Profile for R. Reffin > Reviews

Content by R. Reffin

R. Reffin (Glasgow)

YONGNUO YN-560 II ELECTRONIC SPEEDLIGHT SPEEDLITE FLASH FLASHGUN With The Standard Hot Shoe for Nikon , Canon , Fuji , Olympus , Pentax , DSLR Digital Camera by eimo
Offered by EachShot

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and robust, 16 Oct 2013
I really like this flash. I use it as a backup to my SB700 and use it in situations where loss (either due to damage or theft) is possible.

It's really easy to use and the display is nice and bright, which is good as I am long-sighted.

I often use it with a remote trigger and, whilst it doesn't trigger quite as reliably as my SB700, does a good enough job for me.

It's also very robust. Due to the way the flash is attached to light-stands it has fallen off a few times (hence the 4 stars rather than 5) and the last time this happened it fell down an embankment, bounced off several rocks, and then landed in a river at the top of a waterfall. Eventually I managed to fish it out and, after a lengthy drying session, found that it still worked :)

Pixel CL-DC0 2.5mm Coiled Connecting Cable for Nikon DSLR
Pixel CL-DC0 2.5mm Coiled Connecting Cable for Nikon DSLR

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works, 20 April 2013
I'm not sure how to rate a cable but this does exactly what I needed for a fraction of the price of the Nikon cable. I use it a remote shutter release and plan to use it with the Aputure Trigmaster remote flash trigger. So far it has worked perfectly.

Shutter Release Remote Control MC-30 Replacement for Nikon D2H / D300 / D700 / D2 / D3
Offered by Ultra Sales Global (7-23 Business Day Delivery Time)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 April 2013
I've used this for single, multiple and bulb shots and it does the job nicely.

The connector is a nice fit as well - not too tight.

7dayshop USB Mini "All In 1" Universal Multi Card Reader and Writer - Smoke Black - All SD Cards incl. SDHC, SDXC also Micro SDHC, Compact flash, Memorystick, XD etc.
Offered by 7dayshop Limited (VAT Registered)

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete Rubbish, 20 Mar 2013
I hate to type this as I am usually a satisfied 7dayshop customer but avoid this like the plague.
I tried this on 2 different computers (a laptop running Vista and a desktop running Win7) and both complained initially that the driver didn't install correctly.

After a few attempts it seemed to work but then, on using it to read by CF card, it completely corrupted the card :(
8GB of photos than I can't get off the card and can't view except on the camera itself :(
A complete evening of photo-taking ruined.

JJC replacement Nikon HB-31 Bayonet Lens Hood for NIKON AF 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
Offered by Galaxy Electronix

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 19 Mar 2013
I bought this to replace the original lens hood that wouldn't stay on my lens due to a broken lug. When it arrived I was glad to see that it looked and felt just like the original, at a fraction of the price! It fitted my 17-55 lens like a dream and I have since used it on a band shoot without any problems.

GoPro Head Strap Mount
GoPro Head Strap Mount
Offered by meiegouk

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful product but use a lanyard as well, 21 July 2012
This review is from: GoPro Head Strap Mount (Camera)
This is a great accessory for the Go-Pro - I've used it a lot in the last year and a half on kayaks, amusement rides, diving, mountain bikes and a number of other things.

However ..... as I learned yesterday, it is best to use a backup lanyard if doing anything high-impact as my headstrap and Go-Pro 960 is now sitting at the bottom of a very deep loch :(

Concert and Live Music Photography: Pro Tips from the Pit
Concert and Live Music Photography: Pro Tips from the Pit
by J. Dennis Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 5 April 2012
I've taken a few gig photos in the past and received just enough positive feedback that I decided I wanted to know how to do it properly. I bought this book and was glad I did. The range of advice given is excellent, from how to shoot in small, badly lit venues, to large stadiums, through how to get into the photographers pit and all the way to guidance on how to post-process your photos. I read it cover to cover in a couple of days and plan to have a re-read soon. There are plenty of excellent photos to have a look at and each photo had an overview of the camera kit and settings used to learn from. The book is very well written but it wasn't until I saw one of his photos that looked familiar that I realised that I already owned another of his books (the Nikon D3100 Digital Field Guide) so I suppose that make me a fan :)

Update: I still find myself referring to this book on occassion ... in fact I did so this morning!

Supergets® Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Premium Black Top Flip PU Leather Case with Touch Screen Stylus, Screen Protector And Polishing Cloth
Offered by One 2 Three online

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 5 April 2012
I ordered this just a few days ago and it arrived today. The case has a nice solid feel and fits my Galaxy Ace perfectly. For the price it was an excellent buy :)

Finding Stars
Finding Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Very listenable - something here to suit every taste!, 22 Jun 2011
This review is from: Finding Stars (Audio CD)
I discovered Oliver's music when he composed tracks for 2 of my videos ("Reffin's Sunrise" and "Reffin's Rapids"). I was impressed by the quality of the tracks and how well they captured the mood of the films. Since then we have collaborated on "Battles Lost, Wars Won" and "Finding Stars". I often find myself listening to many of his tracks on repeat, especially "Battles Lost, Wars Won" which is my favourite track. His music is skillful and atmospheric often painting a mental picture if the mood is right.

The Beatle Man
The Beatle Man
by Scott M. Liddell

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Stuff, 21 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Beatle Man (Paperback)
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this book from start to finish. The threads are brought together well with some well-placed misdirection adding to the enjoyment. Many of the scenes in Glasgow were nicely familiar and the comedic moments had me chuckling (attracting bemused glances in the coffee shop!)