Profile for NoWireHangers > Reviews

Blubberella [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lindsay Hollister
Offered by SOLVITA
Price: 3.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near as fun as it could (should) have been., 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Blubberella [DVD] (DVD)
This seemed like a fun concept and I was hoping for a fun movie but I was disappointed. There were some funny dialogues but these were way too few and far between and overall the film was nowhere near as funny as it tried to be. It looks like Boll and his cast had a good time making the film but unfortunately I didn't have as good a time watching it.

Evil Angel [DVD]
Evil Angel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ving Rhames
Price: 3.88

4.0 out of 5 stars A positive surprise from the "father of Mormon cinema"., 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: Evil Angel [DVD] (DVD)
"Evil Angel" exeeded my (rather low) expectations. It offered a surprising amount of violence, blood, nudity and profanity; not at all the sort of material I expected from a writer/director best known for mormon drama films (maybe this is why it doesn't seem to have found a distributor in the US). It's a well made horror/mystery/thriller with a good villain, Lilith, well played by several actresses as she takes possession of different bodies. This seems to be the only film appearance by gorgeous leading man Kristopher Shepard. Ving Rhames does a good job as usual as a private detective.

"Evil Angel" was a positive surprise. Recommended for fans of supernatural thrillers.

Sarah: Women of Genisis (Women of Genesis)
Sarah: Women of Genisis (Women of Genesis)
by Orson Scott Card
Price: 4.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Nov 2013
Though I don't agree with anything Orson Scott Card stands for, I bought "Sarah" because reading Genesis, Sarah comes off as cruel and unsympathetic with few if any redeeming qualities. I was interested to see what the author of "Saints", which had a strong heroine, would do with her. Unfortunately, Card didn't succeed very well. This book took me longer to read than "Saints", which is twice as long. The story drags in too many places and the characters are cartoonish, especially Qira. Hagar is cast as a villain in order to explain Sarah's treatment of her. Some parts of the book were better than others but as a whole, not recommended. I will not read ther other "Women of Genesis" books. 2+

Final Warning [DVD] [1995] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Final Warning [DVD] [1995] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Grant R. Jeffrey
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 2.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Same old New World Order conspiracy, 4 Nov 2013
This one hour program presents the same old new world order/Big brother society conspiracy theory we've seen so many times. While the DVD was released in 2008, it was first released on VHS in 1995 so it is very dated. Towards the end, host Grant Jeffrey says all of this was prophecied in the Bible and we should trust in Jesus. Certainly not worth spending money on.

How to Study the Bible (Valuebooks)
How to Study the Bible (Valuebooks)
by Robert M West

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 27 Oct 2013
Priced at $1 or $1.49, you get what you pay for with this book. Considering its title, it has very little "how to"-information. All of the relevant information could be summarized into a 5-10 page article and I'm sure there are lots of articles about this topic online that are much more informative. The rest of the book is mainly a pep talk where the author repeats over and over that you need to study the bible and why. Not recommended, although of course you don't stand to lose a lot of money if you feel the need to check it out anyway.

Blood Of Redemption [DVD]
Blood Of Redemption [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dolph Lundgren
Price: 7.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice cast. Not much else., 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Blood Of Redemption [DVD] (DVD)
Dolph Lundgren leads an impressive (for this type of low budget film) cast that also includes Billy Zane, Robert Miano, Vinnie Jones and Robert Davi. It's nice to see all of them in the same movie, but "Blood of Redemption" doesn't have much else going for it. The story is rather convoluted and never really caught my interest. Although Lundgren's character, Axel, is the narrator and main protagonist, there's a lot of focus on the other characters so we never really get to know him. At times, the filmmakers seemed to try to go for a neo-noir feeling, with mixed results.

Not really recommended, unless you feel you need to watch it to see the actors.

Book of Esther [DVD] [2013] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Book of Esther [DVD] [2013] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Robert Miano
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 6.39

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and redundant, 10 Oct 2013
I'm not sure who this movie is supposed to appeal to. The writing is dull, it looks cheap and the acting is uneven. Robert Miano does okay while Jennifer Lyons (as queen Vashti) does what must be the worst performance I've seen this year. This story has been done before and better. This film may not be terrible, but it's redundant and pointless.

Rope Burns
Rope Burns
by Robert Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Rope Burns, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Rope Burns (Mass Market Paperback)
"Rope Burns" was well-researched with a lot of details. Sometimes the author went into a bit too much detail and strayed from the main subject. There was lots of focus on the crimes of Daveggio's childhood friend Michael Ihde and also a description of the abduction of Jaycee Lee Dugard, because some people suspected Daveggio and Michaud had kidnapped her because Michaud looked similar to the police sketch of Dugard's kidnapper. I also found the ending a bit rushed. There was quite a lot of descriptions of the trials in the Rodriguez case but almost nothing about the Samson trial.

"Rope Burns" was a quick and pretty interesting read that could have been better. 3+

Narrow Is the Way
Narrow Is the Way
by B. D. Hyman

2.0 out of 5 stars Self serving., 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Narrow Is the Way (Hardcover)
"Narrow is the Way" is Hyman's followup to her bestseller "My Mother's Keeper" about her dysfunctional relation with her mother, Bette Davis. It's also the story about how the authors (B.D. and her husband Jeremy are both credited as authors although the book is written from B.D.'s point of view) became born again Christians. I found some parts of the book interesting, when it dealt with the controversy around the previous book and her relationship with her mother. Parts of the story of their religious conversion were somewhat interesting but it did seem a bit strange how they went from skeptic agnostics to devout Christians attending faith healing meetings, in such a short period of time. Much of the book deals with the Hyman family's move to Bahamas and how they helped build a church there and this didn't interest me at all, nor did I care to read about their lobster fishing trips. I still didn't feel I really got to know them. I kept wondering how they could support themselves and their family and to Bahamas and buying a boat, with neither of them working.

Hyman says her reason for writing "My Mother's Keeper" was to reach out to her mother when all other attempts to communicate had failed. I can buy her rationale, but I don't see how this sequel could serve any such purpose. It only seemed self-serving and again insulting to her mother. Only recommended to those who are really interested in the controversy about "My Mother's Keeper".

Riding Lessons
Riding Lessons
by Bo Derek

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight but entertaining memoir., 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Riding Lessons (Hardcover)
"Life has played some funny tricks on me and taken me on a wild ride. How did I ever get into this wonderful mess that is my life?" --Bo Derek

I always liked Bo Derek. She may not be the greatest actress of our time but she's charming (as I like to say, she's the only one who can play Bo Derek) and seems to have gone her own way and focused more on her private life rather than her career. It was interesting to read her story of how she happened to become an actress and sex symbol, more or less by chance. Her marriage to John Derek seems to have been a happy one, but the book could have fleshed out the description of relationship (and their ongoing friendship with his ex-wives (Ursula Andress is mentioned quite often, Linda Evans less so)) a bit more. I also would have liked to read about their last movie, Ghosts Can't Do It (it's only alluded to once in the book but never mentioned again) and the 1990s movies she acted in that John didn't direct.

"Riding Lessons" is a light but entertaining read. Recommended for fans of Bo Derek and fans of celebrity memoirs. Also for people who are interested in horses like Bo is because she writes about them quite a bit. I'm not interested in hroses, but it didn't stop me from enjoying it, so don't get put off by the title if you're not either.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20