Profile for Squeebles > Reviews

Content by Squeebles

Squeebles (UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:10, 1920x1200, 300 cd/m2)
Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:10, 1920x1200, 300 cd/m2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great combination of specification and price., 30 Aug 2014
Bought a 2010 Apple Mac Pro to learn video editing and needed a decent monitor to go with it. At work we use Apple monitors, but didn't want to pay that sort of money, so went with the next best thing: a Dell.

Looked online for which monitor to go for, with my budget, and the U2412M ticked all my boxes. Fast delivery, easy to set up and all cables included in the box to get it up and running straight away. Will pick up a display port cable at some point, along with another U2412M for dual monitor goodness. Certainly makes my Fujitsu Siemens 22" look puny by comparison.

Recommended (if you care about an online random stranger's opinion, that is).

Twin Pack Energizer CR2430 3v Lithium button coin cell battery
Twin Pack Energizer CR2430 3v Lithium button coin cell battery
Offered by Babz Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Power to and for the people., 30 Aug 2014
Needed one of these for my kitchen scales. Ordering a two pack made sense so I have a spare when it happens again (in about three years going by previous indication).

Nikon D3300 Digital Field Guide
Nikon D3300 Digital Field Guide
by J. Dennis Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Ditch the camera manual, get one of these., 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These books are handy little guides to the workings of a DSLR, especially to a novice. For those who have some knowledge of digital cameras or comfortable with handling the many functions that DSLR’s come with these days, think of the book as a better version of the guide that comes with the camera and most likely stays in the box unread (as I’ve done with all my camera purchases).
I got the Nikon D7000 Digital Field Guide a couple of years ago to help me navigate that camera which was far more advanced than anything I’d used before. The D3300, even though it’s a lower level camera than the D7000/D7100/D7200 range is still packed to the gills with new technology (which you’d have found in the more expensive models not long ago). The main draw for me was the video capability, the D3300 now can shoot full 1080/50P which is remarkable for such a low price. have been using the D3300 in and out of the office, shooting small videos and it's handy to have a paper reference about to answer any questions.
Anyway, this is a good book to keep at hand to get the most out of your camera.

Busy B Chalkboard Labels - Black
Busy B Chalkboard Labels - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Black board / chalk board labels for your rustic label needs., 28 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Fed up with generic labels for your home made jams & chutneys? Are there no decent clip art labels to download any more? Is the "John Bull Printing Outfit" no longer available to buy?

Well, if you want your produce labels to match the rustic recipe you so closely followed on your iPad in your luxury stainless steel kitchen then these will look such the part. Of course having the labels is only half of the job, you’ll also need something to write on them with, namely a Pack of 12 Assorted Colour Anti-Dust Stick Chalk. I found an old, half empty, all broken box of white chalk in the back of a kitchen drawer, bought for whatever reason when I moved into my house 12 years ago. They still work!

But madness what is this? Chalk technology has moved on from mere sticks? Yes, you can now buy liquid chalk marker pens, like this one:White Unique Dual Nib Liquid Chalk Marker Pen UK Free P&P Perfect For Chalkboard Blackboard Labels Crafts 3mm. All the convenience of a Sharpie, but with chalk! It also wipes off so the labels can be repurposed from strawberry jam to lemon curd to marrow chutney.

For the record, I think these look great and my Mum was delighted with the jar of piccalilli (even though it was her old recipe I used).

Nocs NS500 Aluminum Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Gold
Nocs NS500 Aluminum Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Gold

4.0 out of 5 stars Clean sound at a keen price., 26 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I normally only use Circumaural (earpads that fully encompass the ears) or Supra-aural (earpads that press against the ears) headphones as I had never found a a pair of in-ear monitors (IEMs) that sounded any good. I know a lot of people swear by them, but they either sounded tinny or felt like they were trying to crowbar my head open. I also don't care for the amount of isolation they give, I need to hear some of the world going on around me.

The Nocs NS500 are a pleasant surprise though. You get a nice box, with the various ear tips is a small logo'd zip case. There's a small "L" & "R" where the cable meets the aluminium housing (which looks more champagne coloured than gold).

