Profile for RedRunBoy > Reviews

Content by RedRunBoy

RedRunBoy

EchoStar HDS-600RS SlingLoaded HD Digital Video Recorder for European Satellite Operators (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent features, quality and value, 30 Mar 2012
I bought this Freesat box to replace a very troublesome Humax Freesat HD box with hard drive.

I love the Echostars look, operation, quality of picture, Sling player and GUI.

Its an excellent bit of kit, just put out that I had to pay for the ipad app for slingplayer.

Highly recommend this above Humax which is more expensive, less well appointed and altogether unpolished appliance.

For what you get the price is very reasonable. I love it.

JBL ON BEAT Xtreme Bluetooth Active (discontinued by manufacturer)
JBL ON BEAT Xtreme Bluetooth Active (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars JBL ONBEAT XTREME - Class product, 24 Feb 2012
I have to admit I didn't purchase this through Amazon, I bought it from a large retailer in Germany where I live.

However as I'm an Amazon Evangelist this seemed to be the best place to place a review.

This is my second contained iPod dock / speaker system. I have the original B&W Zeppelin which I love and still rate very highly. however having bought an ipad2 I wanted AirPlay. After much research I invested in the OnbeatXtreme, I'm very pleased I did indeed.

It is quite a bit smaller than the Zeppelin, however the sound is very clear and room filling.

I love the design of the unit and it is sturdily and nicely made, feeling high quality. I was concerned that nothing would approach B&W standards, however this does.

The Bluetooth aspect is quite easy to set up and understand, the sound on Bluetooth is excellent. You can play music, film or games all without a delay in sound.

The unit is quite considerably cheaper than the B&W Zeppelin air and actually now feels better quality than the Zeppelin which now feels cheap and very plastic compared to the Stainless steel chrome Zeppelin.

I'm a fussy devil with kit, I always want the best I can get - within limits of course. This item has met and exceeded my expectations and hopes.

Excellent unit, buy it over the Zeppelin which is limited by only having Air play and being too expensive for what it is.

Humax Foxsat HDR 500GB Freesat HD Digital TV Recorder (Requires Satellite Dish) (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing lifespan, 23 Feb 2012
I bought this item in June 2011.

I was generally very pleased with it, excellent picture, EPG and recordings.

However the remote control is very tardy, the item kept switching itself on and sound through my AV amp was inconsistent. HD channels sound levels were correct but SD channels were off the scale quiet.

Having disconnected the item ready for a move the unit then failed to receive a signal, Amazon have confirmed they will provide me with a refund after failure to get any reply to my enquiry direct with Humax.

Can't fault Amazon at all, as usual excellent very swift response to my problem. The Humax did impress greatly then disappointed massively with too many annoying problems then total failure after only 8 months of use.

Clearly HD satellite PVRs are not quite well developed enough yet. I will now wait for introduction of such an item from one of the major players - Sony or Panasonic or invest in a TV with inbuilt Freesat HD with recorder when they become available.

Do not buy
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2012 8:06 PM BST

Proporta Aluminium Lined Leather Case for the Apple iPad 2 - Black
Proporta Aluminium Lined Leather Case for the Apple iPad 2 - Black
Offered by Proporta

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent case, 9 Nov 2011
I bought this as I bought a Proporta case for my Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone.

Same excellent design, construction and materials apply to this case.

It holds the ipad2 securely and protects it totally whilst providing all the access to ports and controls required.

Lovely full grain leather - so very unlikely to be scratched, aluminium plate protecting the screen is fantastic. All adds up to a premium case for the amazing ipad2.

Inspires confidence that your expensive but brilliant ipad2 will not be damaged or scratched.

It does make the very thin ipad2 seem a bit bulky, however that is the price you pay for top class protection.

Lovely bit of kit, buy with confidence.

Proporta Aluminium Lined Leather Case for Samsung Galaxy S II
Proporta Aluminium Lined Leather Case for Samsung Galaxy S II

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent high quality, 9 Nov 2011
This case as everything from Proporta is of the highest quality materials and construction.

The aluminium plate inspires confidence.

Looks and feels great, it does make the phone seem quite bulky compared to its beautiful thin lines, however if you want your phone brilliantly protected and looking / feeling like the excellent item it is then buy it.

Top product with excellent delivery - within 3 days and I live in Germany!

One For All URC8603 Xsight Touch
One For All URC8603 Xsight Touch

2.0 out of 5 stars DONT BUY THIS REMOTE, 19 Jun 2011
I bought this to replace my Logitech harmony 555 which had become troublesome because of compatibility problems with my new Windows 7 Laptop.

I wish I hadnt bothered.

The remote is very attractive and does have a recharging cradle, however it is very difficult to set up - still not totally windows 7 compatible and is not intuitive at all.

Activities work on and off and you cant switch all items off with the power button unless you have a degree in computer science and computer speak.

Either save your money and dont bother with a universal remote or buy a Logitch Harmony, I have gone back to using my Logitech which works immesuribly better and is intuitive.

I do have a complicated set up with TV, Blu ray, X Box 360, HD satellite box all routed through my AV amp but the Logitech dealt much better with it - it is also easy to set up, well relatively anyway.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2011 8:15 AM BST