Profile for Squeebles > Reviews

Nikon D3300 for Dummies
by Julie Adair King

4.0 out of 5 stars This book helps your Nikon D3300 work for you., 23 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The D3300 is labelled by Nikon as an entry level camera. However it has features that only a couple of years ago you would only find in far higher priced cameras. There's a 24MP sensor, 3 inch TFT screen, shoots 1080P video (at 60, 50, 30, 25, 24 fps), the latest Expeed 4 onboard processor, 5fps continuous shooting and a 700 shot battery. Amazing, eh and rightly so.

So you bought the Nikon D3300 with 18-55mm VR II Lens Kit for under £400. But how do you find out how to use all that in an easy fashion? All too easy to get confused and bogged down with the confusing menus and dials. That's where the Nikon D3300 for Dummies comes in. The book follows the long tried and tested "Dummies Guides" formula that lays out all the basics in a logical format. It starts with how to attach the lens and insert memory card & batteries and switch it on and leads you through taking your first photos with everything set to AUTO. Once you're comfortable with that, the book leads you through the different settings and and how to get the best shot from the environment you're in. This is very comprehensive and easy to follow with detailed colour photos throughout so you can match up the books wit what's on the LCD screen. Nice.

Only thing the book doesn't do is to teach you to improve your photography. With memory cards now you can take photos, instantly review them, find out what works and doesn't and just delete the rubbish. Back in the days of shooting 35mm film you had to wait a week for the film to get back from Boots the Chemist and envelope would contain little stickers over the printed photos saying "underexposed" or "blurry". Then you just either put the envelope in the bin or in the back of a drawer never to be seen again.

One other thing to note: There no longer are the badly drawn cartoons at the start of every chapter, this is a good thing.

Busy B 2015 Couples Calendar with Dual Schedules & Storage Pockets, Birds Design
Offered by LoveBlossoms

5.0 out of 5 stars See at a glance schedules for you and yours., 21 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Yes me and my other half are on Facebook, Google+ and most the other myriad of the online social media... things, but it doesn't always work out that everything is available at a glance. Anyway, we've been using good old pen and paper for as long as paper has been invented, so what's wrong with a calender, ooh let's say, on a wall?

The calender is in two halves, an upper and lower. On the upper part, there are four columns for each month: Me, Us, You & birthdays, pretty much self explanitary. Birthday colums also lists and bank or religious holidays. The lower part has a pocket for receipts, invites or tickets, so 12 monthly pockets in all. There is also a sheet of stickers in various shapes and colours to highlight dates of interest, which is nice. They even include a ribbon to hand it from.

It really takes no time to write in dates or appointments and there's no doubt what event is for whome. The layout is cute without being too twee. At £8.95 I think this is good value.

Evernote For Dummies
Evernote For Dummies
by David E. Y. Sarna

3.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, but do you need it?, 16 Sep 2014
This review is from: Evernote For Dummies (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
One of the big pluses of Evernote is how ridiculously easy and intuitive it is to use. So I did wonder how a Dummies Guide could fill 300 pages on the subject. The answer is repetition - how to use Evernote online, on a PC desktop, on a Mac, on an Android tablet, on an Apple tablet, on an Android phone, on iPhone and on a blackberry.

Beyond writing and filing a note, searching notes and creating multimedia notes (if you're so inclined), there's really not much to say. The advice beyond the basic usage is a little dated. Yes, Evernote can interface with Wacom Tablets, but seriously? Does anyone still use them to record notes? Similarly the use of Livescribe (I'm still an occasional Livescribe user, but really that system has been long killed off by Smartphone apps). Considering Skitch is a prominent part of Evernote I was surprised to see it only warranted a couple of sentences in the book. The Evernote Hello function doesn't get more than a nod either.

(It's worth noting the book is in American English, and the third party apps and extensions it suggests aren't all available in the UK.)

So all in, it's a thorough book - but it doesn't add much more to Evernote usability beyond Evernote's own short Welcome videos.

Buy Whole Foods Organic Ground Linseed 1 Kg
Buy Whole Foods Organic Ground Linseed 1 Kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Good addition to your store cupboard for healthy eating., 12 Sep 2014
I have been on somewhat on a(nother) health kick of late (advancing years, etc) and some recipes called for ground linseeds, so i bought this. Tad annoying that it's an "add on item", but I do seem to order something from Amazon every week, so it wasn't hard to combine with another item for swift delivery (and Amazon Prime to boot).

In use, I have been reducing the amount of flour in a recipe and making up the difference with the ground linseeds. The end result tastes just as good, if not better and I get the satisfaction of knowing it's keeping me healthy as well. Latest recipe was in a wonderful crumble topping over home grown apples and pears.

Ultrasport Adjustable Hand Grips - Grey, 5-20 kg
Ultrasport Adjustable Hand Grips - Grey, 5-20 kg

4.0 out of 5 stars That lid from the jar of pickled onions won't defeat you any more!, 10 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a cheap-as-chips hand grip exerciser and finger strengthener that works on a simple pivot and spring tension. A bright red dial moves the spring closer or further away from the grip. Closer to you and closing the handles is easy, further away and it's (much) more difficult. Interestingly, turning the red dial all the way to make the tension harder gives your forearms a bit of a workout in itself!

There are no instructions in the box and I was unable to find any instructions on the Ultrasport website, even the blub for this item on Amazon only says, "Use the grippers to exercise the strength of your grip and your forearm muscles. You can continuously adjust this gripper to your level of training by setting the right tension on the gripper." That isn't very helpful, even though all you do is squeeze the gripper shut and release to use it. I did a bit of an internet search ("Grip Training - Beginner") and found a website that gives you a good breakdown of correct use and a workout to follow. In use, I found the grip to be a tad small on my (manly) hands but still got a good workout with having the red dial pointing towards me and even with the grip upside down.

