Profile for Bob > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Tala Three Tier Non-stick Cake Cooling Rack
Tala Three Tier Non-stick Cake Cooling Rack

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought them twice, 6 Jun 2014
Some stacking cooling racks don't fold down and others collapse unexpectedly, squashing your precious cakes; some aren't non-stick, and have large gaps between the wires for slim cakes/biscuits to fall through; and some are just too expensive. These ones address all of the above issues. Bought for one relative who was happy enough to recommend them to another.

Sony MDR-ZX100 Outdoor Headband Headphones - Black
Sony MDR-ZX100 Outdoor Headband Headphones - Black
Offered by Lovely Gifts

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate Replacement, 6 Jun 2014
While they do the job and I have no complaints about the audio, I find these headphones rather uncomfortable in comparison to the set they replaced. The cable length was as listed and they would be fine straight out of the box with an mp3 player or PC, but you will probably need to buy an extension cable to use them with a television.

The Thin Red Line [1999] [DVD]
The Thin Red Line [1999] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sean Penn
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Art not Action, 6 Jun 2014
Terrence Malik's style won't be to everybody's taste. If you're expecting Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Letters From Iwo Jima, or even Apocalypse Now, you should know that this doesn't have the straightforward narrative structure of those films. It's more like a snapshot in the life of a unit, interspersed with some individual memories and internal monologues, and with beautiful visuals as we simply observe the time and place.

The aforementioned monologues sound like carefully crafted prose delivered by actors rather than ordinary men, which might be a step too far from reality for some viewers. I found the purely visual flashbacks of a previous life or loved one more affecting. Moments of tension, action, terror and madness occasionally bring you back to reality, but I expect 'dreamlike' is an adjective more often applied to Malik's films. Films like this are best watched alone in my opinion, something to lose yourself in rather than be gripped by.

3.5mm Stereo Jack to Socket Headphone Extension GOLD Cable 2m
3.5mm Stereo Jack to Socket Headphone Extension GOLD Cable 2m
Offered by kenable_ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Headphone Extension Lead, 24 Mar 2014
I recently replaced a pair of headphones but the cable on the new pair was shorter than the previous set. This solves the problem. The connectors and the sound quality are all fine and the price was good. There are probably fancier cables out there but this does the job for me.

Y The Last Man Deluxe Edition HC Vol 01
Y The Last Man Deluxe Edition HC Vol 01
by Brian K. Vaughn

3.0 out of 5 stars Y All the Fuss?, 18 Mar 2014
I was on the lookout for something new and this comic featured in many people's top ten around the web, but Volume 1 didn't really grab me. Beyond the covers I don't find the art particularly interesting or special, and while I appreciate it still requires talent to draw this way (and this deluxe version has some nice preliminary drawings at the back), I'd say the style was functional.

One or two points about the story (might be considered spoilers, so beware!!). The main character: an escapologist (will he use that later!?) called Yorick with a pet monkey and family in the Whitehouse. This is the last man, really? I think I prefer an ordinary character I can relate to. I also found the amazonian group a little improbable: now that there are no men, we *really* hate men; the infrastructure is crumbling, first things first, let's maim ourselves! To their credit at least the writers avoided making the Last Man into a full-on male fantasy.

I'm not completely incurious as to what happens next, and there's plenty of time for development with four more volumes. The high praise that decorates the cover suggests that there's better to come, but this review, from a slightly disappointed reader, is limited to Volume 1.

Blur (Xbox 360)
Blur (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Four Way Split-screen Action, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Blur (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
A simple, knockabout arcade racer that you can dip into without losing too many hours. Choose a car from the list to suit the circuit, respray it, and start racing. Pick up power-ups for shields, repairs and speed boosts plus five offensive weapons including mines and heat-seeking fireballs; half of the pick ups can be fired forwards or behind you, and weapons can also be used to cancel incoming attacks. If you get wrecked or slide to a standstill, the game resets you at speed, giving you chance to catch the field.

Four player split-screen is great fun. Career mode can be a bit repetitive, but with specialised events for racing, accuracy with weapons and speed/skill in taking the bends, it's good practice for multiplayer. Great value for the price you can pick it up for in 2014.

FIFA 10 (Xbox 360)
FIFA 10 (Xbox 360)

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been Great, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: FIFA 10 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I got addicted to the combination of simple team management and playing the matches, but away from the on-pitch gameplay it was truly the most bug-infested game I've ever encountered.

The game would often freeze the Xbox as a match finished, with no option but to reset the machine and lose progress. Many hours were spent fiddling with the Xbox cache, downloading patches or trying to diagnose whether a button press at a certain time was causing the lock-up. Like returning to the days of the Commodore 64 with all the inconvenience and none of the nostalgia. Very frustrating, I enjoyed it and loathed it in equal measure, eventually selling it when my patience ran out.

Ninja Gaiden 2 (Xbox 360)
Ninja Gaiden 2 (Xbox 360)

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking Something of the Original, 21 Feb 2014
I enjoyed playing this through, but I prefer the original. The character design of the first was sometimes odd but in an interesting way. This time around I found it a little less interesting. The same with the level design, which I don't think matched the variety of Ninja Gaiden; I'm struggling to remember the environments and boss fights, whereas I can still recall much of the first game despite having played it years earlier.

Left 4 Dead 2 (Xbox 360)
Left 4 Dead 2 (Xbox 360)
Offered by AllGoodDealz

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 21 Feb 2014
Love the world, the character design, the graphics, the simplicity of getting from point A to B, the limited weapon carrying, and the multiplayer. The addition of new weapons and new 'special infected' improves upon the first version.

HDMIKing- 2 Meter (6.6 ft) HDMI KING Gold Plated, High Speed HDMI to HDMI Cable with Ferrite Cores [Fuss-Free Packaging]
Offered by RightPriceUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for Xbox to TV, 21 Feb 2014
Bought to connect my Xbox to my TV. Works perfectly well, audio and video both fine and have done since day of purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4