Profile for L. W. Bowler > Reviews

HTC Flat Cable Wired Headset - White
HTC Flat Cable Wired Headset - White
Offered by Ekow Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality sound and design for a budget price, 21 July 2012
Being a little vain and an audio snob, I wanted a headset that would look and sound good with my HTC One X (white). I bought them 'on a whim' and must admit I am impressed.

Like some people have reported, I had to mess around with the different sized ear buds but ended up with the smallest feeling comfortable and presenting the best bass response.

They are very nicely designed and the inline controls and mic are a huge plus. The bass is just perfect, punchy and powerful - I use the beats audio setting. You can spend 10 times the amount that these earphones cost and end up with the same sound quality. Ditch the generic earphones that come with your phone and treat yourself to these

The Hits Collection
The Hits Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars Yet another compilation!, 14 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Hits Collection (Audio CD)
Why then, have I given it four stars?

Well, from what seems like hundreds of Culture Club hits/best of compilations, this version includes nearly all of Culture Clubs Hits, rare B Sides, choice album tracks and a few remixes and all for £5!

There are a few singles missing (Your kisses are charity, Cold shoulder/Starman etc) but to make up for this, the glorious Man shake and Colour by Numbers are included. There are even a couple of tracks that I don't recognise! Strangely, a remix of Generations of Love is also included?

If you want to purchase an overview (with a few rare gems on it) of one of the greatest 80s bands, then this compilation could just be what you are looking for.

HTC Flyer 7 inch 32GB Android Tablet PC with WiFi and 3G
HTC Flyer 7 inch 32GB Android Tablet PC with WiFi and 3G
Offered by Shelfone™

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect 7" Tablet, 18 Dec 2011
Before purchasing the 3G Flyer, I had the Samsung 7" tab and then the Asus Transformer. I found the Asus too big and heavy for daily use and carrying around and therefore I hardly used it.

The Flyer is a perfect size for me, a crisp 7" screen and it's light enough to hold in one hand while watching videos, browsing, ebooks etc.

The 3G version has just been updated to Honeycomb 3.2 (before it was Gingerbread 2.3 - mainly made for mobile phones), so the update is a welcomed addition.

In the box, you get a case (white leather), stylus pen, charger, USB cable etc, therefore I did not need to buy any additional accessories. The internal memory is 16GB and you also get a 16GB micro SD card, total of 32GB. If you are familiar with HTC, you will know that they use their own purpose built Android overlay called "Sense" - perfect for Facebook, Movies, Bookmarks, weather etc.

The Flyer is quick at processing tasks, the display is fluid and flows very nicely.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2012 8:58 AM GMT

Dentemp One Step No Mix Tooth Filling Material
Dentemp One Step No Mix Tooth Filling Material
Offered by Pharmacy Vitamins

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for emergencies, 9 Dec 2011
I was on holiday in New York and I cracked a tooth, it was awful. Jagged, scratching the side of my mouth and what felt like a huge hole. I went to a nearby Pharmacy and purchased Dentemp OS not expecting it be very good but I was desperate!

Well, it proved me wrong! Very simple to use, roll a small amount in between your fingertips and press into the hole/crack. Bite down on it and it was finished. I expected it to fall out within a hour or so, but no, it stayed there for over 7 days until I was able to get to my dentist in the UK. It took about an hour to 'set' and it became solid and I was able to eat on it (as it claims). It does taste of clove oil for the first few hours but I guess this is the ingredient that numbs toothache if you have it.

Highly recommend! I haven't seen this brand sold on the UK high-street, so i've since ordered some online as a 'just in case'.

Britney Spears: The Femme Fatale Tour - Live [DVD] [2011] [NTSC]
Britney Spears: The Femme Fatale Tour - Live [DVD] [2011] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Britney Spears

2.0 out of 5 stars If you seek ......... live vocals, 28 Nov 2011
Then, please don't expect any on this DVD!!!

First of all, I love Britney - a fan since the beginning. I think her music and image is better than ever but I'm starting to tire of this kind of 'plastic' performing. Minimal dance moves that rely mostly on the dancers while Britney simply does haircography, hand swirls and props. If you spot a live vocal coming from Britney's mouth then you're doing better than me - it's actually quite shocking. She even attempts to mime ad libs, laughs and vocodered vocals!

Pink, Lady Gaga, Madonna, Kylie - they all perform, they all sing live, so ........ why can't Britney???

The show itself is clever and entertaining but does not push any boundaries or makes you question any of its content.

I now know why I stopped going to see Britney live in concert, I think artists/singers should be made to sing live - it's their job and it contradicts the whole 'live in concert' statement.

I'll continue to buy Britney's albums but out of principle will not pay £50+ to watch someone lip-sync.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2011 10:42 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars From yellow to pretty blonde!, 24 July 2011
I, like many others, bleached my hair at home at came up with a 'lovely' yellow mass of hair on my head! As I had bleached my hair before (6 or 7 years back), I knew that a dye would fix the problem. Not knowing that hair dyes had changed and you can no longer buy a 'Light Ash blonde' with a toner included in the supermarkets/boots/superdrug etc etc (it's salon only apparently now), but I did try a dye that had no effect at all. After a quick internet search, I came across Manic Panic and being 'desperate', I purchased a bottle of the Virgin Snow toner/mixer. Delivery was quick (3 days) but was surprised how small the bottle was. Anyway, I applied an amount to my hair and left it for 30 minutes (the bottle states 15-30 minutes). After washing it out, I was not left with the blonde/white hair that it promised but some of the yellow was definitely paler. 3 days later, I applied it again, this time for an hour and applied some heat (wrapped cling film). This time, I noticed a big difference, the yellow was barely visible and I was left with a lovely light blonde shade. Now I'm at the point trying to decide if I actually want to go any lighter/white as i'm sure another application of Manic Panic will produce those results. I have used about a third of the bottle (value for money). So in conclusion, this product does actually work (maybe not with the first try), but do try again and you will see a big difference.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2013 5:50 PM GMT

Michael Jackson's Vision [DVD] [2010]
Michael Jackson's Vision [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Michael Jackson

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Packaging, Poor Quality Picture, 13 Dec 2010
Do NOT believe what you read on this DVDs packaging - Restored/Remastered? The picture quality is disgraceful!

