Profile for Squeebles > Reviews

(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Angry Birds Go!
Angry Birds Go!

1.0 out of 5 stars latest update looks good but too many restrictions now, 16 Dec 2014
This review is from: Angry Birds Go! (App)
Game looks better, but gameplay has suffered. I don't want to log in with Facebook (don't even have a FB account), I don't want a Rovio login. All I want is the single player game. I can't even play the weekly game half the time. Then there's the 'pay gems' to skip challenges, the price we have to pay to skip, ramps up way too quickly. You're forcing us to buy gems. Certain challenges aren't even achievable (I don't want to create a login, so cannot 'beat a friend's score') and again it's the only option is to spend cash to get on. Likewise the stupidly expensive other cars. I have unlocked all the characters just before the latest update and now the game is no longer any fun. Just a vehicle to get people to spend money.
Disappointing.

König Piano 4.0 Bluetooth Soundbar - Black
König Piano 4.0 Bluetooth Soundbar - Black
Offered by AE UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes sound sense., 14 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Always poo-pooed the idea of a soundbar. Either go with the speakers with your TV or a full blown surround AV system. You won't get any surround effects or a decent bass punch. I'm wrong. I didn't know how anaemic my TV audio sounded before the König.

The soundbar itself is a glossy black, about 32 inches long. It's not that much of a dust magnet and feels well made. The box contains a wall bracket so you can mount it under your TV if you have that setup, and a selection of audio and video cables for all the connections on the soundbar (very helpful). There are instructions, but although they're extremely basic, it's not difficult to work out. On the right end there are four buttons for power, volume up/down and audio select. The remote has more buttons, but there's no lights / display on it to show what you've chosen or sound level. On the soundbar itself there are lights to show what input you've chosen and a red led for power. An on/off switch rounds out controls on the back, so you can switch it fully off.

In use, the difference in sound quality compare to just the TV was astonishing. Despite the actual (small) size of the soundbar, there was enough of a difference in sound quality and spatial width to make films more immersive. There are three different sound presets: Music, Movie and Night for quick settings (Night mode tended to suck the life out of the audio, the TV sounded good enough).

Added bonus for the König is it's also a Bluetooth 4.0 speaker. It was easy to sync to my Nexus 7: switch on the soundbar, press the Bluetooth button on the remote. "HAV-SB500" came up and when I paired it with my tablet a short beep came from the König. That's it. Sound quality is very, very good, even with just 320kb mp3s from Amazon music app. It would make an exceptional wireless speaker even if you don't have it connected to your TV.

Guilty Gadgets ® - 5m 5 Metre HDMI to HDMI Cable Wire Lead Gold Connector Fast 1.4 Version High Speed With Ethernet Gold Connectors Cable for All Brands including Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, JVC, LG, Sharp, Plasma, LED, LCD, TV, HD, TV's, Xbox 360, PS3, SKY Digital, HDTV, Blu-Ray DVD Player, Philips, HMP2000, Apple TV, Virgin Tivo, Freesat, Freeview Box, Playstation 3, BT, Laptop, Desktop, Netbook, Surround Sound Systrem, Sky Box, F5, HDTV, Raspberry Pi, PS3, MHL, Projector
Offered by Guilty Gadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but effective HDMI 1.4 lead, 14 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wanted a longer HDMI cable to rearrange my living room so I didn't have all my AV kit directly under the TV and try and do something about the cable spaghetti. I thought 5 metres would be long enough to have everything where I wanted. Obviously, I then found out I needed more than one (Freeview box and an HDMI splitter for media player, Blu-Ray & Wii-U).

Happy to report this 'cheapie' works as well as the almost ten times more expensive (yes, I bought the hype) already had. The ends of the cables are simply moulded, but there's no wiggle in the plugs, so it should be fine for plugging in and forgetting about,

Aqua Optima EVG201 Evolve Gold 90-day Water Filter, also fits Brita* Maxtra*,2 pack - 6 months' supply

4.0 out of 5 stars Clearly better for hard water areas, but it's just a humble filter., 13 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Have been using the Aqua Optima cartridge for a few weeks now and can say it performs as well as the Brita ones only cheaper. I have a large Brita jug that takes Maxtra cartriges and the Aqua Optima slot right in. The water filters through even quicker than the Maxtra, though I did think as the raised lip of the cartridge isn't flat to the slot in the jug, the water wouldn't all drip through, but it does. We enjoy a lot of fancy oriental and herbal teas, so filtered water is a must. The Aqua Optima doesn't disappoint.

