Profile for Squeebles > Reviews

Content by Squeebles
Top Reviewer Ranking: 891

Squeebles (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Garnier Ambre Solaire Ultimate Blends Shine Conditioner 400 ml - Pack of 6
Garnier Ambre Solaire Ultimate Blends Shine Conditioner 400 ml - Pack of 6

4.0 out of 5 stars A shiner, not a conditioner, 29 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This conditioner is absolutely for shine, not moisturising or detangling. I have long, thick, coarse hair and working this conditioner through wet hair was very difficult. It didn't have any 'conditioning' effect, so my hair stayed coarse with no moisture to allow movement.

Rinsing the conditioner off, my hair was left 'squeaky clean'. This is not a good thing. It was as if there was no conditioner used whatsoever. My hair felt raw and tangled. It was incredibly difficult to comb and the unconditioned ends felt scratchy.

But... for shine, the conditioner did work very well. After easing the bottom third of my hair with Moroccan oil, the shine on the upper two thirds was very noticeable, and the shine effect did last until the next washing two days later.

It's a good product. Lovely smell, bargain price, nice consistency, delivers the shine it promises. But if you need the actions of a hair conditioner this doesn't deliver.

AmazonBasics Everyday Double Fitted Sheet, Dark Green
AmazonBasics Everyday Double Fitted Sheet, Dark Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely budget buy, 29 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Amazon Basics bedding has been surprising good quality. I bought John Lewis's equivalent bedding a few weeks ago, and returned it as it was so thin and shapeless. This Amazon bedding is much, much better.

I expected a huge dye loss during the first washes, but there was none. The Colour Catcher sheet in the washing machine stayed completely white. I had the green duvet cover and pillowcase set a few weeks (and a few washes) before getting this matching sheet, and the greens still match perfectly.

I've washed the sheet on a 40 degree general cottons wash ( 2 hour cycle with a 1400 spin) and there's been no shrinking or twisting.

I'll definitely be buying a second set in a contrasting colour.

skinChemists Coldtox Serum 25 ml
skinChemists Coldtox Serum 25 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Cosmetic make-up, not a skin care cream, 27 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I admit it, I didn't expect this product to work... but it does! But only within boundaries.

This is a cosmetic make-up cream, not a skin care cream. You don't 'use regularly to see effects'. You use it like a foundation, as and when you want.

It doesn't fill wrinkles (it doesn't claim to), but it does blur out fine lines to a decent degree. I used it on my forehead and some small crows feet around my eyes, and there was definitely the appearance of improvement. No question.

The downside is the feel of the serum on the skin. It goes on like a smooth, absorbent, Vaseline. There's a mild citrus (?) smell and the skin feels cool, as if there's menthol on it. After a few minutes that effect passes and the skin feels tightened, contracted. To me, that felt quite unpleasant. I could clearly feel which parts of my face had the cream on, as they felt tight and rigid... but that's how most of these creams work.

The pot is a decent size, as you only place the serum where and when it's needed, you don't slather it on, I estimate you'd get about five months of daily use from it. It's a nice, sturdy container - pretty enough for a dressing table, strong enough to withstand handbags.

The serum is non greasy on the skin and makes a good, smooth base for make-up.

Yes, it's pricey, but it's in the same price range as Clinique and Dermalogica, so it's standard market price.

Not a miracle worker, but definitely effective.

Bosch TDS3872GB Steam Generator Iron, 3100 W - White
Bosch TDS3872GB Steam Generator Iron, 3100 W - White

4.0 out of 5 stars A good deal of technology in your hand (and no Bob Marley puns*), 25 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd like to give this 4.5 stars, it's brilliant, but not perfect.

I currently use a Philips Steam Generator iron, which costs £100 less than this Bosch. Both the cheaper Philips and this Bosch iron beautifully, so what do you get for the extra £100?

The Bosch has the option of an automated temperature control - it decides the optimum ironing heat and automatically adjusts to each garment. Just like the cover-all "daily wash" cycle on a washing machine, the auto heat selector worked okay, but just okay. I had to iron polyester trousers twice to get a good result.

