Profile for Chris Stokes > Reviews

Content by Chris Stokes

Chris Stokes

ASUS TX201LA Transformer Trio 11.6-inch Touchscreen 3-In-1 Tablet/PC/Laptop (Silver) - (Intel Core i5 4200U/Intel Atom Z2560 1.6GHz, 6GB RAM, 516GB Storage, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

1.0 out of 5 stars Sluggish and frustrating experience, 17 Jun. 2014
I ordered my Transformer Book Trio as soon as it was released, as I was intrigued by its combination of Windows 8 and Android, and being able to use it as a laptop, desktop and tablet. Whats not to like? Unfortunately, this product falls far short then I expected and I have had nothing but bad experiences with it.

Lets start with the pros, as I would be remiss if I didn't let you know what I liked about the machine. When it works, it is convenient to have Windows 8 and Android on the go. The touch screen is responsive and looks good (while its working, more on that later) and I personally like the tablets large size for watching movies and TV shows. The desktop does start up pretty quickly, in my opinion. And I can see, if you have a family, how it would be convenient to have your kids playing on the tablet, and you using the desktop (or vice-versa). However, most of these positive points are unrealized and let down by poor hardware and software options.

Now for the cons. Like I said, I feel like I have just had one bad experience after another with this product. It will probably be easiest to read if I bullet point each comment.

- Firstly, when you update to Windows 8.1, there is not a driver in place to turn the screen back on once it goes to sleep. This is a very common problem and if you do a Google search on the subject, many users are having this problem. Some people have been able to stop their computer from going to sleep, which in their case resolves the problem. However, no matter what I tried, this did not work for me and I had to restore it to factory settings so it would run Windows 8 again (where the screen works).

- Its just so damned slow! For a new piece of tech, I was expecting my Windows 8 experience to be zippy and quick. This is not the case. When you click an icon in the dash board, it takes a good few seconds to load up, I'd average about 5-10 seconds.I'm really not exaggerating. I believe it is because it has a HDD (as opposed to a SSD), so unless you are tech-savvy enough to put a SSD into it (which I believe most people probability are not), you are going to get a slow, sluggish experience. It's basically been enough to put me off using the Windows 8 dashboard and basically sticking to the traditional Windows 7-like interface.

- The tablet is OK. I would describe it as a middle of the road Android tablet. Be advised, it will not let you instal Flash player so if you want to stream live sports, you will not be able to. I find if you have too many programs open or too many tabs on a internet browser (I use Firefox), the tablet will struggle and freeze. You can't overload it.

- My tablet has stopped working. I went to use it about a week ago, and its not turning on. It won't charge when in laptop mode, and it won't charge when the tablet is plugged into the wall. I am currently waiting to hear back from Asus support about this issue. But as of right now, I can only use this 3-in-one machine as a desktop, which is not what it was designed for.

- There is a button that switches between Windows 8 mode and Android mode when using it as a laptop. This button often does work smoothly, but I can guarantee that it will also get confused and not switch from time to time, leading to the screen to freeze.

- This final complaint could well be my fault, however I can't think how I could have caused this problem (as I have not deleted anything or changed any settings) so I'm going to inform you about it as well. The touch pad will work for approx 30 seconds, then stops. It just does not respond to anything else I do, so I have to use a wireless mouse. Very frustrating.

This is actually my first review on Amazon, so that just demonstrates how frustrated and let down I feel with this product. I have had nothing but bad experiences, and I can honestly say it is the worst investment I have made. Please think twice about purchasing this product as I would hate for anyone else to have to find its shortcomings like I have.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2014 7:59 PM BST