Profile for Sulalee > Reviews

Rachel's Favourite Food at Home
Rachel's Favourite Food at Home
by Rachel Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Good simple food, 11 Jan. 2007
I love watching Rachel Allen's recipe shows. Her delivery is friendly and helpful, she makes recipes seem easy and clear, and the end results look tempting and delicious.

I do like this reciped book and I enjoyed particularly, the snippets of additional commentary that are often missing in many other recipe books. They set the scene, explain the origin of recipes and generally, give a recipe book more character.

However, I would add, while the book is easy to follow and beautifully designed, remember it's about "home" recipes for friends and all the family. So many of the recipes are very straightforward - such as, baked potato, or runny egg and asparagus soliders. This is great for parents looking for healthy, quick and easy meals for all the family. Ideally, I'd have liked a few more of her more detailed recipes.

One other point that you might like to consider when deciding whether or not to buy the book: if, like me, you use recipe books as a spur-of-the-moment source of visual ideas for today's lunch, tea or dinner by flicking through the photos and recipe titles, keep in mind that quite a few recipes in this book don't have photos - instead there are whole-page photos of Rachel, of her husband, her kids and even her dog!

Admittedly, this adds to the charm and character of the book but in one or two of the few slightly more complex recipes included in the book, I would have preferred a photo of the prepared dish.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2014 4:18 PM BST

Martin Lukes: Who Moved My BlackBerry?
Martin Lukes: Who Moved My BlackBerry?
by Lucy Kellaway

3.0 out of 5 stars A quick, easy, amusing read, 26 Jun. 2006
It's possible that I'd have scored this one higher, had I not read the out sleeve first, which informs the prospective reader that it's an hilarious satire. A claim like that on a front cover leaves one expecting too much. The book is amusing and entertaining, it will bring a smile to your face and the middle email on page 347 may well make you laugh out loud!

I did find it genuinely amusing, it just wasn't the great masterpiece that its cover hinted at. It's certainly worth a read. I read it in one sitting.

It's a quick, easy read in which the reader learns about Martin Lukes and his life via the emails he send from his office and Blackberry.

You'll recognise the type and find yourself smiling, as you read his emails and his responses and reactions to emails from more successful, more capable colleagues, his clearly more capable wife, his neglected sons and PA and so on. Martin is the type of businessman who uses phrases like "horizon scanning", "tool-kit" and "blue-sky planning". He even creates his own word and trade-marks it in an attempt to impress the big boss.

This is the sort of book I read and enjoy once and pass on to a friend, recommending they do the same. An enjoyable read but not something of sufficient depth that you'd want to return to it again.

(Duplicate of B00009OWFL) KitchenAid Ultra Power Blender Grey Finish
(Duplicate of B00009OWFL) KitchenAid Ultra Power Blender Grey Finish

4.0 out of 5 stars A reliable blender that's easy to use and looks good too, 2 May 2006
I have a cupboard full of kitchen appliances that I rarely use but the KitchenAid Blender isn't one of them. It's always out on the counter-top because I enjoy using it.

I love the design, which is functional and attractive. It has only a few "buttons", all of which are touchpads under a sealed cover. That makes it very easy to keep clean and just as easy to use. I make lots of things with mine, from houmous to soup and smoothies to ice cold coffee in the Summer months.

It's easy to clean too because it breaks down into parts in a very simple way. I also like the big glass jug (40oz), a good size.

I'd give it five stars but I'm having a little difficulty finding a replacement glass jug via the net. I dropped mine at the weekend, and though I've done this before and it has been fine, this time it broke. That said, I'm sure I can order one via my local department store.

Eats shoots and leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
Eats shoots and leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
by Lynne Truss

4.0 out of 5 stars Eats, shoots and leaves, 16 Dec. 2003
It seems Mr Bailey has entirely missed the point and humour of the book's title. In line with the book's approach to grammar, the title is a witty example of why punctuation is so important and how its misuse can change the meaning of a sentence beyond recognition.
It refers to the description of a leaf eating panda, which should have said "Eats shoots and leaves.". Instead, due to the inclusion of an unnecessary comma, it warns us the panda may well be armed and dangerous!
A delightfully funny book, and a very useful tool for anyone who feels he or she might benefit from an enjoyable guide to English grammar. I'd recommended it to anyone, especially those who, like me, feel they have gaps in their grammar that need closing up.