Profile for Richard Hughes > Reviews

Content by Richard Hughes

Richard Hughes (United Kingdom)

Raise Your Game Now!
Raise Your Game Now!
by Paul Stalker

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding life coaching!, 24 May 2008
This review is from: Raise Your Game Now! (Paperback)
This book is excellent in both the content and the delivery; you will gain a lot from reading it. Starting with a bit about Paul and a very motivating true story that gives most people hope, it then goes into how you can raise your game. With chapters on motivation, facing fear, your health, showing gratitude, taking responsibility, effective communication, developing strengths and then developing an overall game plan (goal setting), the book covers a lot of ground. However, this doesn't make it superficial. On the contrary, everything fits together really well.

What I like about this book is the way that it has been written with short stories and (supposedly) real life characters. It makes the book more interesting, and you associate with the people in it and recognise when you have acted in similar ways. I wouldn't say the content is totally original. The health section is like Skinny Bitch condensed into a couple of chapters (Skinny Bitch is a book about eating healthy and as a side effect, losing weight) and the chapter on communication covers elements of neuro-linguistic programming and Men are from Mars. There are however some very original ideas in the book which I found very enlightening. The main thing about Raise Your Game though is the inspired way it is written. You just can't help but feel compelled into taking action, and that's exactly what any good motivational book should do!

So how has this book changed me?
- I have changed my diet to eating more fresh salads and reducing caffeinated coffee (I still have a way to go on this).
- I am focusing a lot on my posture, as that has a huge bearing on how you feel.
- For a situation where I was nervous a few days ago, I used a technique to expel nerves which worked successfully.
- I have a greater understanding of my girlfriend (or at least some of her traits and motivations), and have subsequently started acting differently towards her which is already paying dividends.
- I have written down a number of goals in several areas of my life. This was something I have planned to do for a while, but finally got round to. Time will tell how effective this is.

Throughout the book there are a number of tips and techniques you will start applying immediately, and many small changes can have significant effect. In summary, a great book, really inspiring, and really worth the read!

P2P: How Peer-to-peer Technology is Revolutionizing the Way We Do Business
P2P: How Peer-to-peer Technology is Revolutionizing the Way We Do Business
by Hassan M. Fattah

5.0 out of 5 stars Written with guenuine enthusiasm and many issues raised., 1 April 2002
This book is extremely easy and interesting to read because it is full of innovative ideas rather than technical jargon. It is obvious that the author has a genuine passion for P2P technology, but he does not over sell it. He makes the implications of P2P, and its limitations, very clear.
While writing my dissertation on peer-to-peer technology in a business context, I was a little worried that it would write the dissertation for me. However, the book has actually laid out the foundations for me to build on. It asks many questions, and gives many specific examples of where companies have used P2P to provide solutions.
I highly recommend this book.