I had such high hopes for this collection and yes, the packaging is beautiful, the sound is fresh and I also love the intros to each of the videos but there is one major problem - the picture quality of the majority of the videos is awful. MJ made revolutionary videos and i'm sure he insisted on the best cinematic technology at the time of making these videos. Therefore, I can only ask Sony, why the hell have you messed up in transferring these to a format that looks distorted/pixelated and basically a cheap VHS copy?

Before it's release, I was wondering why this compilation wasn't available on Blu-ray and I now I know - Sony took the cheap route and could never have remastered these videos to high definition!!

Such a shame and such a waste!

Bill
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2010 9:06 AM GMT

LA State of Mind [CD + DVD]
LA State of Mind [CD + DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars An honest review!, 12 July 2005
What can I say about this CD? Should I follow the usual critics and have a go at Melanie's rumoured reluctance to join the spice re-union, blab on about her past glories and failures? No is the simple answer! Her previous album 'Hot' didn't feel quite right for me, so as I begun to play this album I was pleasantly surprised by its direction and overall feel. It's a journey, full of summer sunshine, hope and lyrics that have come from the heart.
Today
The first single from the album. A song about positivity, the dawning of a new day with a feeling of new beginnings and dreams. The music is catchy, makes you bop your head, lovely string arrangements and Mel's voice is in fine form. 8/10

Stay in bed days
We all have these days, pull the covers back over your head and ignore the world for a day. Musically, I'd compare it to Sheryl Crow's sound, upbeat, full of guitars and melodic, plus the hand claps sound great!! 7/10
Beautiful girl
A beautiful ballad about her daughter Pheonix. Usually I shy away from Pop mum's songs about their kids (usually over sentimental and sickly) but this simple song hits all the right emotions and can easily be directed to a loved one of your own. I would liken this song to the Spice Girls song 'Goodbye'. 9/10
Music of the night (perdido)
I'm a sucker for latino tinged pop songs and this one is no exception. Salsa overload and shimmering all over the place. Uplifting, melodic and fun. Perfect summer song and one of my favourites. 10/10
If I had my life again
A song about no regrets, mid tempo style, gentle strumming guitars and piano led. Picks up in middle of the song but the song is neither great nor bad. Nice enough but nothing special. 5/10
In too deep
This song has a beautiful chorus and I don't know what it is about this song, but I love it. Has a wonderful piano solo and the vocals are lovely. Another upbeat song, which sounds organic and natural. 8/10
Sweet pleasure
The song starts with a wonderful 80s retro beat, has interesting vocal effects and is sultry and sensual. Not sure about the spoken versuses, it is possible to love the sound of a song but not enjoy the content that much? Guess I would prefer an instrumental version of the song. 5/10
L.A. state of mind
A summery, roof down on the car and heading for the beach song. Another likening to the Sheryl Crow sound. Great holiday song but living in Northern England, with mostly rain and heading for create jungles, the song doesn't relate well to me, but I guess provides a little escapism and describes another way of life for some people. 6/10
Say say say
My favourite song on the album, simplistic but so beautiful and easily relatable to relationships with special friends and loved ones. To me, this song has the flavour of a stripped down version of 2 become 1. 10/10
Bad bad girl
An 80's electro synth rock track that's 'in your face' and sounds like nothing else on the album, but variety being the spice of life it's more than welcome. Not a great song but enjoyable. 6/10
Hold on
The 'torch' song of the album. A song about self belief and determination. This could easily be one of those great Spice Girl's ballads. Again, simplistic in its arrangement and sound but with a soaring chorus and wonderful vocal from Melanie. 9/10

The Very Best Of
The Very Best Of

5.0 out of 5 stars Can you keep a secret? the CD is fab!!, 1 Jun 2005
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
If you love all things 80's, then this CD should be part of your collection. It's true, brother beyond never changed the face of pop music, but contained on this compilation are some excellent 80's pop gems.
Listening to the CD, I couldn't help but sing along and move my feet. The CD contains all the singles released by the Group in the UK but also, which makes this CD special for me, five 12" mixes which are very hard to find or never issued on CD. Being able to blast 'Be my twin' (12" mix) with perfect CD quality was a very joyous moment indeed!!

Superhits
Superhits

5.0 out of 5 stars making waves yet again, 30 Mar 2005
This review is from: Superhits (Audio CD)
For me, this is the perfect Nolans collection. As a kid, i played the 'Making waves' LP to death and one day hoped the songs would make it onto CD. I've been fooled in the past by other nolans 'best ofs' and 'Greatest hits' which turned out to be re-recordings of the original songs. On this CD though you get the original songs, issued by Sony Music and polished for digital and guess what, they still sound fantastic - many happy memories re-appear!!! For those of you that dont want album fillers and re-recorded songs, this CD is perfect for you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5