends on who you want to buy this film for. For children I would probably give it four stars. But I personally expect studio ghibli films to be enjoyed by adults too. That's why I am only giving it two stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2010 6:04 PM BST

Springtime In A Small Town [2003] [DVD]
Springtime In A Small Town [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jingfan Hu
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch it!, 28 Nov. 2005
I just wanted to add a comment because I think this film deserves so much more attention!I liked this film. It is very quiet and slow but there is this tension from between the woman and her husbands friend (and her former boyfriend), and the emotions expressed more through the acting and not so much through words. You can't help but feel for all the characters.

The Secret History
The Secret History
by Donna Tartt

1.0 out of 5 stars ZZZzzzzzzz..........., 8 Nov. 2005
This review is from: The Secret History (Paperback)
I am very sorry for those people who loved this book but I thought it was really boring. It happens very rarely that I feel like not finishing a book. With this one, it happened. I still read it just because I was hoping that it would get more interesting towards the end. But it didn't.
I bought this book because my friend who loved one of my favourite books recommended it to me. I was very disappointed. Especially because I had heard that Donna Tartt had spent years to write this story. I guess she tried too hard. It is supposed to be a gripping story about a few students who murder one of their friends. I think it would have been a good story if Donna Tartt hadn't focused too much on the people but on the plot. It just made it too long and slow. It is definitely not fast-paced! But if you've read and liked "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" (which I didn't like either....) and are interested in human behaviour and thoughtful reading this book might be the one for you.

The Cheese Monkeys: A Novel in Two Semesters
The Cheese Monkeys: A Novel in Two Semesters
by Chip Kidd

5.0 out of 5 stars you wont be able not to laugh, 28 July 2004
this is the best book ive ever read.it is also the only book i couldnt stop myself grinning widely while reading it in public. it is hilarious. the kind of humour you get by exaggerating scary or embarrassing experiences with a completely serious face. in fact the whole story pushes reality just a little bit. i dont think that you will ever find such extraordinary people like winter sorbeck, dottie (the life drawing teacher, who pours a pitcher of water on her cat, which runs completely wild, so that her students can practise gesture drawings) and himillsy (who is fascinated by this) in one single place.... and yet it is so believable. the not-knowing what you want from life, not having a dream, desperately wanting to find yourself...
this book is so rich in colours, expressions, thoughts and ideas that when i finished reading it, my own life seemed so boring and dull. i can only agree with himillsy: "why cant life be interesting?"
this is not only an inspiring book for art and design students. i am recommending it to everyone who crosses my way.