I used the largest of the ear tips and they fit comfortably enough without having to jam them in to make sure they don't fall out. At the moment the sound is clean and reasonably flat, though not that much in the way of lower frequencies unless they're fitted just right. Then they sound quite full. I'm finding I don't need to have the music up as normally to get the experience I want. Less loud means better for your ears (and the sort of music I listen to doesn't have extended bass frequencies or low digital range figures anyway).

The three buttons on the cable seem to be too close to right earpiece, but with time I expect I'll get used to it. I've tried it on three music players: an Apple iPod Video, iBasso DX50 and Google Nexus 4. Only the Nexus 4 did any one of the buttons worked. That was the middle one. Single press to start & stop music and a double press to move to the next track. Microphone didn't work (as far as I could tell).

The cable, being a ribbon type while being anti tangle, is defying my attempts to straighten it out fully. Feels like I have a large piece of elastic hanging off me. Also doubt there's kevlar in the cable to stop a bullet, but hey, I'm looking forward to have these burn in and let me enjoy my music.

Vax Steam Fresh Combi Classic 10-in-1 Handheld and Steam Mop
Vax Steam Fresh Combi Classic 10-in-1 Handheld and Steam Mop

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, hand held and floor mop in one. Not well executed., 26 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am comparing the Vax to my other steam mop, the Black & Decker Handle Command Steam Mop, 1600 Watt - White/ Blue

Positives:

The accessory bundle is what interests me the most. To be able to steam clean work surfaces, tiles and the hob, now that's really useful. Yes, I have tried and use a standard floor steamer on a kitchen top and although that works I did make a mess of things.
Extra long power lead. Good.
Two year warranty. Also good.
Steam ready in 20 seconds.
Replacement pads aren't expensive: 8 microfibre pads for £15 is reasonable (ooh, colours!).

In use:

Used as a floor mop:
Very bottom heavy because of the extra weight of the detachable hand steamer part, so the unit is not the easiest to move around. Having to hold the trigger in to get steam was really uncomfortable after a while.
Filling the water tank through that small hole is a pain. The opening in the container is very fiddly, you need a funnel.
The cleaning fluid smells pungent in the bottle, but I couldn't smell in when used with the mop. Cleaning fluid made no difference to the cleaning effect.
The mop left the floor wet, not soaked, but wet. OUr usual mop leaves them almost dry.
The triangular pad peeled back on two points of the three points and rucked up, so it had to be taken off and reset a couple of times. You also only get one pad in the box with the steamer.
Steam cuts out the second the trigger is dropped so it's STEAM! or cold wet rag.
The dirty pads are washed at 40degrees. The Black and Decker ones wash at 60 degrees, which is preferable for hygiene. You also shouldn't need to put a (microbe killing) detergent in with a steam mop. Surely the super heated steam should be enough? The Black & Decker Command Steam Mop has a "steam burst mode", giving an extra 5 second burst of, erm, steam when needed. That's worked perfectly. Also having the detergent is another running expense for the mop.

Used as a handheld steamer:
Squeegee tool for cleaning windows - Terrible. I maybe haven't gotten the hang of using it correctly, but it didn't help clean the windows and left a soggy wet mess everywhere. Glad I had my window vacuum to hand to clear it all up.
Scraper tool - Terrible. Didn't remove any grime.
Concentration nozzle - Meh. Yes, it does help melt crud from around taps a little, but that's it. Didn't help with anything like cleaning the washing machine soap dispenser or top of the hob.

In all cases the unit doesn't stop spurting out steam when the trigger is released, so be careful where you point it after switching off. Also it tends to cough unexpectedly a few moments after winding down and stopping, so again be careful where you put it.

Not what I want in a steam cleaner.

Aqua Optima Juno Jug with Anti Bacteria Water Filter, White
Aqua Optima Juno Jug with Anti Bacteria Water Filter, White

4.0 out of 5 stars Is this the next step in filtered water?, 26 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have drunk water directly from taps all over the UK, Europe and the US. Never once have I considered the amount of bacteria and particulates in it. At home I use a BRITA Elemaris Meter XL Water Filter Jug to remove limescale as I am in a very hard water area (Brita filters normally start to fail after three weeks of normal use here). I drink a lot of green and herbal teas and it's not nice to see scum on the surface of what you're drinking.