The Bosch has an anti-shine feature, preventing the iron leaving shiny patches on dark materials.I couldn't see any difference in shine risk, but it's a very nice feature to have. There's also a 'clean the iron' reminder setting, which I love, though most high quality irons have this feature now.

For me, the Bosch's weaknesses are the steam shot - it was very hit and miss at times, and the fact you can't (shouldn't) balance the iron upright on the ironing board... Then there's the price. It is a great iron, but I'm not sure it's worth £100 more than other brand versions.

*(as in Iron, Zion, Lion)

Murad Oil Control Mattifier SPF15 50 ml
Murad Oil Control Mattifier SPF15 50 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong Tea Tree Scent, 20 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an oil control cream for the face, neck and chest. It's for 'blemish control' (so to help prevent zits), and doesn't have a cosmetic effect - so no pore minimising, no dewy sheen or whatever (I was hoping for a medicated version on Benefit's POREfessional, but that's not the case here!).

The mattifier goes on after cleansing and instead of a moisturiser. It reeks of tea tree to the point where it made my eyes water.

The cream is thick and heavy, it drags over the skin as you apply it. But it does absorb quickly and doesn't leave obvious residue. The instructions say "Apply liberally to face, neck and chest". If you follow those instructions you'll only get two applications out of the tube. Personally I just applied it to the T-zone and a chest troublespot.

I tested the cream on work days when I knew I'd be based in the workplace hot zones - where you do heavy manual work and the aircon is broken. The cream held up reasonably well. After 3 hours I reapplied it, and at the end of the 6 hour shift I was definitely less of an oil slick than usual. I did feel a degree of grot build up, whether it was the cream itself or oil beneath the cream I don't know. But once home I desperately wanted to wash everything off my face.

This cream comes in about mid-market price. Treble the price of high street equivalents, half the price of the Dermalogica equivalent. The big downside for me was the overpowering smell. I got so sick of work colleagues saying "You smell of antiseptic, have you cut yourself?".

It's a nice enough product, and value for money if you don't follow the instructions to smother yourself in it, but I wouldn't buy it and I don't expect to use it again.

AmazonBasics Everyday Double Duvet Set, Dark Green, with 2 pillowcases
AmazonBasics Everyday Double Duvet Set, Dark Green, with 2 pillowcases

5.0 out of 5 stars The colour is Pantone "Pine Green", 16 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This set comprises two pillow cases and a duvet. The pillows have an end-fold so the pillow doesn't slide out while you're asleep and the duvet cover has buttons and eylets instead of press studs (which is good, I always try and pull them apart with my toes when I can't sleep).

As with the other AmazonBasics range it is 100% cotton and 200 thread count. They're not the most luxurious feel, but it's a good cotton for a summer bed linen, you're not going to overcook.

As with my other AmazonBasics bedlinen, this is really much better cloth once it has been through a wash. Unlike cheaper linen, it does wash well and is far nicer after a wash & blow on the line. The colour is given as "dark green" but I ran it through a Pantone colour checker app and it comes out instead as "pine green." It's actually darker / bolder than is shown on screen, but looks better, I think.

Philips Pulse Relief Wireless Electro Pulse Therapy
Philips Pulse Relief Wireless Electro Pulse Therapy

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with both Apple and Android devices., 14 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have long suffered, on and off, with a lower back problem caused by sleeping on hard ground on a camping trip. Luckily it doesn't spasm that often, but thanks to some hard gardening and being a couch potato it has flared up again.

I don't own any of the compatible iOS hardware, but my Nexus 5 mobile and 2013 Nexus 7 are both able to run the app. It's easy to search on Google Play, just type in "Philips Treatment" for the correct app. If you don't have either an iOS or Android capable device then the Philips PR3093/00 has the same electrodes, controlled by a separate control unit.

Charging is by USB cable and a wall plug. I gave them six hours to charge, but they finished before that. The instructions say the unit will give (up to) 8 hours of use before needing recharging, which is impressive.

