Profile for Olivia Flynn > Reviews

Content by Olivia Flynn

Olivia Flynn (London, UK)

100g 99.9% Pure Aloe Vera Gel
100g 99.9% Pure Aloe Vera Gel
Offered by Naissance

5.0 out of 5 stars NOTHING SHORT OF MIRACULOUS, 31 Jan 2014
We have been using this Aloe Vera Gel on our daughter's skin now for a month. She has had chronic eczema since she was born and it has been a cause of much suffering and discomfort for her. We have tried every eczema cure on the market (including other types of aloe vera) and, for the last few years, she has been on grade 4 steroid treatment and wet-wrapping twice weekly. Since using this gel, her skin has cleared. We are not using steroids, she is comfortable, she is happy. It is nothing short of a miracle. I know eczema is a complex condition and this gel might not give everyone the results we have seen but it is definitely worth a try. This gel has changed the life of a little girl and I will be telling everybody I know about this product. THANK YOU.

The No-Cry Separation Anxiety Solution: Gentle Ways to Make Good-bye Easy from Six Months to Six Years
by Elizabeth Pantley

1.0 out of 5 stars Empty platitudes and stating the obvious - not worth the cover price, 20 Mar 2012
I bought this book on the strength of other Amazon reviews as I was having trouble settling my child at pre-school. It came recommended with 5-star reviews and I was hoping for some real, concrete help and insight on the issue of separation anxiety.
This book is utter nonsense: the author has filled 200-odd pages with repetitious platitudes and basically useless advice. Most of what she says is common sense: reassure your child, separation anxiety is normal, etc, etc. Don't we all know that?
Pantley's earth-shattering theory is based around the idea that you should play peek-a-boo with your child (to show that you always come back!) and maybe give nursery a break if it's not working out. And if you give them a bracelet to wear, then everything will be OK. A free bracelet is included with this book and it's a cheap, nasty piece of polyester that my eczema-prone child could never wear.
Not worth a fraction of the cover price - Emperor's new clothes. Most of this stuff parents already know; the rest you can get from chatting to teachers or other mothers. AVOID.

The Very Thought of You
The Very Thought of You
by Rosie Alison

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, badly written, bogged down in its own research, 17 Jun 2010
I was interested in the subject of this book - the experiences of evacuees during WW2 - but it seems that the author should perhaps have written a non-fiction book instead of a novel. She has no feel for fiction at all, no sense of what makes a plot tick along, no instinct when it comes to creating believable, three-dimensional characters, no flair for language. The facts and experiences of the book are interesting but as a 'novel' it completely falls apart. The dialogue is thick and clunking; there are far too many sentences like 'She was now eleven; a whole year had passed'; what motivates the protagonists is often opaque and rushed; there are far too many characters and Thomas doesn't do any of them justice. Best avoided.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2010 9:55 AM GMT