Each filter is reported to last to 90 days *or* 300 litres. So if you're using it a lot then it will need changing earlier. There's a free Aqua Optima filter replacement reminder app for iOS and Android so you know when to replace it (my Maxtra LCD jug timer failed soon after buying it, as they have always done). I tend to know when to replace the filter when I see a film on the boiled water. I live in a very hard water area so no filter lasts as long as they are supposed to by the maker.

I will note how long the cartridge lasts in an update to this review.

Other things to note, most tap water in the UK doesn't contain herbicides, pesticides, lead and other heavy metals, that's tantamount to scaremongering. You also can't recycle the cartridge (unlike the Brita ones).

Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Magic Mouse
Offered by Entrepôt électronique!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse, great price. Spend the little extra over the Mighty Mouse., 9 Dec 2014
This review is from: Apple Magic Mouse (Accessory)
Picked up one of these to use with a MacBook Pro. We use the USB Apple Mighty Mouse at work and they are a pain to use, due to the fact the scroll ball gets gunked up regularly and you can only scroll one way. The USB cable is also too short, even when plugged into the Apple USB keyboard (A1243 with numeric keyboard).

The Magic mouse is streets ahead of that. It was easy to connect via Bluetooth and I was ready to go. The mouse preferences are simple: scroll direction, secondary click, smart zoom & tracking. There's also a second page devoted to swipe between "pages", "full-screen apps" and "Mission Control". It also tells you the mouse battery level. If that's not easy enough to understand, next to each option is a small animation showing a hand controlling the mouse and the subsequent movement on screen. Very helpful.

The mouse is plastic on top and metal (aluminium?) underneath, so it's solid and quite hefty. There is a metal removable door that covers the two AA batteries that power the unit. You can use either alkaline or rechargeable batteries. The door clicks shut, but I hadn't closed it properly at first so it fell off when I picked the mouse up. There's also a small switch on the underside next to the to turn the mouse off when not using it (and saving battery life). there's no red glow from the laser this time (though that was starting to be a little tacky rather than futuristic).

The Multi-Touch area of the mouse covers the whole of the top surface of Magic Mouse, and the mouse itself is the button which is clickable from just under half way. You can either configure a one button or two button (which I did, coming from working with a PC). The weight of the mouse means it drags more than the Mighty Mouse, but it's not noticeable after a while and its ease of operation is way better than the other. Haven't tried any of the third party application support as the MacBook is only used for Final Cut Pro editing.

It certainly is a breath of fresh air after using the (no so) Mighty Mouse, just got to convince the boss to get some more in. Considering the price of the Mighty Mouse, this isn't that much more and it's way more useable.

5m Premier DisplayPort Cable ~ 24k Gold Plated ~ Black Coloured ~ High Definition ~ Home Theatre ~ Video Lead ~ Computer/PC to TV/Monitor ~ 20-pin ~Display Port
Offered by World of Data Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good cable for the money., 9 Dec 2014
Got one of these for my 2009 Mac Pro and now I can have my Mac not underneath my desk (not that it's noisy, just not a lot of room next to my PC). Cable works perfectly. It's well made, clicks solidly into place and a good price. Had bought a different cable, but it turns out neither my Mac video card nor the Dell monitor use a mini DisplayPort connector.

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 15 Feet / 4.6 meters Supports Ethernet, 3D, Audio Return

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive HDMI punches well above its price., 9 Dec 2014
Was given one of these as a present and I can now have my PC tucked away in a corner, keeping my desk clear of clutter and noise (my keyboard & mouse are both Logitech wireless). Graphics card does not support Displayport, otherwise would have gone with those.

Also would work well if you don't want to have your Blu-ray / Freesat / Freeview / media player under your TV.

Cable is well made, performs perfectly and cheap. Recommended.

