Profile for Squeebles > Reviews

Content by Squeebles
Top Reviewer Ranking: 975

Squeebles (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hallmark Humour Huge Pop Up Leaving Card
Hallmark Humour Huge Pop Up Leaving Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough leaving card for work colleague or someone heading to university., 23 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Size of card measures 13.5cm / 5.25 inches by 25cm / 9.75 inches and the front is foiled so it looks more expensive than it is. Card opens from the bottom and will stand upright without falling over. The insides have been folded cleverly like an umbrella to open out to a larger (roughly) decohedron shape 50cm / 20 inches across, so there is enough room for many, many signatures, witty comments, perfect puns and undenyable sarcasm.

Cartoon cats and dogs, like on the front of the card adorn the inside and there's the message:
"We'll all miss your smiling face" and "All the best"

This is an ideal card for a person who is either loved and respected by his colleagues or a miserable sot that you can't wait to be rid of.

Dropped a star as no envelope was included with the card to review, which was oversight.

The Breath Co Fresh Breath Oral Rinse - 500 ml, Icy Mint
The Breath Co Fresh Breath Oral Rinse - 500 ml, Icy Mint

2.0 out of 5 stars Expensive to try out, but not the wonder wash it claims out to be., 22 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had been looking online for a new mouthwash, especially one that would combat the incredibly dry mouth I seem to be waking up with in the middle of the night. Normally I would keep a bottle of water by the bedside and just take a drink when necessary, but I have been waking up several times in the night with this dry mouth.

This mouthwash contains no alcohol, which can act as a drying agent, in fact has a slightly "less wet" feel about it and doesn't leave you with a sweet taste in the mouth, which is good. Swilling the capful for a minute seems way too long and I had to take my mind off the action by doing something else as it seemed to take forever. I used it for one morning and one evening then the very next day I came down with a terrible head cold and sore throat, something I thought this mouthwash was supposed to guard against (sore throat, not a cold). Thinking this was just a coincidence I continued using the mouthwash, but overnight it made my throat seem constricted, so I stopped using it until the cold had passed.

Once I had recovered I started using it again, but it agin made my throat feel constricted. My mouth wasn't as dry overnight, but I kept clearing my throat. So I stopped using it and went back to my own brand. Other people have had good results with this mouthwash, but it's not for me.

iBasso DX50 24/192 HiFi Audiophile Digital Audio Player with Lossless support & Wolfson DAC
Offered by Hihi Electronic

5.0 out of 5 stars Am listening to my DX50 & Black Sabbath: Live at Hammersmith Odeon while writing this. Couldn't be happier., 21 May 2015
My previous music player was an iPod Video which I bought second hand as it had long been discontinued. I installed the program RockBox (Google/Bing it for info) on it and was able to play music in MP3 and FLAC formats without having to resort to iTunes (which I gave up on long ago). But, that finally bit the dust and I so was on the look out for a replacement, with the following features:
Able to play FLAC, MP3 formats
Large memory or removable memory using memory cards
Good battery life / removable battery
Luckily there are a good selection of music players on the scene now with features and prices for all wallets.

After much investigation I chose the iBasso DX50 over the FiiO X3 (kept the price at a sensible level for me) and have not been disappointed from day one. It's about the size of a pack of playing cards (remember those?) I've listened to audio books, podcasts and all genres of music without fault. I bought several SanDisk Ultra 64 GB Class 10 Micro SD Cards so I can have different music for different occasions. These memory cards are pretty cheap now and the 64GB is an third of the price of the 128GB card, which the DX50 can also use. I keep the spare spare cards in their adaptor under the back of the rubber case. The DX50 also supports OTG USB, so I found an OTG cable that I purchased for my Nexus 7 and I connected the DX50 to a Lexar Professional JumpDrive S55 128GB USB 3.0 and, yup, that worked straight away as well. The cable sticks out a bit, but it is an other option. The DX50 comes with 8GB of internal memory, but I would recommend that is kept empty and only used for firmware updates.

As for updates, iBasso is keeping the DX50 a current model with over ten official updates (currently v1.9.2) and there are enthusiasts out these who have released (allowed) tweaked firmwares that enable the listener to change to the sound to their own preference. I have done this and it works with no danger to the DX50 (disclaimer: always be careful when updating firmwares and follow the instructions carefully).

The touch screen interface is intuitive enough after a while, though I always forget the three buttons under the screen for play, skip forward / skip back. They're not really obvious against the black rubber case.

My headphones of choice for the DX50 are the Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ear Headphones, which have recently come down in price (as there is a newer 2.0 version out). I can't get on with in-ear headphones, and these have great frequency range and go loud enough for me without disturbing those around me. I set the gain (low/med/high) on medium and keep the volume lower as this boosts the low mids & bass. I also tried my Sennheiser HD600 headphones and on the highest gain setting they sound pretty darn good. With the addition of an amplifier they would sound even better, but for travelling the sound is good, nay, great enough without.

What I like about the iBasso DX50: Transparent sound, Well Controlled Bass, Forward Mids, Soundstage, Different firmwares available to change soundstage, Design, Price.

