Profile for Bob > Reviews

The Bible - Thomas [2001] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Danny Quinn
Offered by Home Entertainment Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost completely not Biblical, 8 April 2012
If you want a biblical account of what we know about the life of Thomas, then DON'T buy this DVD! The film began just after the death of Jesus and finished shortly after the resurrection appearances of Jesus. Most of the film was about events that could have happened (but are unlikely!) but for which the bible is silent, and some of the film had events that go against the biblical accounts. Therefore the film contained very little that is recorded in the bible. I would say that for someone who does not know their bible very well it was very confusing and mis-leading as most of it was the wild and vivid imagination of the script-writer, very little of it was biblical and some parts were plain unbiblical.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2013 8:43 PM GMT

Total Forgiveness: Achieving God's Greatest Challenge
Total Forgiveness: Achieving God's Greatest Challenge
by R.T. Kendall

5.0 out of 5 stars The book to read if you are not sure if you have forgiven someone, 10 Feb. 2012
We have probably all been hurt by somebody sometime and sometimes those hurts run really deep. We may think we have forgiven that person one day and then the next day something happens and resentful thoughts start popping up again. We then begin to question ourselves whether we have really forgiven that person or not. What I loved about RT Kendall's book was that he really addresses this issue. He sees forgiveness as an on-going process and that we will battle with it from time to time, but that it ok. If you want to forgive someone and are not sure how to go about it or are not sure whether you have forgiven them, then I would highly recommend this book - it is very real, relevant and Biblical.

When God Says Well Done!
When God Says Well Done!
by R. T. Kendall

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 10 Feb. 2012
I have read various books by RT Kendall because I generally like his writing, but I was disappointed by this book. The theme for it is good; the book is subtitled "Running to win the prize". A lot of the book looks at the importance of building a lasting superstructure of gold, silver and costly stones (rather than of wood, hay and straw) on the foundation of Jesus. RT Kendall stresses that salvation is through faith in Christ alone (the foundation), but that it is important for Christians to be living godly lives (the superstructure) so that when we come to the Judgment Day God will say "Well done" to us and reward us accordingly. I think it is a doctrine sometimes neglected within our churches today and therefore, for this reason, it is good that RT Kendall addresses this issue. Having said that this is an important doctrine for Christians to look at today, I found the book too long and repetitive. RT Kendall could have said what he wanted to in about a quarter of the pages. I managed to persevere to the end of the book and read it all, but it was hard going!

Autobegood - Fruits Of The Spirit [DVD] [Region 0]
Autobegood - Fruits Of The Spirit [DVD] [Region 0]
Dvd ~ Gary Meyer

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing about God in this DVD - it's all about morals, 8 Feb. 2012
I was bitterly disappointed with this DVD. It was marketed as a "Faith Collection" DVD with the title "Fruits of the Spirit" - a quote from the book of Galatians in the Bible. However, I would not say that this DVD was a Christian DVD at all, rather it is about the importantance of having good morals, which would equally apply to most religions and most people. If you want a DVD to teach your children morals, then it is fine, but if you want a DVD to teach your child anything about Christianity and what the Bible means by the Fruit of the Spirit, then don't bother with this DVD - it doesn't even begin to do this!

Jesus & Friends 3 DVD Box Set
Jesus & Friends 3 DVD Box Set
Offered by thebookcommunity

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst DVDs ever! Fit only for the bin!, 9 Jan. 2012
I was hugely disappointed with this DVD set. I had a look at 3 of the stories and the presentation of the stories is so boring that it is enough to put anyone off the Bible! The stories are narrated and the words come up at the top of the screen. There are very few pictures - there will be one picture and the camera will zoom in on one aspect of the picture and zoom out again and then zoom in on another aspect of the picture etc. Eventually, you may get a second picture! I strongly recommend do not buy these DVDs! There are lots of good children's Bible stories DVDs - buy one of them instead!

Enjoying the Presence of God: Discovering Intimacy with God in the Daily Rhythms of Life (Spiritual Formation Study Guides)
by Jan Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars This book encouraged me to pray, 1 Jan. 2012
I think that Christians all too often think that prayer is boring, that prayer is something we HAVE to do as Christians and so we do it out of a sense of duty - or not bother with it much at all. If that is the case for you, then this book may revolutionise or kick-start your prayer life. This book showed me so much that talking to God and spending time with him is something to be ENJOYED rather than endured and it has had a positive practical effect in my own walk with God. I thought the book was so good that I bought a couple of extra copies to lend out to people. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. May God speak to you and bless you through it.

The Bible - Jacob [1995] [DVD]
The Bible - Jacob [1995] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew Modine

3.0 out of 5 stars The DVD is rated as as 12 on the disc., 10 Nov. 2011
The DVD case says the film is a PG, but on the disc itself it is shown as a 12 rating! I bought this DVD to show under 12 year olds, so was not able to show it to them. I haven't watched much of the film so am unable to properly comment on its content - I just wanted to warn people that the DVD is actually rated as a 12 on the disc rather than a PG, in case other people were thinking of buying it to show younger children.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2014 9:59 PM BST