Profile for The Action Guy > Reviews

Content by The Action Guy

The Action Guy (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Thunderbird Tomica 05 Thunderbird No. 5
Thunderbird Tomica 05 Thunderbird No. 5
Offered by Fast Japan eu

5.0 out of 5 stars And it looks better in real life than it does in pictures, 4 Dec. 2015
To anyone reading the other reviews here:

The Japanese instructions are hardly an impediment, considering construction is about three or four pieces.

This is the only model of Thunderbird 5 right now. Yes, it's a few inches long. But it's about the cost of a couple of bars of chocolate. It's basically a Matchbox toy, and it's the same price. And it looks better in real life than it does in pictures.

Some places are already reporting this particular model as sold out.

I love it. These Tomica toys are great (although FAB1, Thunderbird 4, and Thunderbird 2 are my particular favourites.)

StarTech.com 2 m 3.5 mm 4 Position TRRS Headset Extension Cable M/F and Audio Extension Cable for iPhone

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 19 Jun. 2014
Feels a little cheap and rough in construction, but the cord extends out and does what it's supposed to. Perfectly fine for use.

Apple 85 W MagSafe Power Adapter for MacBook Pro 2010 (Non-Retail Packaging)
Apple 85 W MagSafe Power Adapter for MacBook Pro 2010 (Non-Retail Packaging)

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Joy. Another Adaptor., 19 Jun. 2014
The adaptor arrives. It powers my computer.

This is the third adaptor I've had for this machine. I'm sure, like the previous ones, some version of fraying of cables will occur, forcing me to buy yet another of these stupidly designed things.

Apple: I suspect you're using cheap ass materials just to hike up demand on these things. I'd love to know what your profit markup is. These adaptors suck.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2015 10:15 PM BST

In Full Effect
In Full Effect

1.0 out of 5 stars Does anyone vet this stuff?, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: In Full Effect (Audio CD)
The King is a fairly awesome Elvis impersonator, with a sly repertoire in cover versions of recent deceased artists.

Unless he has decided to branch out, and can now do a spot-on impersonation of a crooning black soul singer (he's versatile and fantastic, so I wouldn't put anything past him), I would respectfully submit that Amazon has cocked-up and attributed an African-American artist from The Other Side Of The Pond (lovely I'm sure in his own milieu, but not necessarily my cup of tea) to the wrong Irish sneer-lip crooner.

While I'm having a moan...Jimmy The King? We could use some more albums out here. We've played your stuff to destruction, and it's unfair to let your huge talents languish. Thank you!

TeckNet 7.1 Channel Surround Sound Headband Vibration Gaming Headset Over-Ear Headphone With Microphone For PC Computer Gaming, USB Connection
Offered by Hippidion.Store

3.0 out of 5 stars TeckNet "Next Gen" cover, 27 April 2013
There's nothing wrong with the product. The fault is all mine. I was in a hurry to purchase a new cover, and neglected to notice it came with a stylus. When I got this product, there it was, attached to a little canvas loop on the side. I don't care for the stylus and won't be using it, and the loop is more of an irritation than anything else, although not unduly so (after several days use, I've pretty much forgotten about it.)

The material this is constructed from is not as thick as the previous TeckNet case I purchased, perhaps in an attempt by TeckNet to shave down a millimetre or two in height, I'm not sure. The one I had previously was a brown leather. You know when you pick up gaudily coloured leather purses and the material feels a little odder: a little more plastic and tacky? I purchased the Burgundy Red one, and it has that feel. The actual build quality feels a little tighter and better made than the last one.

I have no real issues with the sleeve. It does what it says on the tin, it's a great price, and I'd still buy TeckNet again in some future incarnation.

Arrivals & Departures
Arrivals & Departures
by Leslie Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Small Town England Writing At Its Best, 26 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Arrivals & Departures (Paperback)
I went through a jag of catching up on some of the Thomas books I hadn't read before this summer, thanks to having access to a swimming pool with a floaty chair, which made me keep the iPad secured firmly indoors.

You never quite know what you're going to get with a Thomas book. This one, happily, is a massive thumbs-up all the way through. It's familiar territory for Thomas readers: an English town, filled with eccentrics, and various bedroom farce shenanigans going on. Like his superb "Adventures Of Goodnight And Loving", it's a life-affirming storyline that will leave you wondering what happened to the characters long after you've finished the final page. I'd love to make a movie of this.

Unhesitatingly recommended.

Running Away
Running Away
by Leslie Thomas

4.0 out of 5 stars Another (Positive) Exercise In Wistfullness From Thomas, 26 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Running Away (Paperback)
Thomas is an odd writer. His writing is never less than a solid "A", although it's a coin-toss as to whether I'll engage with any given story.

This one is a cautious thumbs-up. As a writer myself, I smiled my way through a lot of the craziness on-hand (particularly the thinly-veiled "Groucho Club" scenes, of which I was a former member.)

Recommended.

Lucky You
Lucky You
by Carl Hiaasen

4.0 out of 5 stars A Triumph, Though A Minor One, 26 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Lucky You (Paperback)
I really enjoy Hiaasen's "voice", and his characters are well drawn, empathetic, and usually quirky and often tinged with a nasty edge (albeit sometimes lacking in depth a little). This was a breezy read, and I enjoyed it. The story hits a speed bump when it goes back to the religious fakery "B" plot line, which ought to really have been pruned back.

I'd recommend it, although there are other Hiaasen books that leave it in the dust.

The Terror
The Terror
by Dan Simmons

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost 1000 Pages Of Ponderous And Repetitive Rubbish. AVOID., 22 July 2012
This review is from: The Terror (Paperback)
Hurrah! It's Sunday! The sun actually feebly crept from behind the clouds this afternoon! I am unshackled...free as a bird!

Yes, I finished Dan Simmons' ghastly "The Terror"! I completed the literary obstacle course of its Teflon text; my eyes skittering off the page with every sentence.

What a TERRIBLE book. Not just repetitiverepetitiverepetitiverepetitiverepetitiverepetitiverepetitiverepetitiverepetitiverepetitive, but how DARE Simmons shoehorn in the pointless creature into the narrative (and the "revelation" of which was utterly unsatisfying).

While I applaud Simmons for his period atmosphere, there is no excuse for boring and tedious. Worse, the grafting on of the wholly extraneous and cack-handed creature subplot felt totally arbitrary. Had he simply written an arctic survival story, I'd have had more respect for Simmons. But passing this off as a Creature Feature to sucker in the wary and unsuspecting (like me) is simply callous and misleading.

Any of you bozos that like this book? You DESERVE to be bored, and to endure poorly-paced literature.

Hurrah! The glorious remainder of my "To Be Read" pile beckons like a sultry maiden. So long, suckers!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2013 12:36 PM BST

Lens Mug 1:1 Simulation to Canon EF 70-200 mm f/4 EOS Coffee Cup Mug Coffee Flask
Offered by Ur-Choice-Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusted and duped, 5 Jan. 2012
This is NOT the Canon licensed lens mug, as others here have noted. This is a very poor quality Chinese knock-off, sold for practically the same price. I bought this as a present for my girlfriend, who is a professional photographer, and was utterly horrified when she opened it. I was duped. Avoid this seller at all costs.

Page: 1 | 2