There are four electrodes, sticky pads, in the box, and they are re-useable up to 20 times, so two people can use the unit at any one time (though not at the same time). Replacement electrodes are available to buy as well. The electrodes themselves connect to the pads with magnets and as you're going to be sitting or lying still while the treatment runs, they're not going to fall off.

The app itself walks you through all the locations available and the settings, to avoid any confusion (and possible danger!), there are 15 treatments with 60 intensity levels in total. It's very comprehensive and gives much more information than a normal controller would. The app also has memory settings as well, so if when you find a level that works for you, it remembers what it was.

In use, it seemed to help reduce the amount of pain in my lower back and it also has helped my other half when she is stricken with a particularly painful period, which makes it more useful in this household.

Recommended.

L'Oreal Garnier Intensive SOS Hand Cream - 100 ml
L'Oreal Garnier Intensive SOS Hand Cream - 100 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective cream, but instructions would be helpful, 11 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely hand cream. Usually my hands are parched again within a few minutes of applying hand cream, but this really does have a long lasting effect. It claims to be resistant to one round of handwashing, and that seems to be true. There is a barrier cream effect.

The cream does take a moment to sink in, and leaves a slightly slippery layer on the skin. There's no transfer to items you touch (no grease marks left), but holding something like a teapot handle is a bit difficult. (The cream is a glycerine and silicone mix. The shea butter is quite low on the list of ingredients.)

I like the cream a lot, but I wish it came with instructions. This is an "Intensive 7 Days Restoring" hand cream. So is this a general daily use hand cream, or an occasional week-long treatment? Should it be used routinely twice a day, or as and when needed? Not hugely important for a relatively cheapo hand cream, but it would be nice to know.

TP-LINK UE300 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter with Foldable and Portable Design for Ultrabook

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful widget that works to connect you when wi-fi won't, 7 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Have tried this dongle with a Windows 8.1 Acer Ultrabook and a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.10.4 (Yosemite). Neither devices had provision for a wired ethernet cable (one of the problems with making laptops slimmer and lighter).

Neither laptop had any problem connecting to the internet and I got the same maximum speed from my BT Infinity internet as my Gigabit wired PC.

Also tried with my other half's Windows 7 PC that has intermittent connection problems (due to the location it is connected with TP-Link HomePlugs). It seems that problem is from the network hardware or drivers from the motherboard because using the UE300 it has been rock solid.

All in, a great little device to have on hand. Only found getting the cable out from its little clip was difficult, I bent a fingernail back doing it the first time.

Philips HR1868/81 Avance Collection Quick Clean Juicer, 2.5 Litre, 700 Watt - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for fruit, not so for veg., 28 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's big, bigger than I thought it was going to be, but that's because this juicer has a strong motor. Somehow Philips thinks we all have huge kitchens, cleaned by staff and that we keep all our exciting kitchen gadgets on show. Not so, this juicer will take up a lot of cupboard space.

It's good, but I've been using a Matstone 6 in 1 Ivory Juicer the last couple of years, which is a masticating juicer that crushes and grind the fibres of your ingredients at a slower rate. The pulp from the Matstone is far drier, more juice is extracted from the fruits & veg. I've used the pulps in the past in adding taste, colour or fibre in cooking, so little goes to waste. The Philips loses points here, however and produces a far wetter pulp.

Operation of the Philips is pretty simple with a large diameter feed tube, so there's less preparation time with chopping the fruits to fit. Pretty much all the pulp is collected in a donut shaped container. It was easy to assemble, not helped by the slightly confusing instructions (that were also for other models), however the much touted cleaning QuickClean / Rinse technology didn't hit the one minute mark as suggested. With all juicers, it's imperative to clean all the parts as soon as you've finished juicing. Otherwise the sticky stuff will set hard and you'll be scrubbing more than you want.

The Philips shreds well, is a simple setup for great tasting fruit juice and smoothies straight to a jug, but isn't as good for vegetables than a masticating juicer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20