There's a 2 year warranty in the box, which is great as I don't think it would stand up to a lot of use. The soft-ish black grip has started to shed tiny bits of rubber and the underside of the pivot seems to be shaving pieces of the plastic off each time it's used. Good stocking filler, at a push.

Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:10, 1920x1200, 300 cd/m2)
Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:10, 1920x1200, 300 cd/m2)
Offered by Buying2day ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great combination of specification and price., 30 Aug 2014
Bought a 2010 Apple Mac Pro to learn video editing and needed a decent monitor to go with it. At work we use Apple monitors, but didn't want to pay that sort of money, so went with the next best thing: a Dell.

Looked online for which monitor to go for, with my budget, and the U2412M ticked all my boxes. Fast delivery, easy to set up and all cables included in the box to get it up and running straight away. Will pick up a display port cable at some point, along with another U2412M for dual monitor goodness. Certainly makes my Fujitsu Siemens 22" look puny by comparison.

Recommended (if you care about an online random stranger's opinion, that is).

Twin Pack Energizer CR2430 3v Lithium button coin cell battery
Twin Pack Energizer CR2430 3v Lithium button coin cell battery
Offered by Sivitec_Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Power to and for the people., 30 Aug 2014
Needed one of these for my kitchen scales. Ordering a two pack made sense so I have a spare when it happens again (in about three years going by previous indication).

Nikon D3300 Digital Field Guide
Nikon D3300 Digital Field Guide
by J. Dennis Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Ditch the camera manual, get one of these., 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These books are handy little guides to the workings of a DSLR, especially to a novice. For those who have some knowledge of digital cameras or comfortable with handling the many functions that DSLR’s come with these days, think of the book as a better version of the guide that comes with the camera and most likely stays in the box unread (as I’ve done with all my camera purchases).
I got the Nikon D7000 Digital Field Guide a couple of years ago to help me navigate that camera which was far more advanced than anything I’d used before. The D3300, even though it’s a lower level camera than the D7000/D7100/D7200 range is still packed to the gills with new technology (which you’d have found in the more expensive models not long ago). The main draw for me was the video capability, the D3300 now can shoot full 1080/50P which is remarkable for such a low price. have been using the D3300 in and out of the office, shooting small videos and it's handy to have a paper reference about to answer any questions.
Anyway, this is a good book to keep at hand to get the most out of your camera.

Busy B Chalkboard Labels - Black
Busy B Chalkboard Labels - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Black board / chalk board labels for your rustic label needs., 28 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Fed up with generic labels for your home made jams & chutneys? Are there no decent clip art labels to download any more? Is the "John Bull Printing Outfit" no longer available to buy?

Well, if you want your produce labels to match the rustic recipe you so closely followed on your iPad in your luxury stainless steel kitchen then these will look such the part. Of course having the labels is only half of the job, you’ll also need something to write on them with, namely a Pack of 12 Assorted Colour Anti-Dust Stick Chalk. I found an old, half empty, all broken box of white chalk in the back of a kitchen drawer, bought for whatever reason when I moved into my house 12 years ago. They still work!

But madness what is this? Chalk technology has moved on from mere sticks? Yes, you can now buy liquid chalk marker pens, like this one:White Unique Dual Nib Liquid Chalk Marker Pen UK Free P&P Perfect For Chalkboard Blackboard Labels Crafts 3mm. All the convenience of a Sharpie, but with chalk! It also wipes off so the labels can be repurposed from strawberry jam to lemon curd to marrow chutney.

For the record, I think these look great and my Mum was delighted with the jar of piccalilli (even though it was her old recipe I used).

Nocs NS500 Aluminum Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Gold
Nocs NS500 Aluminum Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Gold

4.0 out of 5 stars Clean sound at a keen price., 26 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I normally only use Circumaural (earpads that fully encompass the ears) or Supra-aural (earpads that press against the ears) headphones as I had never found a a pair of in-ear monitors (IEMs) that sounded any good. I know a lot of people swear by them, but they either sounded tinny or felt like they were trying to crowbar my head open. I also don't care for the amount of isolation they give, I need to hear some of the world going on around me.

The Nocs NS500 are a pleasant surprise though. You get a nice box, with the various ear tips is a small logo'd zip case. There's a small "L" & "R" where the cable meets the aluminium housing (which looks more champagne coloured than gold).

I used the largest of the ear tips and they fit comfortably enough without having to jam them in to make sure they don't fall out. At the moment the sound is clean and reasonably flat, though not that much in the way of lower frequencies unless they're fitted just right. Then they sound quite full. I'm finding I don't need to have the music up as normally to get the experience I want. Less loud means better for your ears (and the sort of music I listen to doesn't have extended bass frequencies or low digital range figures anyway).

The three buttons on the cable seem to be too close to right earpiece, but with time I expect I'll get used to it. I've tried it on three music players: an Apple iPod Video, iBasso DX50 and Google Nexus 4. Only the Nexus 4 did any one of the buttons worked. That was the middle one. Single press to start & stop music and a double press to move to the next track. Microphone didn't work (as far as I could tell).

The cable, being a ribbon type while being anti tangle, is defying my attempts to straighten it out fully. Feels like I have a large piece of elastic hanging off me. Also doubt there's kevlar in the cable to stop a bullet, but hey, I'm looking forward to have these burn in and let me enjoy my music.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20