Profile for Becky > Reviews

Dvd ~ Tom Hardy
Offered by Champion Toys
Price: 4.89

5.0 out of 5 stars So, so good., 2 Sep 2009
I was really looking forward to this adaptation, being disappointed by the 1992 version with Ralph Fiennes. I haven't read the book in some time so I found I was slightly lost at the beginning but that was soon forgotten.
The casting was superb: Tom Hardy was, for me, THE Heathcliff. His rugged look was perfect and his acting skills are just wonderful. The scene where Nelly tells him Cathy had died was beautiful, I found myself crying with him.
Charlotte Riley as Cathy was exactly as I had pictured her when reading the novel, and as a newcomer was fantastic. I also particularly enjoyed the love triangle between Heathcliff, Cathy and Edgar. This was how it should be. Even the youngsters at the beginning and end were brilliant. Sarah Lancashire was excellent as Nelly Dean; we saw the story through her eyes.
Although when Cathy tells Nelly of her engagement to Edgar some parts of that beautiful speech are missing they still included the most part. And, probably my favourite scene in the adaptation, when Heathcliff lifts Cathy up in his arms and tells her to hanut him, was so moving and well acted that I could finally say this was as good as the book. And it takes a lot for me to say that.
The book is, in my opinion, the greatest novel and love story of all time, and this version would, I think, make even Emily Bronte proud.
I was in tears by the end of it, Tom Hardy and Charlotte Riley deserve to be bombarded with awards, and lets hope they win them!
Thoroughly recommend this to anybody and cannot wait to get my hands on my own copy.

Quicken The Heart (CD+DVD)
Quicken The Heart (CD+DVD)
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 8.68

5.0 out of 5 stars It quickens my heart.., 10 Aug 2009
Not having been a large fan of the park up until early this year I couldn't believe just what I had missed. Fantastic lyrics, a gorgeous voice singing, stunning sounds. And a keyboard player. A tiny detail to some but as a keyboard player myself I'm finding there are less bands including said players anymore.
I was eangerly awaiting this album, having pre-ordered as soon as I heard it was out. I steered clear of any reviews until I'd heard it myself. Wraithlike and The Kids Are Sick Again had already been blasted through my speakers from youtube, giving me a fairly good idea of what to expect.
Unfortunately I have to say I wasn't grabbed when hearing it first. I put it on repeat and soon found, to my surprise, I was singing the words. As he says, If it's a grower, why can't we take things slower? Well, Mr Smith, I was prepared to take Quicken The Heart slowly, and found it really was a grower.
Delving further I fell quietly in love.
Calm.
One of their best songs yet? I think so. Those beautiful melodies, the sweet lyrics and that tiny keyboard pattern that totally makes the song. That, and Questing, Not Coasting (thank god it's a single!) are the two highlights for me. Something else I've recently discovered: That Beating Heart - B side to Questing. Such a shame it wasn't included on the album, as soon as the piano began I was hooked. Also if not buying from iTunes I thoroughly recommend Lost Property: a quiet song, but lovely in its own right.
Weak points: Wraithlike, The Kids Are Sick Again and Overland. On their own they're superb, but next to the other songs? Not quite.
So, their best album? Better than their second, and probably on a par with their first.
A simply beautiful album.
Oh, and the dvd. It's a shame it didn't have live footage of the new album, but when you watch it, that doesn't seem to matter anymore. They create such an atmosphere, performing almost better live than on record. It's nice to see footage from two completely different gigs intertwined. Again, highlights: I Want You To Stay and Acrobat.
It's brilliant to not only have them on record, but also see them live. Really there isn't much difference.
Such an underated band, but maybe it's better like that. No radio stations playing them to death like they do to so many other songs.
Go buy this album now, you won't regret it and the songs will stay with you long after you heard them.
Next stop: seeing them live for myself!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2009 8:46 PM BST

Jane Eyre (BBC) [2007] [DVD] [2006]
Jane Eyre (BBC) [2007] [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Ruth Wilson
Price: 4.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 11 Mar 2007
This was brilliant!! The best adaptation by far. Jane and Rochester were portrayed wonderfully by newcomer Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens. This was the first time I had seen either of them and I was not disappointed.

When I first heard it was on, I didn't watch it as I thought, Oh there's another Jane Eyre, someone else trying to be new. How I was mistaken!

Although not word for word, it does follow the book very well.

After having been sent to a boarding school by her selfish and very horrible Aunt, Jane advertises to be a governess. She soon recieves a reply and is shortly at Thornfield Hall. There she is governess to one Adele Varens. Soon after her arrival she meets the master of the house, strange Mr Rochester. I couldn't wait to see what he would be like and I was pleasantly surprised: the best Rochester in my eyes.

In fact, it was so good I almost didn't watch the last half hour of it, so I could save it. I was very pleased to see how much they had included with St John Rivers and his sisters, because for me this is a very moving part of the story and some adaptations I have seen have missed a lot of this out.

Ruth Wilson, for her first major part in anything, was superb, a brilliant Jane Eyre; she was plain enough for Jane but beautiful enough to sit and watch her for four hours.

Not to be missed!