Replaceable cartridges from Brita can be bought on Amazon for £16 for six (and, supposedly, six months use), whereas with the Aqua Optima Juno you can buy three for £28. Obviously if you take into consideration that each Aqua Optima cartridges last for three months, then those three cover nine months and the price difference is less drastic.

I will report back when the cartridge starts to fail, as you can't force 3 months of usage in a few days.

Setting up the Juno Jug is like any other water filter. Take off the sticker on top of the cartridge and let soak for 5 minutes so the internals are fully wetted / prepped. Insert filter into jug, then fill and discard the first two times and then you're good to go. I like the slim design, and it fits nicely in my fridge door, though as Summer has finished early the idea of iced tea has long gone. Also one fill of the jug isn't sufficient for a full pot of tea for me and the other half. So prepping water takes twice as long.

In fact I am now running the Brita and the Juno Jug side by side and the Brita is streets ahead faster than the other. Whether that means the Aqua Optima cartridge is doing a better job of filtering or the filter is just more densely packed than the Brita remains to be seen at this point. There's no way you could think, "Ooh, I fancy a cuppa, better put some water in the filter." You'd probably die of dehydration while waiting. The key here is to keep water in the filter at all times and filtered water available.

I can see this as a great filter if you're out camping or roughing it in some idyllic rustic setting, you're pretty much covered from anything untoward in your drinking water, but for everyday use it's really annoying, but anyway. How about the taste test...

Conducted a blind taste test with my other half. Result? We both preferred the Aqua Optima Juno filtered.

We both noted the Brita filter water in the glass looked slightly cloudy compared to the Juno Jug (even though that filter is only a few days from new). The Brita water also smelt slightly musty, while the Juno Jug water actually tasted cleaner. Better.

How about that?

Delicious. Love to Cook: 140 Irresistible Recipes to Revitalise Your Cooking
Delicious. Love to Cook: 140 Irresistible Recipes to Revitalise Your Cooking
by Valli Little

5.0 out of 5 stars There is room for another cookery book in your kitchen., 26 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What's not to love about this!
It's a big book, and looks like a lot of love went into making it.
There are full colour photos on the opposite page to the recipes with lovely photos of the foods (really helps with wondering what to cook & what it should look like!)
Example menus, giving themed starter, main course and dessert
140 recipes should give even the fussiest foodie something to choose. I’ve found that even if I’m not interested in the main item, the side accompanied side dish / dressing / salad could be worth trying.

Most of the ingredients are easy to find, and the rest shouldn’t be too difficult to track down (even the unheard-of-until-now “quatro epices” (French four spice blend) can be made from scratch after a quick google).

Definitely going to be a useful addition to my recipe library.

Neet® Black Line - 1m - HDMI to HDMI Cable - HIGH-SPEED with Ethernet and Audio Return Channel - v1.4 - HEAC - 3D - 15.2Gbps - ADVANCED HDMI 1.4 LEAD
Offered by Neet Cables

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust product for bargain price., 25 Aug 2014
Bought this to connect a JVC GY-HM600E Camcorder to a Professional TFT LCD Monitor (different brand, but same spec) so can get an accurate view of the subject being videoed for the sponsors standing behind the camera. For some reason we couldn't get a BNC signal connection to the monitor (and who has time to read through the user guide) so went with HDMI and this cable does the job.

THAI SILK ** brown ** elephant motif cushion cover pillow 41cm x 41cm Thailand
THAI SILK ** brown ** elephant motif cushion cover pillow 41cm x 41cm Thailand
Offered by by soljo

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money and lovely design., 25 Aug 2014
Bought one of theese cushion covers couple of years ago from a Thai DVD etailer (martial arts films if you must ask) and it became the favourite cushion for my pet to sit on. It had become somewhat threadbare of late but the original retailer never had any in stock. On a whim I searched Amazon and found them for sale through one of the market place sellers. Also, they were at a remarkably low price, so I ordered three covers (in case they went out of stock again).

Delivery was pretty quick considering they came from Thailand and the cushion covers were all of good quality even though they were slightly larger than my original one (but that isn't a problem at all).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20