Finding Vivian Maier [DVD]
Finding Vivian Maier [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Maloof

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding treasure., 5 Dec 2014
This review is from: Finding Vivian Maier [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The DVD takes 6 minutes 20 seconds before getting to the Vivian Maier front menu. You get three trailers: Night Moves [DVD], Pulp: a film about life death and supermarkets [DVD] (about the band) and Watermark a documentary about man's relationship with water. I wasn't able to skip these trailers with my Blu-ray player, so went and made a cup of tea and a sandwich (cheese & pickle if you must ask).

The documentary itself runs for one hour, 20 minutes and 45 seconds in total and is also available as a Blu-ray. The audio is 2.0 stereo and 5.1 surround, though I can't imagine what would benefit the surround sound. Extras on the disk are reached by a separate menu and you get some more 8mm cine footage by Ms. Maier herself and a theatrical trailer. To round up in the DVD case are an exclusive limited edition set of Vivian Maier postcards, though my review copy did not have these.

I have been interested in Vivian Maier since the first photos were posted onto the internet. For someone with such an eye for composition and finding the right moment for a photograph never she never wanted to show these photos to anyone else. She took thousands upon thousands of photos and many cine films and then just filed them away. The story also shows the director John Maloof from his initial (reinacted) auction win to now owning the vast majority of everything Vivian Maier left behind. It also shows how bad hoarding can be, especially if like me you have no legacy of any half decent photographs to show.

Sadly, she died before being recognized as an iconic street photographer from the 1940's, through the 1970's. The documentary can only show so many of the photos she took, but that still isn't enough. There are several reasonably priced books now out with a greater amount of prints in them, and for most people that's as close as you're going to get. Limited edition prints are also available, but the prices are going to be restrictive (though I'd still love one). I wonder if she would be pleased at the attention her work gets now, I also hope John Maloof does something good with the money he's making off her talent.

There is also a BBC documentary about Vivian Maier that is a companion piece to this film. Obviously, John Maloof doesn't feature in it as he was making his won documentary at the time. It follows a slightly different path and, if you're interested in Vivian then it's also worth tracking down.

Leitz Style 40 Pocket Display Book - Garnet Red
Leitz Style 40 Pocket Display Book - Garnet Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book binder for my favourite recipes., 1 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have many, many cook books and although I put book marks in pages to remember what recipes I have had success with, I always have to trawl through several books before finding the right recipe.

Now I just photocopy the relevant page, or print off a recipe from the internet and file it away in a display book like this one. I was using a cheaper, different brand of this sort of folder, but even with only 20 plastic pockets it was unable to stand properly and the pockets were tearing their perforations at the spine.

The Leitz Style 40, for not much more money, is a far better built display book. The cover is strong, yet stylish, made from a plastic that is easy to wipe clean. I now have more pockets to better organise my recipes, in fact the front of the book will be starters & main courses, while from the middle onwards with be puddings and cakes. Of course I will be keeping my recipe books, but it's good to have a selection of favourite recipes close to hand. The Leitz Style 40 is a stylish way to keep them to hand.

[Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] Inateck 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk HDD External Enclosure Case with usb 3.0 Cable for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5" SATA HDD and SSD, Tool-free HDD Installation, Compatible With Windows 2000/ XP /Vista/ 7/ 8, Mac OS 9.1/10.8.4
Offered by Inateck

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the most from your SSD or HDD over USB3.0, 21 Nov 2014
Superb bit o' kit. Needed an external SSD drive case when I was unable to format a new SSD in either my Mac or PC (no idea why it wasn't recognised in either). Simple to use, slid off the cover, slotted the SSD into the connectors and put the lid back. I used the spare foam sticker to keep the drive snug. Simples, also, as others have reported, the on/off switch is a useful addition. No tools required. Good quality USB3 cable included.

Plugged into my Mac Pro's [Optimized for Mac Pro] Inateck® 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card and was able to format the drive using Disk Utility. I then ran the Blackmagic Speed Test on the drive, still connected to USB3, and the results were astoundingly fast.

It's Plug 'n Play. Very useful to have as on hand with new drives.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20