PhotoSEL BG411 Sling Bag with Rain Cover for DSLR Cameras and Accessories - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat strange design for a half backpack system, 21 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are times when I can step out with a DSLR, a spare prime lens and a flash and that's all I need. For that I will use my trusty (and seemingly indestructible) Crumpler shoulder bag. Other times I will take all my gear with me (whether I need to or not) and that will call for a Lowepro or (the great value) Amazon Basics backpack. Either of the two types of bags have their pros and cons. Backpacks get in everyone else's way when you are in a crowded space and a shoulder bag can be fiddly to open when it's on your hip.

What PhotoSEL has here is a "sling bag", which seems to be a shoulder bag in the shape of half a backpack (sliced vertically). It is well constructed, with strong zips, adequate velcro padding and an included rain cover.

You have a small compartment on the top (which wouldn't fit a DSLR) and a side zipped larger pocket that takes my Nikon D90 & 28-105mm lens comfortably. There is more room inside and loops on the outside to add further attachments. The trouble is with this is the wearing of the bag. There isn't instructions included on how to wear it. So after watching some videos online about camera sling bags, I finally worked it out. Main strap goes over right shoulder and the bag sits behind your left hip. There is another, smaller strap that goes around your body to keet the bag in place. Then the idea is, when you quickly need your camera, you simply slide the pack around, open one zip and you're ready to go.

One thing I found the being tall and having a long torso, it was difficult to get comfy and I would end up, when it slid around, being too high up so difficult to open the zip. Also, there is no provision to having this on your other shoulder, so if you're left handed it could be more difficult to use.

This could be of use for people with smaller cameras or needing to take less camera gear out with them. It is easier to access quickly than with a backpack, but I think a shoulder bag is a better option.

Rexel A4 Mylar Reinforced Index - White (Pack of 10)
Rexel A4 Mylar Reinforced Index - White (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars - Standard Width, not Extra Wide, 17 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If, like me, you're still in the dark ages and required to have a tonne of papers in A4 ring binders, you'll know that decent dividers make one heck of a difference in keeping papers organised.

Cheap dividers rip and fall out constantly, so it's worth picking up good dividers to stop you having to sort out your tax returns twice. These Rexel dividers are the best on the market - reinforced, colour coded, strong tabs, the index sheet even has lines on to aid your handwriting.

But... it's important to note that these are standard width dividers. So if you file your papers in punched plastic wallets these dividers are all but useless, as the punched plastic wallets are an inch wider than the dividers - you just can't see them.

Buff High UV Pro Multi Functional Headwear - Nubian
Buff High UV Pro Multi Functional Headwear - Nubian
Offered by Funswim Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've used one before you know how useful they are., 16 May 2015
If you've used one before you know how useful they are. Not much else to say, but I have several now and use them regularly.

Sunvito Solid Aluminum Metal Desktop Stand for Mobile Phone Tablet PC (Black)
Sunvito Solid Aluminum Metal Desktop Stand for Mobile Phone Tablet PC (Black)
Offered by Sunvito Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, sturdy stand for your phone or media player, 16 May 2015
Was going to purchase the Elago M2 Mobile Stand for somewhere to put my mobile next to my bed while it charged, but that was over £30 to buy (and now out of stock anyway) so started looking for an alternative.

This Sunvito looks as good and sturdy as the Elago (both metal) and is only £5. Going to get another one for my iPod and set up a bedside headphone station as well. Other colours are even cheaper, plus there's free delivery from Amazon to boot (over £20 total order, naturally)

Highly recommended.

Animal Men's Larocs Hooded Long Sleeve Hoodie, Grey (Charcoal Marl), Large
Animal Men's Larocs Hooded Long Sleeve Hoodie, Grey (Charcoal Marl), Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Good looking zippy top at an unbeatable price., 16 May 2015
Great fit, looks good and was quickly delivered. Saved me a good amount of money instead of buying direct from Animal.

The Angel and the Cad: Love, Loss and Scandal in Regency England
The Angel and the Cad: Love, Loss and Scandal in Regency England
by Geraldine Roberts

4.0 out of 5 stars A real life Jane Austen style read, 27 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A real life tale of passion, social scandal and betrayal in Regency period England. The book is engagingly written and draws from a huge amount of research, but it is first and foremost a romance story.

As a fan of the real-life Victorian crime books I expected this to run in the same style, but it didn't. The styling is firmly for romance readers, with the history element coming second. The book is written as a novel, not a historic account. There's a lot of assumptions of the characters' feelings, and use of blousy descriptions to ooze luxury and lavishness. Conversely it does contain true stories of the heroine being treated horrifically, which sit well with the factual history element, but not to the romance novel styling.

For me, as a novel the book was unsatisfying. As a social history it's brilliant, but written as a novel it's easy to forget the author didn't have the indulgence of fiction to twist the story around. The latter end of the book seems to drift from storytelling into clipped biography, then back again.

It's a wonderful, rich history lesson, but ultimately falls down the gap between romance fiction and historical biography.

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
by Alexandra Brosh

5.0 out of 5 stars Masses of Hyperbole and a Half in one handy, portable paper perusal pad., 8 April 2015
Have followed Allie Brosh's brilliant Hyperbole and a Half blog page for years now and it's always been thoughtful and riotously funny in equal measures. The style of the artwork actually fits the narrative perfectly and matches the story telling perfectly. But it's so much more than just MS Paint funnies on a page.

Read her blog first if you're unsure of a purchase. The book is a delight.

Just remembered my favourite story: Benny & the Wolves...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20